The Menstrual Cycle of Weight Loss Doom

Options
Is it just me, or do you get completely discouraged during "that time of the month"? I mean, to be honest, my menstrual cycle and I have been getting along for about two years now (the BC's side effect is not getting 'it') but still I gain that obnoxious water weight, at least 1-3lbs during that time. Seeing those numbers on the scale increase, even though I exercise and eat what I'm supposed to just makes me feel just awful! I'm not one of those "menstrual eaters" with chocolate and salty or sweets, I've never been that way, so I know that isn't it. *big giant sigh* Truthfully, I am just jealous of men not having to deal with this, lol!:laugh:

Does anyone else feel the same way? How do you beat feeling discourages and frustrated? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks and good luck everyone!
xoxox :smile:

Replies

• daisy22880
    daisy22880 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    i've felt that way too and it is discouraging!! i decided that i just would not weigh myself during that time bc i know that the weight it is telling me has water weight included. try to hide the scales for a week and then go back. try to stay positive!! and yes, men suck for not having to deal with this!!! :happy:
  • happyheathen927
    happyheathen927 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    5 lbs. Every. Freaking. Month. It's there for a full week, then takes another week to go away. TBH, I don't handle it well at all. :( It's not a food-consumption thing with me, either. I was hopeful that cleaning up my diet would stop it but it didn't. (I did, however, quit having any PMS symptoms or cramping whatsoever after I went paleo.)
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Like someone above me said, I just stopped weighing from the moment I saw my weight go up until about halfway through my cycle. It's usually pretty much gone by then, and I make myself work out extra hard as motivation. My favorite part is when the weight goes away, and I find I have a lower weight than before it began. ;)
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Oh yes! I don't actually gain much weight but I get RAVENOUSLY hungry for about 3 - 4 days before it starts. I have stopped fighting it and I just go with it. I don't give into every sugary craving I have, but I do allow myself to eat more on those days, because it almost feels like nothing satisfies me.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    The "old" me that would justify and rationalize every unhealthy eating habit I had would just "accept" that I have to give in to my cravings during certain points in my cycle. I mean, I have no control over what I put in my mouth, right? And I would justify that there was nothing I could do in response to the cravings because it was THAT TIME OF THE MONTH. I was a helpless victim of my own female body.

Now I log in everything and weigh myself daily. I want to know and understand the correlation between my cycle, my cravings and emotions, my weight and my eating habits. So far, so good.
  • Jewles1285
    Options
    I am going throught the exact same thing RIGHT now, the scale has not budged for me for a week and a half BUT i know i've lost weight because i can see and feel a difference in my clothing! I have decided to, as jennmodugno said, hide the scale until i am finished with my cycle. It drives me crazy! I dont get food cravings, i just get cranky and tired so my exercise suffers, but knowing so i try harder. Good luck ladies!
  • JessicaP327
    JessicaP327 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE! I think I am going to take [all of] your advice and hide the scale for the week or so. Its so good to have this support from people going through this. At least I know I'm not the only one that wants to throw the scale out of the window! You all rock!
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    But then, after the water goes, you get on the scale one morning and go WHOA!!!
  • Luvmesumkenny
    Luvmesumkenny Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I literally have my kids Hide the scale that week!!!!!
  • sheleen302
    sheleen302 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I agree, don't weigh during. For me it was always after it was over than woosh-it would leave. BUT NOW I don't even have the woosh to look forward to.... Aunt Flo hasn't visited since November.
  • cjs3001
    cjs3001 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    But then, after the water goes, you get on the scale one morning and go WHOA!!!

This! :bigsmile:
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    For me the best solution is to not weigh myself during TOM. Otherwise It could feel like a big ol smack in the face.
  • Getyourshineon
    Options
    Yes!!!! So, frustrating... Especially when you know you have done pretty well, clothes are looser but that darn number moves up and the only reason can be TOM.... I am participating in a Biggest Loser Competition at work and you have to pay for each lb you gain... I chose to skip the weigh in this week and pay $3 for skipping the weigh in rather than pay $5 for the increase of 5lbs that the scale at home told me I had gained. Next week I will be at a loss again, but it's so maddening!!!