Machine vs free weights?

I've never lifted or used weights before.

What do you use and why? Is one better than the other?

Scott

Replies

• mrs_schultz2012
    mrs_schultz2012 Posts: 395 Member
    I'm looking to start lifting too....want to learn to use free weights because I have heard those are better....but don't know what I"m doing so normally stick with the machines :blushing:
  • arikag
    arikag Posts: 94 Member
    Hi Scott!

Here's my 2 cents:

Machines are easy to use and often people start with machines because they are essentially assisting you to do the exercises.

As I started to add weight lifting into my routine more regularly (have been lifting for 3 x a week for the last 5 months), I have transitioned to free weights. I almost exclusively use free weights now. I like them because I fell they are more of a challenge, and you use core muscles and other support muscles that might not get worked when using machines.

There's a lot you can do with dumbbells, barbells and kettlebells. That being said, I do use a few machines still on Leg Days, like the adductor and abductor machines and the seated leg press- I can't think of as many free weight leg exercises as I can upperbody/core ones!

If you're not sure where to start, try Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/ or New Rules of Lifting: www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/ both great programs!

I just wrote a blog post on how to start weight training! If you want to check it out, it's here: http://bit.ly/11UW1bP

Good luck, and happy lifting! :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    If you have never ever, ever lifted then invest in a trainer if even for only one time. Have them go through each machine with you and show you the proper way to use them.

If you want to go the free weight routine, then may I suggest The New Rules of Lifting...that book is the ultimate beginner's guide to weight lifting. I am reading the female version and enjoy the routine a lot.
  • I have started using kettlebells and fine them easy to handle and you also get a cardio workout using them. I have them at home and use them with the Iron core dvd.
  • Boobookittyfq
    Boobookittyfq Posts: 454 Member
    Usually use free weights , unless its for legs with exception of squats and deadlifts.. If u want to look at some routines look into bodybuilding.com or just youtube so you can get an idea what you looking for and what area your trying to target :happy:
  • MeMyCatsandI
    MeMyCatsandI Posts: 704 Member
    Weight machines are for people who are afraid to use free weights! Or so I've heard.:bigsmile:
  • BillRicks1
    BillRicks1 Posts: 473 Member
    Machine assisted weight training is a great place to start. It will get you accustomed to form, range of motion and of course the weight. Free weights will "feel" heavier at first due to the use of the many small support muscles being used to balance the load and maintain form. Machine = large muscle groups. Free weights = large muscle groups + smaller support type muscles.

My $0.02
  • Rivmage
    Rivmage Posts: 48 Member
    Weight machines are for people who are afraid to use free weights! Or so I've heard.:bigsmile:

I tried the stronglift 5x5 program. I was doing my first set of squats and lost my balance. I quickly went back to the machines. Plus, my fiancee doesn't want to do the free weights and I kinda like hanging out with her at the gym.

Scott
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Change your fiance's mind. :smile: Free weights do a much better job in less time.

When I did machines, I did about 20 different machines. Now I do five basic lifts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744311-free-weights-vs-machines-holy-crap
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    you'll get more gains from free weights. Machines are fine and would be a first choice for a beginner. Start with machines for the first 4-5 weeks and add in free weights. Once you get comfortable, change it up and rotate BB and DBs every 4 weeks or so. I still use machines but use at the end of my workout for better isolation after the assisting muscles have faded...if you have trouble with balance when doing legs etc..use the smith machine until you get adjusted and or stronger..
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Machines generally focus exclusively on isolation exercises, which means they target a single muscle. This is highly inefficient and doesn't yield functional strength gains. Compound movements, which can only be done with free weights, will get better results in less time while showing functional strength gains to boot.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    Free weights with focus on compound movements = best results. When you lift with free weights you are working intended area plus having to stabilize vs a machine where you are just working target muscle. I focus on Bench, overhead press, squat, deads. The last year I have increased my bench and overhead press by a significant amount by using DB's instead of Barbell.