Cashiering?

Options
I'm a cashier at a grocery store, and today I have to work 4 hours (on my feet almost the whole time). Just wondering if this counts as exercise, and if I should log it. Thoughts?

Replies

• PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You are going to get differing opinions on this one...

However, I think it would depend on what you have your activity level set at and what your daily goal is...

Personally, I would probably just eat an extra healthy snack today...
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log that as exercise if it's something you do daily in your normal routine
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I would not count that as exercise.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    if you move it, you lose it.
    YES.
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't. I don't count cleaning as exercise, even tho I have to go up and down stair all day for laundry. I only count exercise if my heart rate stays up while doing it.
  • Brownsbacker4evr
    Brownsbacker4evr Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it. I'd just put that in your lifestyle activity on the settings. It certainly feels like you workout when you stand in one position like that for a portion of the day though. I usually only unload freight, but i've cashiered, and i've been more sore from cashiering then moving heavy boxes nonstop.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You probably feel like you are doing a lot of physical activity because you stand for extended periods of time...I know the feeling, I am a waitress. Unfortunately you probably feel like you ran a few miles especially on a busy shift, but without a consistently raised hear rate you probably don't have a calorie burn significant enough to log.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I have my daily expenditure set to sedentary. But I work 8 hours at a desk and then 4 hours on my feet at a grocery store. Tonight is inventory night so I'll be lifting 20lb bundles and carting them around all night.

I don't log this as exercise. BUT if I feel hungry after work I DO allow myself a snack above and beyond my calorie goal of the day. Why? Because I know I did a little more then my norm. But if it was a day standing at the till, I don't consider it exercise. Yes, I'm on my feet but really? It's not getting my heart pumping and I sincerely doubt I'm burning any extra calories (at least, nothing significant).
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    No, it doesn't count. Don't log it.
  • Cccaroline
    Cccaroline Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count any exercise you do as part of your normal routine. If you set up mfp accurately, that will have been taken into account already on the activity level you set when you did your diet profile.
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I work a desk job but started standing up at my desk. I've read that standing burns 100 more calories per hour than sitting, but I \figure it's just a bonus burn. I don't count it anymore. I used to but I felt like it was slowing down my weight loss. So I stand but don't usually log it. My activity log is set at sedentary though.
  • KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    has this form of "exercise" helped you loose weight so far?
  • hannakengu
    hannakengu Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I work at a grocery store as well, and I don't count standing at the cashier since the movement is kind of small when I start to think of it, kind of like doing the dishes at home, and I don't count that as an excercise either - although I know I don't do that for four hours straight.

When my shift includes a lot of walking or heavy lifting (stocking the fruit section or taking care of other sections with heavy products like juices, milks, etc), I count some of it by logging it as something like walking or light cleaning - but not for the entire duration of my shift since there will be more standing around, helping customers/chatting with them than I think. I downloaded an app called Moves to my iPhone, it calculates my steps like a pedometer and tracks my walking times and locations on a map, and I was pretty shocked to see that during my 6 hour shift that I thought was mostly walking and stocking shelves actually included only 1hr 50mins of walking, and the rest was standing in place, lifting some products etc.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I only log activity that is out of the ordinary *for me,* or else is obviously excerise, (i.e. serves no other purpose).
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Hey there, when I stated MFP I was a cashier, and now I work on the sales floor - by comparison there is a huge difference in standing at the register on your feet, and actually moving on your feet all day. The other day I actually had to fill in for a missing cashier and I spent the 8 hours either jogging in place, doing side steps, and hamstring curls (yes I'm sure I looked ridiculous, but I was also ringing outside and most people just thought I was doing it to stay warm) because I wanted to have an active day even if I was ringing.
    That being said, standing burns more calories than sitting, so stay well fed, use some of your calories for snacks throughout your day
  • RunningMannn
    Options
    Doesn't count...
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit to log that sort of stuff, with my profile set to sedentary, it works well for me. I have a job where I walk around a lot, never sit down, pick up and push heavy things, etc. So I figured it would be best this way.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have been a cashier at a couple different places since I was 19.
  • lauren_3243
    lauren_3243 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions. I wasn't completely convinced it was exercise, but just wanted other opinions :)