Hungry Girl

Options
ErinGiam
ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
A coworker of mine recently lent me her Hungry Girl cookbook, and for those of you who haven't checked it out yet..I HIGHLY reccomend it! Most of the recipes in it are super easy to use! So far I have already made the chicken pot pie, french toast and tuna salad and they were all amazing, yumm!
I think I have the older book though, is there a newer one out? Anyone who has it like it??

Replies

• missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Gonna check it out.
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'll have to check this out! I need some new ideas!
  • xdudeitsliz
    xdudeitsliz Posts: 38
    Options
    they are really really good, I own her newest book and love it but my one recommendation is that you watch the salt content because it is extremely high in most of the foods in the book. So if you do make some of the stuff, I recommend trying to buy no salt added stuff because the sodium content is through the roof! My enchilladas I made that were so yummy out of that book were like 1100 grams.. and thats about half of your days worth from one meal.. its kinda crazy! Lol
  • ErinGiam
    Options
    I'm glad you said that! I noticed the sodium content in almost all of the recipes is pretty high so that is something to definitely look out for.
  • crazyjkgirl
    crazyjkgirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    They are good! I made the chocolate peanut butter bread pudding the other day. WOW.

However, I wish that I could find a cookbook that didn't have such "easy" recipes but that were still healthy and included all nutritional values. I love to cook and throwing something together in 5 minutes is desirable sometimes but not all the time!
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    i have the 200 under 200 hungry girl cookbook... i love it ... but yes the sodium is very very high .....but very yummy and easy recipes
  • cotton1985
    cotton1985 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Is it possible with this cookbook to reduce the amount of salt that you add to the recipes in order to reduce the sodium in each recipe?
  • ErinGiam
    Options
    I just started cooking with it yesterday but I would imagine the only way to do that would be to just use either low-sodium products in place of some of the ones she reccomends or eliminate some if they aren't going to affect flavor of it. I also made a cake yesterday and only did half of the recipe so thats another way you could probably do it.
    In a lot of the recipes she says to salt and pepper the food to your liking, so obviously don't do that and I'm sure that will cut back some.
  • SugaNess
    SugaNess Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was looking at that cook book, I am gonna have to check it out...thanks for the heads up:smile:
  • anewg
    anewg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I too love these books, everything I've made has been great!

Crazyjkgirl - check out the South Beach diet cookbooks. Lots of great recipes that take a bit more effort to prepare. Each recipe contains the nutritional info and many are already on MFP!