Having an affair with measuring tape and HRM

Options
I knew for the longest time that MFP was over estimating calorie burns but I just figured maybe 300 at max! I never ate all my exercise calories back, but I was still eating them back with no idea how much I really burned. I kept trusting MFP at the end of every day saying that I would be X in 5 weeks if I kept it up. 5 weeks would come and I would not be X and I would be pissed at my scale and MFP.
I finally broke free from the abusive relationship of the scale and fell in love with measuring tape. Measuring tape doesn't lie. It doesn't mess with your head like the scale does. Measuring tape doesn't tell me that I've gained 15 inches in my waist over the weekend.

MFP still had a hold on me with it's estimates though....

Last week I finally bought a HRM (Polar FT4) and tested it out while playing Xbox Kinect Dance Central 2. The numbers from MFP "dancing, general" matched up to my 38 minutes of trying to get 5 stars on various songs for about 40 minutes.

I'm thinking great! My elliptical burns should match up too! When I finally was able to get the gym, I was in shock.

When I stepped on the elliptical and entered my information, it linked up to my HRM and already started to calculate. I was happy to not have to grab the handles to check it out. For 1 hour I worked out and at the end I was like O_O The machine had been right all this time (posted the same number as the HRM give or take 15-30 calories at times)

I got home and put the information into MFP.

9b7ef76f-bdf1-471d-920c-fbeffbcc4c70_zps92e021c8.jpg

How could you MFP!? 548 calories over!? Were you just teasing me with Dance Central 2?!

So now, hopefully, my weightloss speeds up a little since I won't be over eating on some days.

The lesson? Get a HRM and don't trust MFP.

Replies

• MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    (also posted on the blog)
  • keesha27
    keesha27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Girrrrllll.....that's why I loooovvvee my HRM. The reality is we don't know what information MFP is using to calculate calories burned. Calories burned are usually measured by a number of factors such as that person's weight and their intensity during the exercise. Clearly the numbers will vary. Having an HRM TRULY is the best way to get accurate results....
    I'm glad you broke down and bought one because now you'll have a precise data to determine your daily intake. Lesson learned and glad you'll be able to REALLY see a difference in the coming weeks. #excitedforyourresults
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I am going to test it out with my Leslie Sansone DVD's too. I find it funny that Dancing General and my HRM matched up almost exactly but was so off on the elliptical!
  • tonitass
    tonitass Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great choice in HRM. I bought the same one a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE IT. It is way more accurate than any estimates on MFP. Since then I have been consistantly losing. Great investment.
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    Great choice in HRM. I bought the same one a couple of weeks ago and I LOVE IT. It is way more accurate than any estimates on MFP. Since then I have been consistantly losing. Great investment.

Glad to hear!!
  • I recommend an HRM to everyone! I think a lot of people who start MFP don't under stand why they are stalled and not losing weight, it's becuase it over estimates what you've been burning!! I used to think I was burning over 1000 calories in a spin class becuase that's what MFP told me, it wasn't until I got my Polar FT7 that I learned I was burning just over 700, in some cases 500, that's a huge difference in the calories you can eat back!
  • youngzone
    youngzone Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's true! I use a Garmin Edge500 with a HRM & make my own notes. According to MFP (no disrespect) I should look like a Kenyan long distance champion. There is a DEFINITE big difference between MFP’s calculations and the HRM. On Sunday last I did a 33 mile ride for which the HRM had me@1538calories but MFP had me@2667, if you do the math that’s a another whole entire work out!!!. Stick with the HRM. There is also another website www.caloriesperhour.com I have found that to be a more true calculation & they tell you what inaccuracies may occur & why. HRMs forever!!!
  • difabu
    difabu Posts: 143
    Options
    I agree! I love my HRM! But, in MFP's defense, sometimes it's actually pretty close to what my HRM says. But that's usually for walking.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I baught my Polar 4tf about 2 weeks ago and it is always way more calories than I used to enter into MFP and whats on the machines at the gym. I am wondering if my HRM is lying to me..
  • MissTattoo
    Options
    I baught my Polar 4tf about 2 weeks ago and it is always way more calories than I used to enter into MFP and whats on the machines at the gym. I am wondering if my HRM is lying to me..

I guess it can go both ways! I would say the HRM since it has your height/weight/ and can detect your heart beat. Did you wet the strap and make sure the sensor is fully clicked in? I had funky readings when I tested it but found out I didn't wet the strap enough.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    We have the same HRM! It's my savior lately lol
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I recommend an HRM to everyone!

Yup.
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    When I run on the treadmill vs MFP it is pretty close to the amount of calories burned....
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't think MFP overestimates calories. I think it's based on whoever put in that number. If you're extremely overweight and do anything for a certain amount of time, it will be higher for you than someone smaller. The only number you enter is the time. It's not accounting for anything else.
  • Is MFP counting calories burned just during the workout or are they adding in after burn calories. After a workout the body still burns calories for another 8 or 9 hours..
  • wowsrz
    wowsrz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought the Polar FT4 a few weeks ago and I LOVE IT!! It is amazing what a difference in my actual calories burned according to my HRM is and what MFP gives you. I wear my HRM everytime I work out now so that I can get an accurate reading.

Has anyone worn their HRM swimming? It says that you can wear it bathing and swimming but I don't know anyone who has and I'm curious how well it worked and the comfort level while swimming.

Thanks all and best of luck!! :)
  • monikat85
    Options
    Great post!! I definitely agree with you. MFP can be way off in its counts and as much as I love tracking everything, I use my own numbers. Trust that HRM and measuring tape :) Keep up the great work!!!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    HRMs are much more accurate, but not exact, so still wouldn't eat back 100% of calories. If it has a VO2 on it d it frequently as it does make a bug difference to your burns as well as it having the correct weight.

Zara x
  • judykat7
    judykat7 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I am going to test it out with my Leslie Sansone DVD's too. I find it funny that Dancing General and my HRM matched up almost exactly but was so off on the elliptical!
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I noticed that the longer you exercise, the farther apart MFP gets from my HRM.

Example - If I exercised 30 minutes, any type, the numbers were usually 30-50calories different. If I exercised 45-60 minutes, the numbers were 100+ different depending on the exercise.

Not really sure why, maybe it has to do with your heart rate increasing and MFP just going steady? Who knows...but if I plan on doing a short workout, I generally don't bother with my HRM just because the numbers are usually close and I rarely can eat all my exercise calories back. But, if I know it's going to be a longer workout, I definitely go with the HRM