A little discouraged

I've been making some nice changes for this journey, I thought last week was my best week with my walking three times (30 mins each) and doing strength training a few times as well. I kept under my calorie goal - once in a while going over the carbs or protein, but not by much, I drank 8 glasses of water per day for 3 of the days, usually 5-7 on the other days and today, the scale showed a 2.8 lb weight GAIN. Actually it showed several different gains, ranging from 1.6-2.8 lbs. I thought it was acting up a bit last week, but since it gave me a 3 lb loss, (again, several different weights, I took the middle one) I was okay with it.

I'm not trying to blame it all on the scale, but I clearly need a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at reviews on Amazon and it's confusing, even the ones with lots of 5 stars have complaints about weight changes.

Not sure what went wrong with last week, but trying to shake it off and make this week a weight loss.

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Before you buy a new scale, have you replaced the batteries in your current one? I found my scale was doing the same thing when the batteries got low.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    First, you have to realize that the body fluctuates (especially in women). Heck, you can weigh 3 lbs lighter in the afternoon than morning and vice versa at times.

I would say; you are making a great start by walking 3 times a week but eventually (based on the College of Sports Medicine) you would need to get them 30 minutes minimum to seven days a week but not everyone is that dedicated to walking, etc.

I would say continue doing what you are doing, eat the right amount of calories/balanced diet and see how things are going in a month or two.

I think the desire to see immediate results kill a lot of fresh starts.

It is all about starting a healthy lifestyle and accepting the challenges along the way.
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    I've been making some nice changes for this journey, I thought last week was my best week with my walking three times (30 mins each) and doing strength training a few times as well. I kept under my calorie goal - once in a while going over the carbs or protein, but not by much, I drank 8 glasses of water per day for 3 of the days, usually 5-7 on the other days and today, the scale showed a 2.8 lb weight GAIN. Actually it showed several different gains, ranging from 1.6-2.8 lbs. I thought it was acting up a bit last week, but since it gave me a 3 lb loss, (again, several different weights, I took the middle one) I was okay with it.

I'm not trying to blame it all on the scale, but I clearly need a new one. Anyone have any suggestions? I've been looking at reviews on Amazon and it's confusing, even the ones with lots of 5 stars have complaints about weight changes.

Not sure what went wrong with last week, but trying to shake it off and make this week a weight loss.

I have had the same thing happen to me. I only went over my cals 3 days this month and not by much and I have been working out faithfully. So, after reading a post from a fellow MFPer, I have decided not to weigh myself and I will only measure myself every couple of weeks. I hadn't measured myself in while and found out that I lost an inch in my waist and my thighs.. Don't buy a new scale for now. If you know you are doing the right thing, you will lose weight.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Ha! My DH has the same problem with our digital scale. He sometimes gets 3 different readings! I think it's because he wobbles too much during the initial step up on the scale, plus his feet hang over the edge. I rarely get different readings. I get the same number 3 or 4 times and I have to accept it when it's not what I want to see.
    But I also know my weight fluctuates as much as 4 lbs in a day, so I try to view it all in context. I was up 2 lbs this morning, but yesterday my sodium intake was twice what it normally is, so I'm blaming it on the extra water weight today. And the day after I exercise, especially strength training, I normally see a 1-2 lbs gain.
    On the other hand, my body fat has definitely shrunk and overall I look much better than I did 6 months ago. My clothes fit better, hang better on me, and I've lost several inches over the last 3 months without any real weight loss. So that is what I'm focusing on right now, rather than the stubborn number on my scales.
  • But I also know my weight fluctuates as much as 4 lbs in a day, so I try to view it all in context. I was up 2 lbs this morning, but yesterday my sodium intake was twice what it normally is, so I'm blaming it on the extra water weight today.

Quote from above.

I'm thinking that this is the problem. I know after eating Chinese food that it takes a day or two to stabilize. Continue what your doing, KEEP THE FAITH!!!

34293993.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Is strength training a new thing for you? That can cause a normal and temporary increase on the scale as your body holds onto fluid to repair your muscles.
  • RougeIllusion
    RougeIllusion Posts: 59 Member
    I have the fitbit scale and it works amazingly well and also calculates body fat % which is nice. Remember to pick a specific time of the day and always weigh yourself at that time to get the most consistent results. I weight myself every Tuesday and Friday, in the morning before I eat breakfast.
  • I got the EATSMART Precision Digital scale (model ESBS-01) and I love it. It was inexpensive and had great reviews too. :)
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,159 Member
    Thanks for the replies/suggestions.

Yes, I changed the battery today and it was still fluctuating quite a bit each time I tried it. I've ordered an EatSmart scale - I was looking at them on Amazon earlier. Also ordered the digital tape measure that lets you do your own measuring - didn't know those existed. Strength training is new for me, but it's been a 30 min session with a trainer once a week, and some work on my own a few times per week and nothing too crazy since I'm a weakling :noway: But definitely more than not doing any.

I won't let it get the best of me, I just wanted to see some more progress. I've been happy with it so far. Still making lots of changes, one at a time.

Thanks again