Blood Pressure

Options
As with most overweight people I have usually always had high blood pressure. Unfortunately, high blood pressure also runs in my family. My father (who's weight has fluctuated over the years at 5'9, been on medication as long as I can remember), my grandmother (who was about 5'0 and usually 120-130 lbs, also on medication for it all her life), and even my sister (who is age 27, 5'3 and 120 lbs, doctor said she might have to go on medication) all have high blood pressure.

However, I was shocked the other day when I went to the doctor and they told me my blood pressure was 116 over 78. I was completely surprised, but happy. I'm 5'8 and a little over 300 lbs at this point. However, I can't seem to wonder why. I have added cardio about 3 times a week for 20 mins to my exercise, which was non-existent before. I've been working out since January, pretty consistently with what I just said. I'm wondering if this could have helped. I've heard that it can obviously help with blood pressure, but that much?? Granted I don't have a previous reading to show my progress, but I know it couldn't have been good before. Any thoughts?

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    get your butt on cayenne pepper, it works!
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    its from working out- amazing huh? Exercise really does work!! If you worked out right before they took your BP it was probably even lower than usual.
  • jebo1982
    jebo1982 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It is probably from working out. Or have a better diet than the rest of your family (low sodium, fruits/Veggies, etc). Or it could be you dodged the hypertension genetic bullet. Just because the rest of your family has something doesn't mean you will have it too.