I CAN'T BE THE ONLY ONE THAT HATES THE RED NUMBERS

Options
kjohnson754
kjohnson754 Posts: 54 Member
If you hate the red numbers, what do you do to get away from them? Sometimes I cheat and say that I ate a smaller portion of things than I actually did. I know, it's wrong and it doesn't help me. But I TOTALLY HATE those flippin red numbers. It's like it's telling me I failed. I get them rarely because I hate them so much. My new rule is: If it's not on MFP, I'm not eating it. I need to make sure I know my calories. It's just how I am. I'm weird. But am I the only one?

Replies

• spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    It's like it's telling me I failed.

You did.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I log absolutely everything and when I see the red numbers it just makes me realize that I didn't do that great and I make sure I do better the next day.

If you "cheat" and put a smaller portion you're only hurting yourself because the calories DO count and not logging them makes you falsely believe you can eat more. In all honesty I err on the side of caution and probably over estimate on a lot of things.
  • kjohnson754
    Options

You did.

Thanks for that! :)
  • kjohnson754
    Options
    I log absolutely everything and when I see the red numbers it just makes me realize that I didn't do that great and I make sure I do better the next day.

If you "cheat" and put a smaller portion you're only hurting yourself because the calories DO count and not logging them makes you falsely believe you can eat more. In all honesty I err on the side of caution and probably over estimate on a lot of things.

I guess some of you missed where I said that I knew it didn't help me. This post was more of an exclamation that I hate the red numbers. I hate them but I sometimes get them as most people do because we're not perfect. However, I'm usually under my calorie goal (that's the one that I care the most about). Being over the protein isn't a bad thing IMO. I just don't like the red numbers, sue me. Sheesh! LMAO!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    That's rather reddist.

I solve the problem by not logging food. Ta Da.

You're welcome. :flowerforyou:

• cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Ha me too! I usually have one "cheat day" per week but will still try to log everything (I go over my goal but only up to maintenance levels for the day). I log normally until I get close then calculate the "extra" and write it into my food notes section, so it stays green but I still know how much I ate. If I happen to go over on a normal day (RARE) and its only by a small amount, I have been known to go for a late night run until that number goes green! :laugh:
  • fancycupcake
    fancycupcake Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    If you don't like the red numbers, don't lie to yourself by not logging something. Evaluate which foods made you go over and just modify your diet a bit the next day. Can't live without the cookies, but they put you over in sugars? Have half as much the next day. Each day is trial and error until you see results.

If you really can't stand them, ignore everything but the calories and just be sure to stay under those. You can choose to not show the protein/carbs/fats/etc. in your "Goals" settings.
  • Italianyc84
    Italianyc84 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When you cheat and don't log accurately, you're only cheating yourself. I hate seeing it too, it's what keeps me in check! That's the whole point of logging.
  • surromom2010
    surromom2010 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I go exercise more until they're gone, or admit I effed up and learn from it.
  • jbutterflye
    jbutterflye Posts: 1,914 Member
    Options
    Paint over it in black. There.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Why is everyone so mean?!

But seriously I know what you mean..if I see I'm coming close...I'll just watch my dinner portion.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    it makes you work harder, red is so dam final.its like blood and death.
  • briannakaechele
    Options

You did.

So encouraging!
  • loserbaby84
    loserbaby84 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    We all cringe when we see the red numbers. That's the whole scare tactic but don't dispair :)
  • Gin66
    Gin66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I go exercise more until they're gone, or admit I effed up and learn from it.

LIKE!
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    The only time you need to hate the red numbers is if they go up to your deficit.

Going over by a few isn't going to hurt you one bit. I think the average deficit is 500 calories?

So If I'm allowed 1,300 calories to lose 1 lb per week, it's not gonna hurt me to eat 1,400 calories one day. I still have a 400 calorie deficit and that's all you really need to lose weight. Even if you eat the whole 500, you're not gonna gain. You'll stay the same, because that would equal your maintenance calories :bigsmile:
  • elaineirene84
    elaineirene84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I like my protein and fiber to be in the red. Sodium is the one I have to watch out for. I am getting better. It is definitely a learning process.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

You did.

So encouraging!

*eye roll* Well, they did. You have no one to blame but yourself if you're going over your numbers. Plan better next time but don't beat yourself up over it, it happens. Don't make it a regular occurrence. Plan ahead. Log before you eat. Exercise to earn more cals so you're not over.

ETA: I think you know you're cheating yourself when you log incorrectly. You're only sabotaging your own weight loss.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Red means stop. Its a good thing.
  • robbie_1982
    robbie_1982 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    By setting your weight loss goal, your daily goal is going to be lower than the maintain amount.

Therefore, you do have that buffer zone. Red means buffer. You have to eat a lot more to put on!