Losing muscle

Options
This is probably the most unpopular opinion on fitness and health blogs, but I need to get some advice on this. I need to lose some muscle. I'm a very bulky person, and I really feel uncomfortable with that. While I've gotten in better shape over time, I'm still very stocky, and most of it is in my legs. I practice and tutor in kendo, a martial art primarily focusing on leg work. Large launches off of the back leg, stomping the floor with what we call "fumikomiashi" to accent and give energy to our attacks, and staying up on the balls of the feet in order to increase speed. I can't give it up, since it's such a big part of my life, but I'm always uncomfortable about my large leg muscles. Every time I search for "lose leg muscle," I always get the opinion of "you can just bulk up your torso and balance it out." I know that long distance running is helpful, and I plan on picking that up more once the Western NY weather starts to recede, but is there anything else that I can do to help start the process of losing muscle in my legs?

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It may be just your build and there isn't much you can do about that and you may find as you lose weight that not all of it is muscle.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Larger calorie deficit with long higher intensity cardio will help you lose muscle. What is your body fat %?
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    Running builds leg muscles.