I get so hungry after working out, but what should I eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    After a workout I like a mix of carbs and protein, but nothing too heavy. I usually do a smoothie or a cottage cheese with some yogurt.
  • mokeefe012
    mokeefe012 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try miracle noodles...zero carbs/zero calories. use as replacement for pasta,rice,stir fry,etc. they absorb the taste of whatever they are cooked with. easy to make just follow prep directions. they are made from Japanese Yam plant. U can often get them 50% off with groupon,google offers, eversave,etc. they have worked GREAT for me at least and I know many others that use them as well and like them
  • KDamon192
    Options
    You need protein following a workout. If you workout in the morning, try eggs (you can hardboil them the night before); if you workoutn later in the day, try a smoothie (add 1 Tblsp peanut butter); or a protein bar.
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I drink a protein shake to help my muscles. I'd advise any high protein meal. It'll help in the rebuilding of your muscles and it will fill you up better also stay with you longer. With protein what your body doesn't use to help rebuild it will not store it like carbs, fat, etc....
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I always drink a shake!
  • alishacupcake
    alishacupcake Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I work out after work. So I usually do Greek yogurt (I just fell in love with Greek yogurt and honey) or cheese of some sort. Then a couple hours later I do a light dinner. I feel I should add that I don't work out hardcore. I do like 30-45 mins on the treadmill or some lifting, but I'm usually starving the rest of the day.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    i make sure i have a banana or an apple (pref a banana) in my gym bag for when im dying afterwards. the other day i tried (with my new stick blender thing) milk and strawberries and it was DELICIOUS!!!!
  • MimiCro
    MimiCro Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    first, start off with a protein shake, and a banana, (depending what workouts are you doing)
    get home, take a break for an hour -2, and eat some good piece of meat, with cup of whole grain spaghetti, rice, or a tortilla, that will fill u up good.
    or just make a smoothie to take with u to gym, add strawb, full fat milk or yogurt, and mix in a banana...
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    What you should eat at every meal

A healthy balance of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates.

I usually do broccolli, sweet potatoe, and salmon.

or

Pizza

This. and make sure its from good sources too.

Dominos or Little Caesars are not good sources...
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Protein shake. And then dinner an hour or so later (I work out after work).
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    I have been trying to get into a habit of a snack with protein and carbs about 1 hr before (nothing too big ) and something similar within 30 min of my workout. Lately it has been some mixed nuts, almonds or string cheese but I usually mix up my favorite protein shake and drink half before and half after.
  • dmarhal
    dmarhal Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Easy to digest carbs before your workout. Protein after, especially if you weight train.
  • KristineW78
    KristineW78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN
  • dmiller1974
    Options
    Try to get a balance of protein and carbs. 2 scoops of your favorite protein powder with some almond milk and a banana, made into a shake. A medium apple with 1 T of peanut butter. Half of an avocado sprinkled with sea salt and lime juice. A small baked potato topped with salsa and 1 T low fat cheddar. There are so many things you can do! The main thing is to find things that you enjoy eating and not to overdo it! =)
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I've always struggled on what to eat after a workout. I get especially hungry after a workout too and I'm not the type to just snack on raw veggies unless dressing is involved. Are there any suggestions on what you fellow MPF'ers eat after a workout?

Protein - eggs are especially good and chicken is excellent.

The protein will fill you up and help repair any tears to your muscles (even minute, teeny-weeny ones) that have occurred during your workout.
  • proton77
    proton77 Posts: 409
    Options
    I know how that feels. I workout about an hour or two before dinner this was never a problem for me :) I do drink a protein shake right after workout before I eat dinner.
  • PhiSigAmber
    PhiSigAmber Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually have a scoop of protein powder in 8oz of unsweetened almond milk and a small banana. Sometimes I mix it up and take 3oz of yam (cooked in microwave) instead of the banana. Find something you like that has a good balance of protein and healthy carbs, and try to eat within 30 minutes of working out!
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have been participating in Nike Training Club for about 2 weeks. Last night, I did it and eat a normal dinner. 3 hours later, I was starving after heading home from a late night meeting! I stopped and purchased some food that I didn't really want to eat because I couldn't go to bed that hungry. I had to research hunger after workout because I felt that incident was counter productive. I found this helpful.
  • munsterisque
    Options
    My understanding is that right after a workout, your body is low on Blood Sugar. So the best thing to do is take down a Gatorade or something similar.

The Protein Shake can follow later...maybe 30 minutes or an hour later.