Advise on Tractor Tire flips

Options
Hello. Recently I've discovered I have a love for alternative workouts. I like to workout with kettlebells, sledge hammers, battle ropes, etc. One alternative exercise I haven't been able to do is flip a tractor tire. It seems so heavy. At the gym, I've noticed women, who don't weigh as much as I do, fipping the tires numerous times. I can't even flip it half way off the floor. I don't know what kind of training/ workout I'd need to do in order to accomplish a tractor tire flip. Maybe it has something to do with plyometrics, I'm not sure. Any advise would be great. To give you some background about myself: I currently weigh 206, 5 foot one, and female. My body goals are to loss about 80 lbs of fat but also gain muscule, endurance, and flexibility. Again any adivse would be great. :)

Replies

• acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I only do tire flips during boot camp, but I can easily do them. The key for me is to getting under it in a good starting position with a good hand position and it easily flips. Really concentrate on the whole lift with your legs, not your back bit.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    It probably has a lot to do with your form. Any trainer at the gym able to help you?
  • kiannarb
    kiannarb Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The gym isn't a commercial gym (like Bally's or LA fitness). Its a straight up gym, where people come there to have a productive workout. Because of this, I don't see too many trainers. But, I might ask some of the people using the power lifting equipment, if they can assist me. I didn't think of doing that before.
  • MrsRawwwr
    MrsRawwwr Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    It's all about the legs, for me. I would suggest asking someone who's experienced to help with your form. Incorrect form with tire flips could cause issues with your back. Good luck! By the way, I love using the sledge hammer :).
  • carlwhitley
    Options
    Do some olympic barbell work.

Deadlift
    Power clean
    Hang clean

It's all about getting a good grip and driving through your legs up and forwards. Keep your arms straight - there' no use in trying to curl the tyres and using your arms too early.

Any idea how big the tyres are and how much they weigh?