Protein Powders...???

Options
Aloha Friends!

I was wondering your thoughts on protein powders. I have been strength training a lot more than I usually have in the past and now I am looking for lean muscles. I have never taken protein before and want to try it... but I am very skeptical about it at the same time. Thoughts on if I should try it out, or should I just aim for a higher protein diet? Can anyone suggest a clean protein what will help me build the lean muscles we all crave? Brand/flavor?

Thanks!

Also... Add me! We can learn lots from each other!

Replies

• mapnerd2005
    Options
    chocolate milk is a good alternative. I like the organic horizons low fat one. But as for protein powder, I like the GNC's Amplified line. I've only had the cookies n' cream and the chocolate, and I mix them with milk instead of water. Taste pretty good, won't break the bank but are still expensive.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Protein is more satiating than fats or carbs so high protein intake is good for weight loss. If you're able to take in adequate protein from your diet (1g/lb of LBM) than a protein supplement is unnecessary but it's a good way to add protein into your diet otherwise.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes give you large amounts of protein for low calories (or should). Typically, you will want to take a shake just before or after your workout. You can also use the below as a meal replacement if you are eating 6 times a day. There is quick-release protein and sustained release protein. This is explained by Syntrax below.

I would avoid Soy Protein as Whey Protein provides more benefits, and soy produces estrogen and lowers testosterone, which is a negative effect when trying to build muscle (especially for a man).

Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Whey Protein Shakes (the only difference between Matrix 2.0 and 5.0 is the size of the container - either 2lbs or 5 lbs, so 2.0 is cheaper if you're just wanting to try it out.
    http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm

When I started with my personal trainer last year, she put me on these shakes. I think they taste pretty good, especially for a whey protein shake without adding a bunch of sugar or fat. She chose these because this is what a doctor would give bariatric patients. It contains sustained release protein and comes in a variety of flavors. I like the Orange Cream (if you like orange creamsicle) to start with, but they have plenty of choices: Banana Cream, Cookies and Cream, Creamy Vanilla, Milk Chocolate, Mint Cookie, Strawberry Cream, Perfect Chocolate, and Simply Vanilla. Syntrax also has a version called Nectar that is a quick (rather than sustained) release protein, but has more of a fruit or sweet flavor.

Each scoop contains about (varies slightly per flavor):
    23 grams of Protein
    1.5 grams of Fat
    2 grams of Carbohydrates
    2 grams of Sugar
    120 Calories

You want to take them before or after your workout, or as a meal replacement snack.

You can buy them at Vitamin Shoppe (not Cottage) or online. I pay about $45 for a 5lb ($28 for a 2lb) bag that should last about a month (to 6 weeks depending on number of scoops) if taken twice a day every day. If you go to Vitamin Shoppe you can usually get either free or $2 sample packs of the different shakes to try.

The Problem: Protein powders that are low in quality, contain fat-inducing maltodextrin, taste horrible, require a blender to mix properly and contain only one very fast-acting protein. No doubt that most of these products are cheap, but who wants to gag something down day after day that's neither convenient nor beneficial?

The Solution: Matrix protein powders. Taking years to properly formulate, Matrix solves all of the problems currently afflicting those other low-grade protein powders. Most importantly, Syntrax completely stayed away from cheap, inferior protein sources, such as denatured sodium and calcium caseinate. They know that to be the best, they had to use only the highest quality protein sources, such as ultrafiltered whey protein, ultrafiltered milk protein, native egg albumin and glutamine peptides. The costs are much higher, but the rewards are significant. These proteins not only taste great, but they are unmatched in their ability to improve overall health as well as build critical bodily tissues and processes.
    To make the highest quality product in the industry, Syntrax knew they had to do even more. They decided that they would no settle for anything but the best tasting protein powder on the market. After countless trials, they arrived at several delicious flavors that are pure ecstasy to consume.
    Completing the solution to the problem, Matrix is thoroughly instantized so that every scoop dissolves perfectly in your favorite beverage. No more disgusting clumps or blenders that dirty your kitchen... with Matrix, you only need a spoon!

