Ladies who can do unassisted pullups

Options
13»

Replies

• ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I read that article a while back, and after reading the sentence about how "many fit people can't even do one unassisted pullup," all I could think was "If you can't even do one, you have no business calling yourself fit."

It took me a very long time, and I still struggle to do more than 2 or 3, but being able to do pullups is not about being male or female. It is largely about your level of leanness and your upper body strength relative to your weight. I think being able to do a pullup without assistance is one of the hallmarks of physical fitness. Set a goal and work hard to achieve it. Or let some random "journalist" tell that you can't do it because you're a woman ... whatever works for you.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't tested myself for maximum in awhile, but last I did test I could do 11 chin-ups & 9 pull-ups, unassisted. I'm pretty sure I can do a bunch more now.

I do the following most days to help me with upper body:
    5 pull-ups
    20 push-ups
    Repeat 5 times for a total of 25 pull-ups & 100 push-ups.
    I do every way possible, overhand, underhand, wide & close grips.

It took me awhile to work up to this, but you'd be amazed if you hang a bar up in your house, and do 1 everytime you walk by it, how fast you will improve. When you start being able to do 5 everytime you walk by, you start to get crazy strong. :)
  • GBOGH_5
    GBOGH_5 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The NY Times can kiss my butt while I am doing my unassisted pullups since it will be approximately the height of whoever wrote that blog.

"Don't you ever say never to me!"
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I started at Crossfit, I had to use the widest resistance band to do pullups. I have been at Crossfit for about 2 months and I have moved from that band to the thinner black band, and now I'm using an even thinner blue band. I can do multiple pullups with the band and I'm working on perfecting my kipping so I can do unassisted pullups. When I'm fresh, I can almost do one good one... I'm almost there!

Now, the other women at Crossfit are beasts. They're already way past regular pullups and working on their muscle-ups.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel weight is as much as a factor as people are making it out to be; it's more focused on upper body strength. I know guys who are 200lbs and can rock out 30, just as I know girls bigger than me that can do the same. Just as there are people of similar statures who cant even lift 10 lbs who are not going to be able to do a pullup. I also was the same weight in June and couldn't do more than 1 then. You can be as light as you want, that doesn't mean you'll have the strength or base to do them.

I think you'll find that's usually 200lbs of active muscle as opposed to excess fat - as in my case. If it's muscle it's assisting the pullup whereas if it's fat it's adding resistance.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I personally don't feel weight is as much as a factor as people are making it out to be; it's more focused on upper body strength. I know guys who are 200lbs and can rock out 30, just as I know girls bigger than me that can do the same. Just as there are people of similar statures who cant even lift 10 lbs who are not going to be able to do a pullup. I also was the same weight in June and couldn't do more than 1 then. You can be as light as you want, that doesn't mean you'll have the strength or base to do them.

I think you'll find that's usually 200lbs of active muscle as opposed to excess fat - as in my case. If it's muscle it's assisting the pullup whereas if it's fat it's adding resistance.

Of course. My guy friend that does this is stacked. That kinda hits my point; you can be whatever weight you want to be however without the upper body strength it isn't happening. Does lower body fat improve the reps? Yes I agree with that as well as somebody previously mentioned. But simply dropping to a lower weight without working on strength or practicing does not guarantee the ability to do them. Not being harsh, just know what goes into doing them.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    The NY Times says we don't exist:
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/25/why-women-cant-do-pull-ups/

Harumph. I've always been able to do a few, except when I'm carrying a little too much weight. In college when I was a competetive althlete, super lean and strong, I could do four. I started P90x a few months ago and pullups are a big part of it. I was probably at my heaviest (153 lbs) outside of pregnancy, and I couldn't do any. I did all of them with one leg resting on a chair. Now that I'm nearly three months in and 8 lbs lighter, I can do three unassisted overhand pullups and four reverse-grip chin ups. My goal is to lose a little more weight, get a little stronger and do 6 unassisted overhand.

Age - 41
    Height - 5'5"
    Weight 145
    Body fat- estimate base on measurements 25%

I'm also short waisted with wide shoulders and big lats. My build probably has lot to do with my lifelong ability to do them. But I know I'm not alone here...

