I Hate Break-Ups

Options
I absolutely hate break-ups. Never-mind the fact that if you're in a serious and committed relationship that the emotional turmoil and stress that you go through tears you apart from the inside and out, but it feels like a heavy weight is brought down on you from nowhere and weighs you down -- at least for the first few days, if not weeks or months, after the breakup.

My boyfriend and I of a year and a half, having lived together for two-thirds of that time, broke up over a stupid fight two nights ago. I was deeply in love with him, but there was so many problems and stress in our relationship that I saw it coming a mile away. Without going into too much detail and not putting my entire love life online, I will say that I am responsible for at least 50% of the breakup. I don't know when to leave people alone when they're upset, I don't know when to push the increasingly high insecurities into the closet and not mess with them, I don't know how to provide privacy to my significant other (meaning leave alone personal devices such as cell phones or social networking accounts), and I, for lack of many better words, lack common sense when it comes to certain things, events, or topics.

So I recognize my flaws and where I caused the breakup. For the sake and respect of my (now ex-) boyfriend's privacy, I won't state what his were or what he did to cause it. But I recognize what I did.

Here's the problem though: I'm already going through the emotional stress and turmoil of the breakup. I haven't slept well, I haven't eaten well, and because I usually deal with stress by eating (or not eating), I'm feeling my appetite and emotions do the "roller coaster drops" throughout the past couple of days. I don't know how to cope with it very well, considering this is the first serious relationship I've ever been in. I'm not sure what to do to get myself out of this funk or to keep myself on track with my diet or exercise routine. My depression has come back on so quickly and violently, I'm ready to go back to bed and sleep the entire day away. But I'm not. Instead I'm here at my computer, applying for full time work that I desperately want and need, and venting myself out on the Message Boards of MFP.

I believe everyone has gone through a breakup at least once in their life. If not a heartbreak. How do you cope with it? How do people keep themselves on track with their diets and exercise, especially during the first few days of "aftershock" from a breakup? I don't know if my relationship will work itself out. At this point, I'm not thinking so, but I don't know. I'm trying to keep my mind focused on myself, my diet, and trying to motivate myself, but I'm still in that "low mood" from everything that has occurred in just the last two days.

Replies

• MrsSamiP
    Options
    You are doing the right thing concentrating on you. Think of this set back as more motivation to be a better you. If you can get past this and keep that weight coming off (as well as working on your insecurities) Then when you find love again you will be less insecure, more self confident and a stronger person knowing that you got through everything you did and still managed to exceed your goals.

Break ups are always hard and there is nothing that makes it any easier but knowing that you're not going to let it break you will help you move past it.
  • zilliegirl
    zilliegirl Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am divorced and my husband dose not even know when it came to dealing with things lets just say it was my job,however the divorce took place 11-18-12 I had no way to contact him he would just call out of the blue every now and again. I did not know where he lived ect. So I handled it .....I get a call from him 1-28-13 He was in a horrible car accident and has been in hospital for 6 weeks and is now in assisted living he is 37... The GUILT however I remember what our marriage was like..It was not a good place to be I gained 75 pounds in the 4 years we were married if that says anything.So yes my depression and anger are not the best controlled I get on that treadmil weather I want to or not and I let it all out I run with rage in my heart and tears streaming down my face. I will not let this be the end of me!!!! Yes his brain dosent work right and he cant walk and if he calls I will listen and when he has his mind back in a better place I will tell him we are no longer married. I will not let this be another excuse for me to hate myself,this is what life handed me it time to put on my big girl panties and move on. Be strong it only has as much power as you give it!!!!
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you are doing everything right. This is a big loss, allow yourself time to grieve. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. Let yourself cry, be mad, scream if you have too...but then counter it with something healthy, go for a walk, do a workout video, etc. It's ok to feel down over this for a time, just make sure to pick yourself up too.
  • Sweet_Innocence2011
    Options
    To be honest if you slip up a few days don't beat yourself up. Focus on yourself in general not just with the diet. Your emotions are all over the place. If you slip up track and make notes on why you ate what you did. If you keep track it will help you realize what you can do differently the next time you are on an emotional roller coaster (not just break ups but anything).
  • lunaliberi
    Options
    Sweetie, I was in a relationship for five years, engaged for over a year, and lived together with this person for almost two.
    He left me under really horrible circumstances, and it took me MONTHS to start bouncing back.

Take the time you deserve to figure things out :)
    I'm sorry to hear about the break up, I hope things improve for you quickly.
  • melissab6968
    melissab6968 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    i know you are feeling down! Heartache can derail the strongest person! Use those feelings! Remember you are beautiful and you matter! Be selfish by taking care of yourself because you are worth it!