Fresh sliced deli meat vs pre-packaged deli meat

Options
Are there any benefits of buying fresh sliced deli meat rather than the Oscar Mayer variety?? Any suggestion??

Replies

• zandraak
    zandraak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I read a tip that said that the deli people have all the nutrition facts for the deli meat they have and they can tell you which is the lowest in sodium or fat or whatever you are concerned about. Some might even be willing to give you a printout. I have not tried asking yet though.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Yes, the deli counters (especially in nicer stores) will provide nutritional info on request. Boar's Head also has several low-sodium deli meats if your deli counter carries Boar's Head product.
  • justjenny
    justjenny Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I did a quick comparison...Boars Head Ovengold Turkey (Fresh) vs. Oscar Mayer Deli Fresh Turkey Breast - Oven Roasted Shaved 98% Fat Free (Packaged)

They are more or less similar in calories, and fat. For a 2 oz serving, you are at

Oscar Mayer, vs Boar's Head
    45 calories 60 calories
    and about 1 gram of fat for both...
    8 grams protein 15 grams protein
    460 - sodium 350 - sodium

however the protein content of the Boar's Head was higher 13 compared to 8 in Oscar Mayer.

Also the sodium in the Oscar Meyer was higher 460 to the 350 for Boar's Head.

My vote is always for the fresh...you can have it cut to your liking, and there are lower sodium options.

The packaged stuff always has more sodium and preservatives to give it a longer "shelf life".

Hope that helps.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the deli counters for cleanliness. I had one gal rub her nose and then try to give me the meat she just touched. I'll stick to processed or meat that I have cooked myself!
  • TJtastic
    TJtastic Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am weird about deli meat. I was told by a manager at a large retail grocery that once deli meat is open it's only good for so many days. The printed tag they put on your cut meat expires in 5 days. SO, how does a person know really how long that meat is good for?? Then there's the sanitary issue of it being handled by a number of people and possibly left out of the cooler for who knows how long. I don't know - deli meat is one of those things I don't eat a lot of for that reason. I'm sure I put way too much thought in it. LOL

Edited because I can't spell. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Unless it's an actual cut of meat -- like a real chicken breast -- I would assume there isn't much of a difference. There are better pre-packaged options these days, and you don't have to bother asking for nutritional info., since it's right there on the package.
  • rlwash
    rlwash Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! I honestly had not considered the cleanliness of my store's deli counter....now I will forever think about that.
  • tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I don't trust the deli counters for cleanliness. I had one gal rub her nose and then try to give me the meat she just touched. I'll stick to processed or meat that I have cooked myself!

The guy slicing the meat at oscar meyer is probably doing the same thing.