Lean Legs?

Options
I want lean legs, and running gives them to me, but a pancake *kitten* come right along with it. Everyone keeps on telling me to squat to get that "bubble butt" but I'm scared it will tone my quads too much and give me thunder thighs.

Am I crazy? Anyone with any knowledge on this?

Replies

• HelenaHanbasket
    Options
    You're lucky to have lean legs :)
    Is the flat bottom something that runs in your family?
    I ask because I know someone who could not beef up in that area to save her life. She was built exactly like her mom but her mom had a butt, but not much of one. She said she used to want more of a rear end, but did not know how to get one, then she had a kid and curved out a little bit.

I would guess that there are exercises you can do for the behind that would not bulk your legs. I use youtube A LOT. Maybe if you go there and do a search and look at the different types of exercises for your target area, you could find a few that are going to work for you.

Best of luck!
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    Thanks! I'll try that!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You may see newbie gains(esp if you haven't lifted before) but it won't bulk up your quads.

Women don't have the hormones to gain muscle like men do, so squat away and and enjoy the results.
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I know what you are talking about -find ballet exercises and youtube, those ballet leg lifts are excellent! I was a competitive dancer for 13 years before getting sick and gaining all the weight -had a high fine popo (french butt) and lean legs :D
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Unless you're taking protein shakes and/or eating a high protein diet with enough calories, no type of weight lifting will add bulk. Squats (and other weight lifting exercises) will only make you more lean and tone. Don't worry about getting "thunder thighs" - it's not going to happen just from doing squats.
  • Buckeye_Fittie
    Options
    I know what you are talking about -find ballet exercises and youtube, those ballet leg lifts are excellent! I was a competitive dancer for 13 years before getting sick and gaining all the weight -had a high fine popo (french butt) and lean legs :D

Great idea. Thank you!
  • AnneU93
    AnneU93 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Here is a good video to show what I mean,, the parallel leg lift is very good and they always burn!! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl_aqxzJveg
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Squats will lift your butt and help to give it a round shape. Even if you lift super heavy, if you're eating a deficit and doing lots of cardio, while you might gain a bit of muscle, your quads will not get "bulky". I also enjoy the 30 day ButtLift series on the YouTube Channel beFit, although nothing beats squats for a nice *kitten*.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    When adopting any sort of moderately high or higher intensity resistance training regimen, regardless of whether it is based on weights, bodyweight, or whatever, you will see an initial period of muscle growth as the body adapts to moving while loaded. This will happen regardless of whether you are eating at a deficit or not and what determines when it ends is genetics. This period is referred to as "newbie gains." It doesn't usually last long or make for significant gains in muscle mass (it is noticeable but not very much). Beyond that, however, gains in muscle mass will only happen if you continue to do high intensity strength training while eating at a calorie surplus.

In other words: Lift weights, accept that you will see initial muscle mass gains all over your body which, while not significant, will be noticeable, and then from then on enjoy yourself and reap the benefits that come from lifting heavy.
  • calbolo
    Options
    Try lunges with added weights... Barbells or dun bells ...x
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This pretty much sums it up:

IMG_1374_zpse5dc87c5.png
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Show us a picture of the type of legs you'd like a avoid.