Memorial Weekend and Family Get-togethers....what to do?

Options
sroseber
sroseber Posts: 197 Member
So I'm really looking forward to the upcoming long weekend (who doesn't look forward to an extra day off work!) I'm also going to get to spend some time visiting with my aunt and uncle from out of state that I lived with for about a year and a half when I was in college. I don't see them much anymore (since they live 1000 miles away!) and I really miss them. Unfortunately tied into this visiting is what is always tied into family get-togethers...FOOD. And with my family (aside from maybe my immediate family) it's not healthy food. The realization of this just hit me a little bit ago. I've been doing so good this week and don't want to ruin it this weekend but also don't want to be anti-social or seem rude. I think it's a cook-out at my mom's, so I think I'm going to talk to her and see if she would be offended if I brought my own burgers/hot dogs (maybe turkey ones or something lower cal/healthier) and maybe a side, maybe even something she was planning on having and just make a healthier version...it really wouldn't hurt anyone that's going to be there. Being overweight is a problem for most people in my family. I hope she's ok with that...I think she will be. Now to figure out what side to take....

I know I'm not the only one with this problem. What's everyone else doing to stay on track over a holiday weekend?

Replies

• Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I make sure I get a good calorie burn that morning. Second I eat whatever they eat just half of it. I have Ipod app and I walk around with it in my hand the entire time. At the last BBQ I ate a hot dog without the bun, half of hamburger, crawfish, and 1/2 a cup grilled beans. After I ate I left the kitchen and just talked to family.

I am not really sure what you can bring as a side bc I tend to not like the sides at BBQ. You can bring lite hot dogs and very lean ground chuck. You can also bring either lite or whole wheat buns.
  • Crysta1976
    Crysta1976 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    This has been on my mind the past few days as well. I'm going on a week long vacation with my parents, brother and SIL and niece. Due to some family issues, it's going to be a bit stressful as it is. Food is usually our way "mending things" or at least taking our mind off of stuff.

Well, my brother and I have recently both gone to a gluten free diet. He also took himself off of all inflammatory foods like peppers, tomatoes, salt and dairy...and all white starches. My dad is diabetic and my niece is vegetarian. It sound like a really bad joke. lol Family meals are going to be interesting, yet boring! At least in comparison to what we would have all eaten 6 months ago. At least our options that we have left are pretty healthy for the most part.

I'm pretty sure our meals will consist of fish (which my niece will eat), avocado, brown rice and sweet potatoes. There is a lot you can do with those 4 ingredients though, luckily.

I hope your mom is not offended by wanting to "alter" the menu a little... or bring your own meats or whatever. She should be proud of you for sticking to it!!!!

If you come up with any interesting suggestions, let us know!!! Good luck and have a happy and safe holiday!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My bf & I are going to the Bodies exhibit in Dallas and then to Six Flags where I'm sure we'll eat crap (I'm going to make sure we eat lunch before, probably Wendy's where I can get a lot of protein to keep me full and for not many calories - love their chili!, but I do love me some pink things so I'm sure I'll eat plenty of ice cream at Six Flags) but I usually walk 5-6 miles when there so I'm not too worried.

I'd say just make sure you get a good calorie burn early on in the day and eat small, FILLING meals before you go so when you eat, you have some wiggle room.
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I agree with getting a good workout in before the day really starts. Side dishes I would suggest:

Salsa and triscuits
    veggie pladder
    Veggie burgers (Morning Star Pizza burgers are 120 cal and really yummy)
    Sandwhich thins for buns.
    Make the side of lettace and tomato to put on the burgers and pile it high
    Green chili or salsa is a great substitute for ketchup and mustard.
  • sroseber
    Options
    Crysta1976: I don't think my mom will be offended. She's fought with her own weight issues for as long as I can remember. I've "dieted" on and off over the last several years (my weight problems started in college) losing and gaining. But this time it's not a "diet", I refuse to use that word. I am changing the way I eat from now on. I'm making the little changes necessary to eat healthier and lose weight but I'm not denying myself anything really. Everything in moderation, this has got to be something that will fit into my lifestyle for the rest of my life or it won't stick this time either.