Can you paraphrase the article since I cant see it at work. What is the thought behind women not being able to do a pull up. This makes me so depressed. My ultimate fitness goal is to be able to do a pull up soemthing I've never been able to do.
  • HLeAnn
    HLeAnn Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I can do 1, almost 2 pullups and 3 reverse grip chinups. I am 158 right now. When I was about 15 lbs heavier I couldn't do 1 either way. I have since began strength training regularly and I always add pullups to my upper body days, even if I can only squeeze out a couple.
  • vulgardisplayofjen
    Options
    Do i think pull-ups are harder for women than men? Yes, but I've seen plenty of guys struggling to do them in the gym as well. Regardless, the thing that bothers me about this "study" is that the sample size is only 17, they dont have a control group of males and they made it pretty clear that their workout plan needed tweaked. Like someone mentioned before, they've obviously never visited crossfit.com.
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The title is sensational and a bit misleading. The article itself goes on to explain that some fit women can do them, but others can't even though they are "fit". It then further explains what traits men and women who can do them tend to have in common (short stature, low body fat, strong upper body). The title doesn't do the subtlety in the article justice. I like the article actually.
    To find out just how meaningful a fitness measure the pull-up really is, exercise researchers from the University of Dayton found 17 normal-weight women who could not do a single overhand pull-up. Three days a week for three months, the women focused on exercises that would strengthen the biceps and the latissimus dorsi — the large back muscle that is activated during the exercise. They lifted weights and used an incline to practice a modified pull-up, raising themselves up to a bar, over and over, in hopes of strengthening the muscles they would use to perform the real thing. They also focused on aerobic training to lower body fat.

By the end of the training program, the women had increased their upper-body strength by 36 percent and lowered their body fat by 2 percent. But on test day, the researchers were stunned when only 4 of the 17 women succeeded in performing a single pull-up.

“We honestly thought we could get everyone to do one,” said Paul Vanderburgh, a professor of exercise physiology and associate provost and dean at the University of Dayton, and an author of the study. But Vanderburgh said the study and other research has shown that performing a pull-up requires more than simple upper-body strength. Men and women who can do them tend to have a combination of strength, low body fat and shorter stature.

Maybe the remaining 13 women could do them if they trained longer, maybe not. Maybe this same test with a larger sample size or a difference training method would yield different results, maybe not.

As a short woman who has historically gained muscle easily, I see this as hope that one day when I'm in better shape and at a proper weight, I might be like one of the 4 who learned to do a pull up. I've never successfully done one before.

It's no use fussing about the journalist. It was probably an editor who gave it the title and he/she was probably trying to fit it into a small space on the page and yet still grab lots of attention. Hence why they went with a short, but misleading title. It happens a lot.

Likewise, it's pretty common for the last paragraph or two of a news article to get chopped by editors or layout because they only have some many inches per page and have to work around ads and other articles. We may never know if the end of the article was chopped on any article you see in a print news paper (or it's online cousin). That's why they teach journalists to write from most important to least important--so the ends can get chopped without cutting the important parts.
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I am 5"2, weigh 104 lbs and have 20.2% body fat.

THEN:

It took me nearly 10 months to do ONE unassisted pull-up because I worked out alone for the better part of 2012 and didn't want to hurt myself (yes, I was a pile of chicken doo-doo). I had no idea I could do it until my strength training buddy dared me to last October.

NOW:

When I am in a normal-ish mood, I can do four sets of five or six unassisted pull-ups each, with 2-minute set breaks.

When I enter beast mode, I will do 10.

This week I've decided to make life a lot harder for myself: I'm slowing down my tempo by one second up and one second down, so now I do four sets of three unassisted pull-ups. Same set breaks.

After I am done with all four sets, I curl up into a little ball and whimper like a baby during my break before my next routine.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I was able to do 4 ( 2 sets of 2 :) last year but haven't been able to repeat the performance. But I'm working on it. I bought a pull up bar for our house.
  • shesquats
    shesquats Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    That's b*ll****! I'm still working my way to unassisted and I'm almost there. Practice, practice, practice and you can do it. I'm 42 yo and 4'11" and 116 lbs.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I will one day prove that article wrong!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Last time I tried I could do 3 unassisted reverse grip chin-ups. The next day I pulled a rib muscle though and haven't tried again since. That was a month ago and I'm still working back to it. Can't wait until I can do it again and then keep adding more!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I can do them...
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    I can, but not so much of an achievement as I'm short and light. :)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the posting the article, which I found interesting. It isn't saying that women who do pullups don't exist, though! It says that in a small study of 17 women who trained in a particular way for 3 months, only 4 could do a pullup. That's almost a quarter of those women. What the article seems to be saying is that it's not all about strength either - there are other factors which make it more difficult for women.

I agree with Bambam25 - it might be a case of an editor putting in a title which is at odds with the article.

I have never been able to do a pull-up or chin-up and would love to one day! I've been working on it for months and I have got stronger, but still nowhere near doing one. Judging by this article I don't have much hope with my current high body fat, but at least I'm short!
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Ok...Game on! I am inspired! I use that assist machine at the gym. I set it at 70 lbs which is about 1/2 of my weight, and do 10-12 pull ups 2 sets using different grips. Next time I go, I will set the weight to 35 and see what happens. My left shoulder bursitis may not like it, but I'm giving it a shot anyway. Would love to be able to do this!