How do you curb the craving???

Options
Hi, I'm Jenn......and I fell of the wagon!!!

But now I'm getting back on and this is the problem I have been having since Christmas. I am a huge sweets/ice cream lover. If there is a cookie in front of me, I have to have it. If there are 5 cookies in front of me....I have to have all of them. I've learned how to curb this before but have somehow lost my way.

So, I guess my question to all of you is.......

How do you curb your cravings? I'm looking for some different ideas besides drink a lot of water! Yes, I know this is important...and I do try my hardest to drink as much water as I can. But, sometimes this just does not kill the cravings. Any ideas would be very VERY helpful!

Sincerely,
Trying to get back on the healthy wagon!!!!

Replies

• MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Found something awesome to curb the ice cream craving: Island Way sorbets. They sell them in Costco, they come in the shell of the fruit. They're only between 60-80 cals each, and they're awesome.

Also, Skinny Cow is a GREAT brand. Their caramel truffle is 100 cal and to die for!
  • biggsexy7
    biggsexy7 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but I workout. When I put the time in at the gym I won't let myself eat junk because I put in the work. Now if I talk myself out of the gym I find myself cheating on my diet too. Also I eat high protein foods. It stays with ya longer then most foods. I eat protein bars to help with the snake cravings. I get the best of both worlds that way.
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I had to cut out all refined carbs, sugar, flour, etc. Once it got out of my system the cravings went away. I substitute with almonds when I need something to munch on. I can't eat all I want but I can have about 20 of them. Eaten one at a time they satisfy the crunch without triggering a sugar craving.

PS you really have to watch for hidden sugar, like in peanut butter. I eat PB but only natural ground peanuts, no added sugar.

Good Luck.
  • lizlucas1
    lizlucas1 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know that feeling all too well.

Before I explain, I have to tell you what my cravings are. Yes, sweets and ice cream are them, but not as much as soda and candy and fast food. I've enjoyed soda all my life and that is where my craving twists come into play. Another huge one for me is eating out, particularly fast food chains like Taco Bell (which I love), and Carl's Jr. I find that cravings really come down to full length will power. Giving you a good example is today I am craving sweets, soda, candy, sugar, and junk food like crazy. But what am I doing? I'm sitting here at the computer, posting a response to you, and applying for jobs. It comes down to willpower. One of the proudest moments I've had since I started dieting was when I was driving home and fighting with myself on making a "quick stop" to Taco Bell for some MexiMelts and Bean Burritos. This internal battle took the whole drive home, until I found myself taking the exit to turn home instead of to Taco Bell.

It comes down to willpower. You have to be fully aware of your actions and what you're doing. See yourself reach for that cookie, and tell yourself "NO! Not today!" Or find healthier substitutes that will satisfy the craving but also keep you fool. Granola bars help a lot in that area, and sweet fruit, like strawberries or raspberries, help in satisfying the sweet-tooth craving, but also train your senses to go "Okay, cookie = bad, healthier snacks = good." Train yourself, train your mind, and train your willpower. That's what is comes down to for me. And I'm not completely perfect with it myself.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have a serious sweet tooth also. I know I won't be "sugar free" for life .... so I allow myself small indugences, I plan for them.

Try finding something that is portion controlled AND truly represents the thing you crave. If it's too diet, it might not hit the spot..... carob vs. chocolate .... I don't thinks so.

Because chocolate is my thing .... Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares hit the spot: built in portion control, and dark chocolate is "more" chocolate and less sugar... not exactly health food ... but improved somewhat
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think there's a few things you can do.
    First, yes, you have to let it get out of your system. The more healthy choices you make, the more you'll want to fill your body with healthy items and the other things will start to taste "off". So know that it won't go away overnight - but keep working at it. Each day you make a concious decision about what to put in your body.

Don't buy the "crap" food - keep it out of your house. Do not even give yourself the temptation of eating it. If it's not there, you won't eat it.

Do you have a good friend on MFP? Let them see your food journal - and ask them to check it weekly/daily/whatever. Knowing someone is going to look at it and honestly ask you about that bag of chips you ate makes a difference.

If you're a fast food junkie (I've been there!), try planning out your meals a week in advance. Most of my problem was that by the end of the day, I was exhausted and just didn't want to go through the process of figuring out what was for dinner, do we have the ingredients?, cooking it, etc. If you can plan ahead, you know you're commited - you already bought the groceries!

Keep up the good work!
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    This might sound completely crazy but it has helped me with my late night cravings (not hunger - when I'm hungry I have a healthy snack). But if it's just a craving I brush my teeth - weird - maybe, but it's worked for me. When I get the feeling that I'd like to have something I shouldn't late at night I brush and floss my teeth and tell myself that if I eat something now I'll just have to brush and floss them all over again before bed. Might sound lazy, but it's worked for me. :)