Body Bug

Options
Do you have to pay a monthly fee for these things? I read were you have to go to their site to down load everything. Does it tell you calories that were burned will doing nothing like sleeping?

Replies

• fiendiish
    fiendiish Posts: 186
    Options
    Check out www.bodybugg.com. It will tell you all about it. There is a monthly subscription. They're pretty expensive.
  • thatgirlpdx
    thatgirlpdx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Body Bug is but this site is free and will tell you how many calories you burn while sleeping:

http://www.aolhealth.com/tools/calories-burned?sem=1&ncid=AOLHTH00170000000017&s_kwcid=TC|11093|calories||S|b|4802960810
  • AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    In my opinion, I wouldn't recommend it...I would get an HRM instead. I bought 1 two years ago and never use it anymore. Here's how it works: The site is very similar to MFP: you track your calories consumed and then at the end of the day you plug your bodybugg into a USB cord that uploads your calories burned. You don't have to but you're supposed to wear it all day (which puts a damper on your spring/summer clothes). It does a lot "fancier" things than MFP, but either way they both do basically the same thing with calories in/calories out and suggestions, minus the community to speak with.

When you buy the bodybugg (which is about $350 if I can remember) you get a 6 month subscription for "free" (I put it in quotes because you pay so much money you should get more than that). After that you can choose to subscribe monthly or by every few months, six months, or year. AFTER your subscription runs out, you won't be able to track any calories burned (even if you have the digital monitor) unless you have a subscription...so it's pretty much useless. My suggestion: invest in a good HRM (I've heard Polars are really good).
  • kgasser
    kgasser Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    1. technically, yes, but it is only 10 per month or 80 per year, which isn't really all that much...the other option is to buy the watch/monitor and it tells you how much you have used, so you wouln't really have to use the website after initial setup ( first 3 mo or so is usually free), but I like the feature on the website that forecasts how many calories you will use if you have no activity for the rest of the day...and it is pretty accurate!

2.Yes, as long as you are wearing it, it will tell you. It is simply amazing how many calories you use when you don't even think about it!

I love my BUGG!!!!
  • FitnessChefJime
    FitnessChefJime Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you buy it from them you get 6 months free.. It is well worth the cost of it... I bought mine in January and it has kept me accountable each day,I have dropped over 50lbs this year alone!!
  • MarshJulie1989
    Options
    I have the gowearfit, which runs independently of the 24HourFitness program, which is what the BodyBugg is designed to be used with. I paid about 150 for it, and here's what it does -

tracks sleep and sleep efficiency
    tracks daily caloric burn (demonstrated on a daily timeline)
    tracks MET's
    tracks steps

You have the ability to print out a report showing all these things averaged out over a week to a month.

it's amazing, and a fab weight loss tool. I've had mine for about four months now and I wear it constantly....you can't get it wet, so you have to take it off for showering and swimming, but it's so freaking cool and i'm just so pleased with it.

more over at bodymediafit.com, but honestly if you've got the money and you really want an accurate tracking tool (within 99% of oxygen tests, which is the gold standard) I would buy it. I thought about it for a long time, and I'm really happy with it.

I do believe the gowearfit's subscriptions are like 5$ a month or something cheap like that. it's really amazing. i love it.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I just got the Bug. It was $200 with a 6 month free subscription to the web site. the food tracker is very similar to MFP. The difference is the caloric burn tracking. It's supposed to be the most accurate tracking available. (We'll see).

I'm trying it because, despite following the MFP program, I've hit a wall. Right now the best explanation is that I'm either not burning any where near as many calories as I thought, or I'm burning a lot more than I thought. I needed a way to get a more accurate estimate.

I chose not to get a HRM because tracking calories based on heart rate is not a lot more accurate than what's available to me now. Heart rate has very little to do with caloric burn.

After the 6 months there are options to continue the service. I probably won't need it after that since I'll have a better idea of how my body is buring calories and I should be in maintanence by then. We'll see.
  • lovmykids
    lovmykids Posts: 51
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! I really would like to see if I am really burning the calories that I think I am. If I am then something just isn't right!!
  • stacy_rihel
    stacy_rihel Posts: 47
    Options
    Anyone that has been using the Bug for awhile, how does it compare to the calories burned estimates on this site? I have noticed that the exercises here aren't really good estimates... for example riding your bicycle for 60 minutes is different if your riding all up hill than on level ground.

Just looking for some insight on the Bug vs. MFP estimates.

• kgasser
    Options
    How's this for you...yesterday I walked to my busstop...1 mile...in 30 minutes, which would be "walking 2 miles per hour, slow" 30 minutes comes to 131 calories for my weight...BB showed 260! In addition, for some reason I am in a high metabolism state right now (loving it!), so I am burning 1.8 calories per hour when I sleep, instead of my normal 1.3! WOO HOO!!!

Have had my BB since mid Febuary and it is still with me 24/7! i have used it for nearly 100 days, which makes it $2 per day at this point! Best $2 I have spent today!!!
  • stacy_rihel
    stacy_rihel Posts: 47
    Options
    Holy cow!! that is a HUGE differance!!! I have been considering purchasing one. And kgasser, that is AWESOME about your metabolic state right now.. Good for you!!!! Thanks for the info :)
  • kgasser
    Options
    Do yourself a favor...invest!