Syntrax Matrix 5.0 - The Facts

What is Matrix?
    Matrix is a blend of the highest quality protein concentrates in the industry.
    What makes Matrix higher quality than the competition?

Matrix contains a combination of 3 different high-quality proteins: whey protein, micellar casein and egg albumin (egg white protein).

Why a blend of different proteins instead of just one protein?
    Indeed, there are several very high-quality protein sources, such as egg, casein and whey; however, none of them are perfect in every aspect. All of these protein sources are equal in terms of overall health and growth of lean body tissue, but each has its specific physiological strengths and weaknesses. For instance, egg protein is considered the gold standard protein source. Not only does it perfectly support lean tissue growth and maintenance, but it contains a host of growth factors and micronutrients. The downside is that it is very expensive. Whey protein, on the other hand, has been shown to be the fastest metabolized protein source and to have superior immune-stimulating abilities. Casein has been shown to be the slowest metabolized protein source, which makes it superior for providing muscle tissue with amino acids over an extended period of time. Thus, even though ingesting one protein source has many benefits, ultimately the best course of action is to consume several high-quality protein sources in order to minimize the weaknesses and maximize the strengths of each source.

When is the best time to consume Matrix?
    Because it contains proteins which are metabolized both quickly and slowly, Matrix is an ideal protein source for any time of the day. Some people will consume a fast-acting protein source, such as whey protein, after a workout and consume a slow-acting protein source, such as casein, before bedtime. Since Matrix contains slow (casein), medium (egg) and fast (whey) acting proteins, it is ideal for any situation. It has the ability to bombard lean body mass quickly with amino acids as well as provide the body with these same nutrients over an extended period of time.

Is Matrix a superior protein for those with medical conditions, such as bariatric surgery patients?
    Yes! Matrix's amino acid profile is best out of any protein on the market. Furthermore, because it provides the unique benefits of three different protein concentrates, it offers the best opportunity for increasing overall health and well being . . . from optimizing lean body mass and adipose levels to supporting an ideal antioxidant status to maintaining proper kidney and immune system function.

How can Matrix 5.0 be so economical if it contains more expensive proteins?
    Notice that Matrix 5.0 is packaged in a high-quality laminated bag. There are considerable savings in packaging with this method, which consequently offset the increased costs of the proteins. Do not worry about freshness! The laminate used for Matrix 5.0's bag is an oxygen and moisture barrier structure which works as well or better than the typical plastic jug. Furthermore, it contains a recloseable zipper for convenience and uses less of our precious non-renewable resources.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    In general I would strive for a higher protein diet through whole foods. However if you are like me I still need help to meet my macros and I use a protein shake to help out. Also good for my quick protein fix after a workout.

When you go to a good health food store (or some searches on line) there are some good "grass-feed" organic hormone-free Whey powders. I would go that route first if you are not dairy sensitive.
    https://radiant-health.myemeraldstore.com/app/individual_config.php?product_id=3

There are also some quality Egg White protein powders. (Jay Rob being a favorite)

I stay away from Soy (almost if not all soy is GMO) and anything labeled "hydrolyzed" as that can often affect the nutritional value (strange byproducts)

I have several Vegan/Veg ones I go to and will recommend if interested.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    blah blah blah let me sell you this...

The Problem: Protein powders that are low in quality, contain fat-inducing maltodextrin, taste horrible, require a blender to mix properly and contain only one very fast-acting protein. No doubt that most of these products are cheap, but who wants to gag something down day after day that's neither convenient nor beneficial?

The Solution: Matrix protein powders. Taking years to properly formulate, Matrix solves all of the problems currently afflicting

blah blah blah this is why you need to eat more of it

...and how much are you paid? :D

ETA: removed a lot of excess sales pitch.
  • MimiCro
    MimiCro Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    just look for some low in sugar, thats it....
  • AshleyPauline21
    Options
    i myself like body fortress it has a great taste and comes in 3 flavors strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla. Also you can mix it with either milk or water and the milk gives you an extra 8g of protein. I have found that it helps to replace fat with muscle and its best after a nice work out and it doesnt make you excessivly thirsty like most protein powders do. Hope this helps
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I've been using Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey protein. I got it at Walmart, it was 18 bucks for a container. 160cals, 30g protein, 8g carbs, 1g fat per scoop. I mix it with almond milk or 1% milk and will throw a banana in as well. It mixes easy if you shake it, but with the banana I use a hand blender. Sometimes I'll double up on the protien powder and add some peanut butter along with the milk and banana and get a 485 calorie shake.

