Running from 1k to 16k distances in 4-5 months

Options
Last night I ran further than I have ever run before. I always set myself new targets, whether that be faster, longer, higher inclines etc. Up until last night the furthest I had run was 12k and what was nice about last night was once I went 12k I had no target so just kept running for the fun of it. I just carried on seeing how far I could go. At the 16k mark my knee started hurting so as a precaution I stopped. That 16k equates to running 10 miles so that is big number for me.

My next target is 20k which is roughly a half marathon and I believe that if my knee hadn’t started hurting I could have achieved that last night.

What is weird is whenever I run I get to a point (normally after 40 minutes) where my legs stop aching, my breathing and heart beat calm, and it feels like I could run forever. Anyone else get this?

I am very thankful that when I started running a few months ago I made the conscious decision to spend the first 2 or 3 months running only in the cardio zone. This enabled me to pretty quickly build up the endurance needed for running longer and longer distances.

The downside to last night's 10 miles was I didn’t do this run until late at night so by the time I finished I should have gone to bed but the day’s total exercise calories jumped by 1,600 leaving me with a 2,500 calorie deficit…at bedtime….eek :noway: I did manage to eat 600 of them and stayed up an extra couple of hours so I didn’t go to bed on a full stomach. I definitely need to start planning the longer distance runs early morning so I eat more during the day :laugh:

Replies

• ruth1297
    ruth1297 Posts: 11
    Options
    Truly an inspiration Simon,well done!!
  • babs88
    babs88 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Simon,
    What's happening you after 40 mins of running is two things, endorphins really surge and override any feelings of discomfort. But more importantly your body realises this isnt just a run for the bus and switched metabolism into a more efficient mode, it can use oxygen sources (aerobic) for quick things as its fast energy to burn but its ineffient over time, we get into anerobic metabolism after running for a little while, without going flat out. The fact that it happens at that time in the exercise regimn means that you are right you are meant to be (or trained to be) a marathon runner and not a sprinter. A sprinter wants its "second wind" much earlier.
    Good luck with the running:)
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    Congratulations!

I used to HATE HATE HATE running - but I have worked hard to get my endurance up - and I think I could now comfortably do 10k - my standard run is 7km - but if I am not doing anything else, I will run for as long as I feel - which is about 55 mins

Reading what you have just written has inspired me to keep going

N
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Wow Bab's, as a first post that was extremely helpful and well written, thank you! :flowerforyou:

Thanks for the explanation, that does make a lot more sense to me now!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic you are such an inspiration! It is so great to read that it can be done! :)

I am doing the couch to 5K at the moment (so shows how long a way I have to go!) but very interesting to read about the second wind kicking in after 40 mins or so...gives me hope!

Keep it up...we'll watch out for you at the London Marathon in years to come?!
  • onebeer
    onebeer Posts: 36
    Options
    Well done Simon. I only started running in February, and since then I have gone from 11min miles down to 9 min miles - although I still really struggle. I am doing 5m at least twice a week, and a few weeks ago, like yourself, found myself able to just kepp going, on that occaision I got to 9m before I had to stop, but felt great for it!

My challenge to myself is to do a half marathon by the end of the year, and I have picked one out ready to do. For now its setting myself mini targets - getting down to 8.45min/mile, moving up to 7miles etc, hopefully my competitive streak (even with myself) will keep me going.

As an aside, I use endomondo.com to help track my routes and times, and find it really useful. Do you )or any body else) use anything similar?
  • wjassell
    wjassell Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Great post my time is around 3.5 miles I start to feel good.

@onebeer I use mapmyrun.com
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
    Well done.

Last October I ran my first 10kms race. It took me 90 minutes. I am definitely slow and steady. I was going to run a half marathon next week but three weeks ago after surgery, I had some heart problems. My heart was racing and they had to paddle me to bring it back to a normal rhythm. Since then, I have not jogged. I am a wee bit afraid to do so.

I am planning on starting my training again soon. Hopefully, I can do a half marathon in the fall. Time will tell.

I am awed by your run. It does get addictive. Once again, well done!!!!
  • threeupthreedown
    Options
    AWESOME!!!!
    Well done.

Last October I ran my first 10kms race. It took me 90 minutes. I am definitely slow and steady. I was going to run a half marathon next week but three weeks ago after surgery, I had some heart problems. My heart was racing and they had to paddle me to bring it back to a normal rhythm. Since then, I have not jogged. I am a wee bit afraid to do so.

I am planning on starting my training again soon. Hopefully, I can do a half marathon in the fall. Time will tell.

I am awed by your run. It does get addictive. Once again, well done!!!!
  • ccgisme
    ccgisme Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    That's really great. I'm on Week 5 of the C25K program. The third run this week is 20 minutes straight and, if I'm being honest, it scares the hell out of me! Maybe my metabolism will kick in sooner and I can enjoy the benefits that Babs so clearly spelled out without going to 40 minutes :laugh:
  • dragonflyjill
    dragonflyjill Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 of the couch to 5 k, and am inspired as well by your post! It is amazing what the body can do with proper training and patience!

Jill
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!