weight fluctuation

Options
i have been dieting just over a week and this is only my second real diet, so excuse me if this is a common issue.

I lost 3 pounds after my third day of dieting, which I know is too much is such a short span of time. Then over the next week I have bounced up and down by a half pound or so on a daily basis. I have been keeping to my diet (1,600 calories per day and 5 days of 800 calorie workouts), with the exception of Saturday night where I went over by 1,600 calories. Essentially, I am trying to even out my week at 1,200 - 1,300 net calories per day, including a saturday night where I can eat and drink to my hearts content (although after entering the calorie content in a microbrew IPA, I am switching to light next time).

Is it common to bounce up and down weight wise during the diet? So far, I have lost a little over 2 pounds in a week, which is on par with my goal. However, it is somewhat disheartining to see a weight gain after a day where i ate 1,600 calories and burned 800 working out.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Sodium will cause fluctuation. It is common to lose a bit more the first week. Water weight and all.. If you watch your sodium and drink lots of water it will start to level out a little bit and everything will go to normal rates as you lose fat.

Also weigh yourself in the same place at the same time every day with the same amount of clothes on.
  • McMehu
    McMehu Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    try weighing only once a week...

I can have a couple pound difference just throughout a single day due to water retention
  • joyous504
    Options
    I've been at this for over a year, and YES it is completely normal to fluctuate from day to day. A lot of people will tell you not to weigh yourself everyday, but I do it to correct any bad behavior that may have occured the day or two before. Good luck to you!
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have found daily weight fluctuation is quite normal although it can be unsettling! I weigh in daily, but when I compare weights, I truly do it a week at a time (i.e. compare last Monday's weight to this Monday) b/c that helps me account for the daily fluctuations. I try not to obsess about the daily ups and downs as long as overall there are more downs than ups. For me, weighing daily helps me to be more accountable to myself. :)

Hope this helps!
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    It is highy common for your weight to fluctuate even in the course of one day.

It is suggested you weigh yourself at the same time of day, usually first thing in the morning after using the facilities and before eating or drinking anything (and in the buff). Try not to weigh yourself more than once a week - I know that's tough because you're so excited about losing weight!

Most importantly - do not allow your feeling of self-worth be defined by that scale. It's all about body composition...take measurements and photos (I know, ick, right?) These will be the larger motivators once you are further along into the process.

Congrats!
  • ethompso0105
    ethompso0105 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Something to keep in mind is that your body naturally fluctuates from day to day. I can fluctuate as much as 2-3 pounds from day to day. I switched to weighing myself once a week so that I have a better idea of my overall weight loss trend.

I also found that looking at my eating style as a "diet" was detrimental to me in the past--I always felt like I was denying myself. I now consider it a lifestyle and try to stick to it regardless of the day of the week--I still splurge, but I make sure it fits into my day's goals. It's not fun at first, but it becomes habit eventually.

Best of luck! :)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate daily and weekly. My weight is usually lowest on Monday/Tuesday, goes up Wednesday-Friday, and drops Saturday/Sunday. Some Mondays my weight goes up. Usually down. If it goes up, it usually drops down a lot 2 weeks later (almost like my body made up for that in between week). Also you just started so your body is still getting used to the changes you've made. Also, if you're doing such intense workouts, you should be eating more. You body is probably holding onto as much fuel as it can.
  • carriempls
    carriempls Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Your weight can fluctuate up to 3-5 pounds from day to day. Heck, it can fluctuate that much during the same day.

As recommended above, it's best to weigh yourself the same time of day wearing the same amount of clothes. For example, I weigh myself first thing in the morning after using the bathroom, naked.

For some folks, seeing the daily flutuations can be discouraging so they weigh only once a week or even once a month. For me, I weigh daily but only document my weight once a week. Then I look at the overall trend. As long as I'm moving down overall, that's the important thing.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Success-what-it-really-looks-like-e1324172008345.jpg?9d7bd4
  • VickyO1977
    VickyO1977 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Definitely weigh once a week same day same time wearing the same you will get a better idea of your loss then daily weight can fluctuate lots and may demotivated you.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

This.....

It is normal to go up and down every day. Heck, I go up and down between weeks, but usually an up week is just that, one week. The next week I am back down because I pay a little more attention to diet or push a little hard with workouts. Over the course of a month, I see the loss. It took me 9 months to reach goal of 27 lbs. There will be the bumps in the road and you just have to learn to get over them and keep moving on.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Oh this is soooo true!!! I weigh once a week...that's it!
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I can fluxuate up to 10lbs after the weekends. That I know is all water weight as I carb load over the weekends and low carb during weeks. The more carbs and sodium you take in, the more you'll retain.
  • thrillhouse69
    thrillhouse69 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the feedback