When I used MFP the last time I lost weight (and then quit using MFP and gained it all back) I would talk to her about what I was doing and she was supportive and maybe even a little curious. So I think she'll be fine with whatever I want to do.

Since it's a cookout and we'll be outside most of the time I'm hoping to get some exercise running around with the kids/dog and maybe even taking a walk up their road. Wish there were going to be more people there my age and we had a volleyball net or something and could do something active. Hmm....what can we plan on doing that's active that doesn't require a lot of people to join in and won't seem like we're being rude or anti-social if we do without the rest of the family....

My parents have a pretty big yard, maybe we could take our golf clubs and some practice balls and practice our swing. My daughter would join in in that probably and my uncle plays golf so maybe he'd get involved too. Hmm...gonna have to thing about this one a little.
  • leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    There's never anything wrong with taking your own food IMO. I always try to do it in a way that doesn't draw too much attention so as to avoid the inquisition. Make a healthy dish to share too. If you take a fave and healthify it, I bet nobdy will know. I do it all the time. Eat a little before you go, keep some nuts in your purse to munch on and trigger your satiety hormones, get a good burn in that morning, and finally, if you go over, don't beat yourself up.

I'm going up to Northern Michigan for the weekend to my BFFs parents house. They live on alot of land with 4 wheelers and bonfires, near Lake Huron. We spend the whole time there drinking beer and doing nothing. It is wonderful!:drinker:

This will be my first gluten free vegan summer. I can tell you, it was hard enough being vegetarian and off most processed foods as it was. Basically, I can't eat any of their food but the potato chips. I even have to find my own beer! :grumble: And if I run out, I doubt I'll be able to buy more up there. In a place that is populated by hunters, they don't take to my kind very well:laugh: :wink:

My plan is to prepare some foods in advance, take lots of fresh lettuce, take veggie burges, and soy milk. I'll have to plan the menu in advance and leave room for extras. You know, in case I don't want what I brought and get tempted to risk eating something bad.

Most of my food is low cal and healthy anyway, but I want to splurge a little. I'll make my own versions of potato salad and dips to share. (Nobody can EVER tell the difference) And I'm sure I'll eat more chips than neccessary, lol.

My goal is that each morning before we start drinking and eating blindly, to get in my 8 glasses of water and a decent workout. The land is so beautiful, I might as well run, hike, do cartwheels, and just be in nature for the beginning part of the day. I'll also try to keep track of what I eat, but I doubt that'll last past day 1, lol.:embarassed:

Happy memorial weekend!:drinker:
  • sroseber
    Options
    The way I've been eating is one serving of lean protein, one serving of low GI fruit or veggie, and one serving of a healthy (usually, I don't beat myself up if occasionally it's not) starchy veggie, whole grain bread or pasta or rice. I try to eat something every 2-3 hour including healthy snacks of fruit, nuts, small amounts of cheese, etc. in between meals. I want to keep my meals around 300-500 cals (most so far have been around 300) and my snacks around 100-200.

Since my family's get-togethers are known for their grazing abilities I think I'll be able to make it all work out. I'll get some low cal turkey dogs or kosher hot dogs, maybe some turkey burgers or extra lean ground beef, some wheat buns (the brand of bread/buns we use are very low cal and high fiber) and then take a salad or veggie tray or something like that (maybe both, veggie trays are great for guilt-free snacking)

As far as the exercising goes, I hate exercise...there I said it. :embarassed: So scheduled trips to the gym or DVD workouts typically don't work for me in my lifestyle (I've done it before and I totally get the benefits but it's just VERY hard for me to get motivated to do it) I take walks, trying to do more all the time, and I play golf with my husband and daugther and try to walk the course as much as possible when we do. I have to get exercise in my daily life because I don't have (or make) the to go to the gym or put in a DVD or the motivation. And I'm doing this for life this time so I want to find ways to fit exercise into my life instead of fitting my life around my exercising. I think I will eventually start doing some ab work, I strangely don't mind it too much and like what it does for my tummy :bigsmile: but right now I'll be sticking to eating right, drinking my water and getting my walks in as much as I can.

