I get so hungry after working out, but what should I eat?

Options

Replies

• dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    I usually go with a protein shake at the gym until I can get home for a meal.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I usually eat dinner an hour or so later..

I can't eat right before or after a workout,,. I feel sick if I do.

i'm bad pre-workout. Usually too full from lunch and can't stomach anything else. But if I do it's something light and smal, like a banana or apple. Probably carbs instead of protein. I lost more weight when I ate more carbs versus protein. Plus I don't want to have to stick to a diet for the rest of my life.

You'd think the gym would make me hungry.. nope.. only on days when I do a ridiclously insane workout (like a class and weight and my abs workout) and even then normal dinner usually suffices.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    a can of cat food, a huff of glue, and rest is what i always follow up with...

As long as you can get to sleep while all those cats are outside meowing, you'll be fine, Frank
  • lissaloue
    lissaloue Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Stop giving out false information.

That's clearly a preworkout nutrition meal.

lol
  • Serendipityunt
    Serendipityunt Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If not a protein shake, then I'll usually grab a hard-boiled egg for the protein.
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Try drinking several cups of hot water. sometimes what we feel is thirst, but as hunger pangs. Drinking water slowly over 20 minutes makes a real difference.
  • NightMagic5
    NightMagic5 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Quite often I put 1/2 scoop of whey isolate in 1 cup of chocolate almond milk or mix it in 1/2 cup yogurt & berries. Sometimes I just eat fruit like pineapple (something not too high in sugar)
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Anything with high amount of protein is good after a work out. The protein helps the muscles recover faster.
    You could go shake, or bar or even grab a good meal that's rich in protein.
    Eating anything (good or bad) is better than not eating anything at all. After a workout, your body needs to refuel and if you don't eat, it will store the fat in your system instead of burning it.
    Almonds make pretty good snacks. You can place them in your car or in the locker room (given that you work in the gym) and you won't have to worry about them melting or anything.
    Pistachios also make great snacks.
  • jackieomara
    jackieomara Posts: 119 Member
    Options

omg @ your username/icon
  • samcat2000
    samcat2000 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If i'm in a pinch I eat 1 slice toasted Rudi's whole wheat bread with 2 teaspoons of natural peanut butter, and 1 teaspoon of jam/all fruit and drink lots of water. Tides me over until I can eat a real meal (usually about an hour later). About 180 cal, 6g fat, 6g protein.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I work out after work so I just have a glass of chocolate milk. It fills me up enough to finish my day and go to bed. Food is just too heavy at that time.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Protein bar
    protein shake
    Egg white omlet
    Humus and veggied
    humus and soy chips
  • thepotz
    thepotz Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    50g USN hardcore Protein and handfull of Almonds then a meal about 90 mins later!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Protein and simple carbs
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    dinner
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN is your main nutrient after a workout. I eat 4 egg whites+2 eggs w/yolk and grits or oatmeal. You can have a protein shake but you may want some actual food with it so you're not so hungry.

A good protein shake is Syntrax Matrix because it contains quick, medium, and sustained release protein.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Protein shake and than usually a meal within 1.5-2hrs.
  • OzarkMountainMan
    Options
    I've always struggled on what to eat after a workout. I get especially hungry after a workout too and I'm not the type to just snack on raw veggies unless dressing is involved. Are there any suggestions on what you fellow MPF'ers eat after a workout?

I'm a big tuna fan so I like tuna with tobasco sauce on it and I eat it before I work out not after. It gives your body fuel for the work out. This will usually carry you through till your next meal.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Yes i usually just eat my dinner after i work out i leave from work at 5 pm to get to the gym so i've usually eaten a few times already for the day. I try to have a snack of some sort before i head over to the gym though so i wont get too hungry during my workout. its usually a hard boiled egg, a banana, some cashews, maybe a granola bar? depending on my taste and how much lunch i ate.

After work out i usually just eat anything tuna fish is good, a nice turkey sandwich kicks *kitten*, chicken cutlet with bbq sauce and veggies works. anything really.
  • dcalentino
    dcalentino Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Protein shake, I put banana's in it.