I can't vouch for how good it is or isn't compared to other brands, but it's ok for me. It tastes good and mixes well. I've used other stuff in the past that didn't mix nearly as well and was like drinking a cup of sand, so to me this is good. I just started using this a week or so ago and bought it to try out.
  • lilgemforgets
    Options
    I use diet PHD beguim chocolate. Tastes nice and is ow in cals. I find it really helps wit my muscle recovery too!
  • coryp12
    coryp12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Now Sports Whey Protein, Natural, no flavoring or sugar added. I picked up a big container on Amazon. They had the best price but pretty sure others have it too.

I tried flavored powders but didn't like them.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I love EAS by Abbott. I drink it with Almond Milk.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    US... Jay Robb. Tastes amazing, great macros.

Uk: Usn IGF-1 Strawberry. Tastes good. Good numbers.
  • GainsAndGuitars
    Options
    I've tried a few different whey proteins. My new favorite is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. Right now the flavor I am loving (as well as being one of the best flavors I have ever had) is the Mocha Cappucino one.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Or just eat another chicken breast. Powders and bars are good if you cannot get enough protein from your regular diet.
  • carlom18
    carlom18 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ON 100% gold standard whey. i saw that many people swore by it and said it was good. I tried it and it is so far, so good.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options

...and how much are you paid? :D

ETA: removed a lot of excess sales pitch.

Bah, I wish - that is all on the package/website just figured I'd save the time of going there and it provides an overall explanation of different proteins

information is good :smile:
  • ninjapixie87
    ninjapixie87 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Of course, the best way to get protein is naturally, through foods. But if you're looking for a suppliment, whey protein (as opposed to soy) is the way to go.

I started out with GNC's Amplified Wheybolic protein powder. The chocolate is good (esp with milk), the vanilla tastes too fake for me. It works if you want something by itself.

Then I got a sample of BiPro in the mail, and I love it! It has no sugar, and no flavor, and only 80 calories per scoop/packet for 20g of protein. I haven't tried it by iteself, but it's perfect for adding to stuff like smothies because I can't taste it in there at all, and I'm not wasting calories on fake flavoring or sugar. (More info here: http://www.biprousa.com/bipro/facts)
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    I would go with a whey protein. Honestly, and this might cause uproar for some, but the brand of protein doesn't necessarily matter. Protein is protein. Just make sure you're going for one that isn't full of fillers, theres 4 cals per gram of protein, for example if a serving has 24 grams of protein, take note of the calories per serving, then multiply 4 by 24 and subtract your answer from the number of calories, from there you'll know if your protein powder has as little fillers as possible.

But in simpler terms :laugh: A scoop will generally have 100-120 calories and 22-25 grams of protein. You don't need to go for the most well-known or expensive brand. Shop around and find a good deal!
  • staceywilk
    staceywilk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i myself like body fortress it has a great taste and comes in 3 flavors strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla. Also you can mix it with either milk or water and the milk gives you an extra 8g of protein. I have found that it helps to replace fat with muscle and its best after a nice work out and it doesnt make you excessivly thirsty like most protein powders do. Hope this helps

I use Body Fortress as well (available at Walmart) I mix 1 scoop of vanilla with 1c low fat milk and 1c frozen berries = 320 calories. I drink this most mornings after my workout. In the past, I've used water instead of milk to save the 110 calories, but prefer the creaminess of milk.
  • Graham_077
    Graham_077 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    If you can get the required volume of protein through food alone I would say no. But protein powers/shakes are a great way of increasing your protein intake without significantly increasing your calorie intake. From a time point of view preparing and consuming a protein shake only takes minutes.

From a cost perspective it’s a cheap way of upping your protein intake.

I use Myprotein Impact Whey and mix it with water and MP liquid flavouring. Strawberry, Chocolate Raspberry and Toffee are all tasty.