Sushi-HELP

Options
Meeting up with a few friends tonight for Sushi. I rarely eat Sushi and when I do, I get the California Roll because I'm skeptical on eating sushi, but I love love seafood...weird.
Does anyone have any recommendations on what to get that isn't a ton of calories, sodium packed, or carb heavy?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thank you!!

Replies

• AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    If you are brave enough (which I'm not sure you are cuz you said you only get the california roll...), but I have been getting sashimi. It's just the raw fish. No mayo, or deep fry, or rice to worry about. I eat it with ginger and also get some miso soup. Happy eating!
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    Agreed - sashimi is the way to go -- super healthy and very very very low calorie.
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Sashimi is the best choice

white fish will have less calories than tuna / salmon.

miso, seewead salad, edamame
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    i also eat sashimi - super awesome fats and protein with no carbs. I also eat edamame - soy rotein
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Agreed - sashimi is the way to go -- super healthy and very very very low calorie.

I would not say sashimi is very very low calorie. Salmon, swordfish, tuna..... are all quite high calorie meat. They are also very healthy for you, just not low calorie
  • navywendy00
    Options
    Love tuna sashimi. That's your best bet.
  • CongoClark81
    CongoClark81 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Spider Sushi which is Soft Shell Crab with Avocado and Cucumber.
    Sashimi is also very good
    Shumai, Steamed Shrimp Dumplings are Awesome
    Kani-Su is a cucumber roll with crab inside. Havent tried yet but looks and sounds yummy
    Seaweed Salad is good
    Spicy Tuna Rolls are Delish
    I love Sushi! Good Luck!
  • Bizzeemamanj
    Options
    Some sushi places offer all sorts of nice side dishes that are carb friendly - seaweeds salads and such. The place by us serves a tuna and avocado salad that is delish! I love sushi and find it fits in easily to my daily calorie allotment. I tend to like more straight forward rolls - spicy tuna, salmon, whitefish or eel, the spicier the better. I think people think it can be carb heavy because of the rice, but there is so little of it in most really good sushi rolls. If you want to avoid rice altogether, sashimi is the way to go.
  • SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    Hand rolls, sashimi, burdock, edamame beans etc
  • HaywireII
    HaywireII Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Some places will offer sushi rolls made with brown rice which also may be a healthier option.

Oh yeah...usually the reduced sodium soy sauce is right there on the table next to the regular stuff. If it isn't definitely ask if they offer it.
  • koriekris
    Options
    Thank you all!! I'm going to see about the sashimi and if I cannot make the commitment, I'll figure something out. Either side salad, edamame, or some kind of brown rice-NOTHING fried or with mayo.
  • koriekris
    Options
    Oh yeah, I always use reduced sodium soy sauce...but going to try to stay away from that tonight all together. *Fingers crossed*
    Thank you! :)
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    tuna or salmon sashimi (just the raw fish, no rice)
    miso soup
    seaweed salad
    edamame

^^^my dream meal right there^^^
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I find the vegetarian rolls yummy. Not high in calories. I also get a small maki cucumber roll to eat with wasabi. The heat curbs the appetite and makes you feel like you ate something.
    Oh, and lots of hot tea. Filling, and 0 cals
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    tuna or salmon sashimi (just the raw fish, no rice)
    miso soup
    seaweed salad
    edamame

^^^my dream meal right there^^^

Meeee too! I am drooling now thinking of it.