Is 40%protein30%carb30%fat the way to go?

Options
Hi! I have about 27 pounds I'd like to lose. I took a quiz on Jillian's site that says I am a fast oxidator and her recommendations were a high protein diet. I have been aiming for 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats in my diet. I have a very hard time losing weight, meaning, I worked HARD at a gym for 3 months, tried to keep calories at 1400-1600, and lost only 3 pounds in 3 months. I'm sure I gained muscle but didn't see much fat loss. I since was forced to quit the gym for personal reasons. I am more of a stocky build. I just want to lose weight (fat) already! Now I'm trying 1200 calories (sometimes go over) and losing about a pound a week. Any opinions as to whether I'm doing the right thing? Any advice appreciated!!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Well, you're losing weight, so that's a good sign.

40/30/30 is certainly reasonable. How long have you been at it? Are you finding it fairly easy to stick to those numbers? How are your energy levels come workout time?
  • stestut
    Options
    Hi! I have been on this journey, again, since Jan 2012. I have learned a lot, experimented a lot, and most importantly, trusted my trainer and my body. I have lost 42 pounds, despite 2 surgeries in the last year, with about another 15 or so to go. I plateaued last summer so changed my diet, somewhat.

I currently eat 1500 calories on workout days, and 1200 on rest days, regardless of exercise. I keep my percentages at 45% Carbs, 40% Protein and 15% Fats. Once I stared really watching my percentages, I started shedding weight. I'm at another plateau with these last 15 pounds so I've changed things agian to a 3 day rotation...2 days are 30% carbs, 55% Protein and 15% Fats. The 3rd day is the high carb day as described above. In the last 4 weeks (while I"ve been away from the gym after a surgery), I've followed the high protein diet and have lost nearly 8 pounds!

I am not a professional, I just relate what I've learned and what has worked for me. Hope it can help you!

Sandi
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 40/30/30 split. Look at my ticker, it's working for me :-)
  • GodzGirl4evr
    GodzGirl4evr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your help everyone! Anyone else??
  • corneredbycorn
    corneredbycorn Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    JM said I should be at 40/30/30 c/p/f. When I just eat whatever I want, without trying to stay within macros, that's where it comes out pretty naturally so she might be on to something there.

Truly though, I really believe the mantra of calories in, calories out. If the macro makeup works for you, then go for it, but if it doesn't, just play around with it for a few weeks to see what does work. I recently switched from low carb to moderate everything because I was feeling faint after workouts. Just by increasing my carbs, I'm feeling tons better and I will probably never try going low in carbs again. Even though it works very well for tons of other people, it does not seem to work very well for me.
  • Lisa__Michelle
    Lisa__Michelle Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    How did you all change the percentages on here? I know I saw how to do it a long time ago but I can't seem to find it now?
  • staceywilk
    staceywilk Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Here's what our boot camp trainer has us follow. I try my best to follow (slacking lately)...lost 4 inches the first 2 months!

CALORIES NEEDED FOR YOUR WEIGHT

Number of Calories Per Day

In order to find out how many calories you need in a day, you must use a precise measurement. This is done by using the same method registered dietitians use, the Harris Benedict Equation. To make this equation easier

• Convert your weight from pounds to kilograms. Take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2. For example: 190lbs/ 2.2 = 86.3 kg.
    • Convert your height from inches to centimeters. Take your height in inches and multiply it by 2.54. From example 67 in x 2.54 =170.1 cm.

Listed below are the equations for both men and women in order to calculate your Basal Energy Expenditure (BEE). Your BEE is the amount of energy you need in order to maintain your weight with no activity level. Therefore your BEE is also equal to your total calories needed when you are active and trying to lose weight.

• Males: 66 + (13.7 x weight in kg) + (5 x height in cm) – (6.8 x age in yrs) = BEE (in calories)
    • Females: 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in yrs) = BEE (in calories)

Number of Calories Per Meal

After calculating your BEE (Basal Energy Expenditure or target daily caloric intake for fat loss), you have to break up your calories into at least 6 meals a day. This is simple enough. For example if your BEE is 1300, the 1300 calories divided by 6 meals – 216 calories per meal.

Converting Calories into Grams of Protein Carbohydrate and Fat

We now have to figure out how many grams of protein, carbohydrates and fat into each meal by dividing the calories among the macro nutrients, i.e. proteins, carbohydrates and fats. These percentages should not be followed for more than 16 weeks at a time.

Protein 40-45%
    Carbohydrate 45-50%
    Fat 10-15%
    (*A minimum of 10% is required a serious essential fatty acid deficiency can develop, Note these percentages happen to work well for me but everybody is different and you may have to modify these percentages slightly*)

Let us assume that the person dieting needs 216 calories per meal, 40% protein, 50% carbohydrate, and 10% fat. The following formulas would be used.

Macro Nutrient Total Calories Per Meal X % = Calories
    Protein 216 X 40 = 86
    Carbohydrates 216 X 50 = 108
    Fat 216 X 10 = 22

(*Convert these calories into grams by diving each one by it caloric content as stated earlier)

Macro Nutrient Calories Per Gram
    Protein 4
    Carbohydrates 4
    Fat 9

The final step:
    Macro Nutrient Calories Per Meal Divided By Calories Per Gram = Grams
    Protein 86 / 4 = 21
    Carbohydrate 108 / 4 = 27
    Fat 22 / 9 = 2

Now you know the exact number of grams of protein, carbohydrates, and fat that should be eaten at each meal.
  • staceywilk
    Options
    How did you all change the percentages on here? I know I saw how to do it a long time ago but I can't seem to find it now?

Go to My Home, Goals, Change Goals, Custom
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    Staceywilk - do you keep calories the same regardless of your workout/exercise calories?
  • staceywilk
    Options
    MFP automatically increases calories when I input my calories burned (according to my HRM). I average 630 calories for 60 min of boot camp, but our trainer strongly believes that number is closer to 1,000....he said something about my HRM (I use a Polar FT4) uses the "standard formula" and that I need to use the Karvonean Heart Rate formula. I googled it and it makes no sense to me (way over my head...lol).
  • GodzGirl4evr
    GodzGirl4evr Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    stacywilk, go to "my home" and then "goals" and then "change goals" and it lets you add more categories, ie, fiber..and more meals, like am snack, pm snack, etc...

Thanks for all the info! I will be busy now figuring that out!