Hello -- Calcium Suggestions...(Non-Dairy)

Options
Msappy
Msappy Posts: 3 Member
Hi, I am new to the site. I am glad I joined it really keeps me motivated to lose these last few pounds.

The one thing I have noticed in my food tracking (which is now about 9 days)...I am not getting enough
calcium. Any healthy suggestions? I really do not like yogurt and don't drink much milk...
Basically, I would prefer to stay away from Dairy...Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Replies

• livingnlove
    livingnlove Posts: 49
    Options
    I have no idea, but I'd like to know as well!
  • missygal
    missygal Posts: 60
    Options
    Do you eat cereal? You can use lactaid milk, it has calcium. I'm lactose intolerant so that's what I use...
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    Here some I found online!

almonds 750
    hazelnuts (filbert) 450
    walnuts 280
    sesame seeds (whole, unhulled) 2,100
    sunflower seeds 260
    Soy beverage, unfortified 9.8
    Soy beverage, calcium-fortified variable, check nutrition information; approx 200
    Tofu, firm, prepared with calcium 1721
    Tofu, regular, prepared with nigari, 260
    shrimp 300
    salmon with bones 490
    mackerel with bones 600
    sardines with bones 1,000
    cooked turnip greens 450
    cooked bok choy 330
    cooked collards 300
    cooked spinach 250
    cooked kale 200
    parsley 200
    tapioca (dried) 300
    navy beans 140
    soybeans 130
    pinto beans 100
  • kickitlarson
    kickitlarson Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens

Sesame seeds / Tahinin

DATES, ORANGE, papaya, guava, figs, raisins

Berries: blackberries, blackcurrants, boysenberries, gooseberries, loganberries, mulberries, raspberries
  • Msappy
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions! I eat lots of fruits and leafy greens...but my calcium number on here is always low.
    I've known for a while I need more calcium... I guess I need to force myself to eat cereal in the morning or sometime during the day.
    From what I read, you need about 1,000 mg of calcium a day and I never get 1/4 of that!! So, I was just trying to find a really high calcium food, so I could at least get closer to where I should be! Thanks again for all the suggestions! :) This has been helpful.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    You said you didn't like milk or yogurt, but do you like cheese? I know its dairy but a little goes a long way.

I take a multivitamin that supplies a good chunk of my calcium requirements. Also, if you're a juice drinker there are lots of juices fortified with calcium now.
  • Msappy
    Options
    I love cheese :) The thing is once I eat one piece...I want to eat more!
    Juice (calcium fortified)...another good idea. Thanks!
  • AdymondNtheRuff
    AdymondNtheRuff Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I had WLS and was told by my doctors to take calcium citrate with vitamin d chocolate chews or carmal or the tablets!