:happy: Disclaimer: I have nothing against gyms or workout dvds or anyone who uses them...they are great for lots of people and if I had more time I might learn to love them too. If you use them you are awesome, and I admire you so much! (Honestly I wish I did love exercise, then maybe I wouldn't be in this position!)
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I'm with the work out in the morning people! Also, don't let one day make or break you. Losing weight does not mean you won't ever get to splurge at a picnic with family - it just means that that is only a few times a year! If you hold back to the point that you resent it, it won't become a lifestyle. Cheat days here and there are OK. it's the pattern that will determine if you lose or gain weight.
  • sroseber
    Options
    I'll also try to keep track of what I eat, but I doubt that'll last past day 1, lol.

I have the MFP iPhone/iPod app on my iPod Tough and since it works offline now I keep it with me at all times so I can record whatever I eat whenever I eat it. So far it's been great to have. Hopefully it will work this weekend too. :wink:

Have fun on your trip, be safe, and good luck with the eating...sounds like you have much more of a challenge than I do! :drinker:
  • baileyvows
    baileyvows Posts: 7
    Options
    I think there is tremendous mental benefit in giving yourself a day off from dieting. Enjoy yourself for the day. Tomorrow is a new day to be good. I have also found that the occassional "bad" day gives a boost to your metabolism. :flowerforyou:
  • sroseber
    Options
    I think there is tremendous mental benefit in giving yourself a day off from dieting. Enjoy yourself for the day. Tomorrow is a new day to be good. I have also found that the occassional "bad" day gives a boost to your metabolism. :flowerforyou:

I plan to have "cheat days" or at least "cheat meals" maybe once a week but since I don't really deny myself of anything on my eating plan "cheating" isn't as big of a deal as if I were "dieting". Biggest thing is that I don't want to take a holiday weekend cookout and binge and lose a weeks worth of work. Especially since I just got re-started this past Sunday. I'm taking the temptations of the upcoming weekend as a challenge. Who's coming away from a holiday weekend having lost weight? I plan too! :wink:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    If you are able, I would definitely work out. I know that is harder when you are not at home though!

I'm visiting family over the long weekend as well and wondering what to do about staying on track. My family has weight problems as well (though not as much as I do right now!) and just the rush-rush of holiday weekends doesn't help staying on track!

I think I am going to map out a walking route around my mom's house and see if I can get a workout in at least one day while I am there. If I exercise at home Friday before I leave, get in a walk Saturday there, and get in a walk there Monday or do something here once I get home, I think I'll be good exercise-wise.

As for food... well, it's all about figuring out how to fit life into healthy eating goals. I also see no problem with bringing your own food in moderation (chicken or healthier meat to throw on the grill... or a fruit salad or WATERMELON! for everyone to share). Outside of that, try to find healthy choices where you can. Eat oatmeal for breakfast (you can even bring some from home to cook there). Bring some fruit to snack on. Pick healthier choices at family get-togethers (even if "healthier" means eating a burger with tons of veggies and skipping the bun & cheese). Drink water. I've discovered those little things add up a lot.
    4507 Posts: 5
    Options
    Are you the only one in your family who wants/needs to improve nutrition and fitness? Most likely not! By all means take something healthy -- a bowl of fresh fruit or berries, a watermelon cut in chunks, a platter of raw veggies with low-fat dip. You can enjoy the lighter food along with small portions of heavier items, and you can be an encouragement to others, too. I did this once at a family reunion where rich goodies are the norm, and several people made appreciative comments about including something light. A family that really cares about you will be supportive and not insist that you eat what will be harmful to you.