SQUATTING IN HIGH HEELS IS DANGEROUS!

Options
I've been curious about squats in heels based on seeing posts here and seeing images on Instagram...did some research and also checked with a few trained/certified exercise folks about squatting in heels... they ALL RECCOMMEND AGAINST IT...

Why? because when squatting you should mainly be driving through the heels and have weight evenly distributed amongst your feet ESPECIALLY W/ WEIGHTED SQUATS (the heavier the weights, the more important it is to squat with feet firmly grounded)...

Heels in general are bad for the body's alignment and the feet (<-- of course many of us still sacrifice this to enjoy fashion/be professional, and that's ok -- it's the exercising in them bit that's NOT SAFE). Be careful folks. Avoid injury! Stay grounded & keep the knees aligned with the toes!

If you insist on squatting in heels, DON'T USE WEIGHTS <-- just limit yourself to "droppin' it like it's hot" at the club or practicing your stripper moves (no weights necessary)

Replies

• surfbabe
    Options
    All I can imagine is a chick with 100+ lbs on the bar at the bottom of the squat and her rolling her ankle inward. BOOM PAIN! Oh god my palms are sweating just thinking about it.
  • originalkazila
    Options
    All I can imagine is a chick with 100+ lbs on the bar at the bottom of the squat and her rolling her ankle inward. BOOM PAIN! Oh god my palms are sweating just thinking about it.
    \

I just got nauseous.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    What brought this on? Who would even consider doing weight training workouts in heeled shoes? That's some Darwin awards crap right there.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    lol who the hell works out in high heels?

OMG now I am picturing the image mentioned below re the anke rolling thing ow ! that made my buttocks clench.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Do people really squat heavy in high heels? Really? I'm a fairly regular heel wearer, and I cannot imagine putting a bar loaded with weights onto my back and squatting in heels!
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    holy mother of batman why would you want to squat in high heals (other than to pee behind a dumpster when you're drunk)

try some weight lifting shoes, some chucks, or even vibrams
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    WHY THE HELL WOULD ANYONE SQUAT IN HEELS?!?!?!

WTF?

****, i have even seen recommendations to squat in converse because they are so flat.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Do people really squat heavy in high heels? Really? I'm a fairly regular heel wearer, and I cannot imagine putting a bar loaded with weights onto my back and squatting in heels!

Sadly, yes - I've seen pictures.

I couldn't imagine it - honestly. I used to squat in regular fitness shoes (with extra padding in the heels) and found myself feeling unstable. So I got a pair of Chuck Taylor's and now feel great!

The image of someone rolling their ankle's just made mine start aching. Great - thanks.
  • crazy4lulu
    crazy4lulu Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    why the frick would anyone even think of trying to do squats in heels?????
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Wait....

wat?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    I just saw a pic the other day of someone in a squat cage wearing heels. I can't remember where I saw it or I'd post it.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I WILL DO ANYTHING IN HEELS
    ANYTHING.
  • VanessaGS
    VanessaGS Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone do that in the first place?
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    A quick GIS came up with this picture http://i.imgur.com/Z4KdKai.jpg WHY?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    /sigh This is mostly done for photo shoots, and crap like that. I have yet to meet a person, fitness model or otherwise, that actually conducts any real workouts in heels.

Jacking the heels also makes it easier for people with bad calf flexibility to hit a ridiculously low squat. Again, this is done for photo op purposes, and little else.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I've seen pics of women doing that and i cringe every time. Some people feel they have to look sexy doing everything i guess :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    This is ridiculous that people would consider that.We get it chicks love heels, but seriously get out of here!
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have you seen someone doing this? Do you know someone on here that does? Were you thinking of attempting this? This is something I would never have thought of attempting. Wtf?!?!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Since no one else has posted it...

SHrlQCz.jpg
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I mean, I have a fitness page called heels in the gym on Facebook, but I would never actually WEAR heels in the gym. Well, unless I was practicing my walk and pose, but not lifting....