Cheapest foods per calorie (healthy)

Options
2»

Replies

• floweringcurrant
    floweringcurrant Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think most bulk grains/fruits/vegetables are pretty cheap. I get bulk salad greens, brown rice, oats and quinoa and they are all very inexpensive. As for foods that fill you up (help you reach your calorie goal), a couple tbs of almonds or almond butter, half and avocado, etc. - go for a food that is nutritionally and calorically dense. While they may not be as inexpensive, you eat less of them, so for me it evens out. Lentils are a great one, too!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eggs are the cheapest source of protein on the market if you want real food. The other route is going for protein powder.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Anything Perishable is gonna cost you! Produce, Meats, Veggies, Fruit even Eggs have gotten out of hand especially if your thowin yolks away. SO...look for Bulk sales and stock up n freeze.

Not necessarily. Esepciay if you have an Asian or Latino grocery store nearby-- their produce is really inexpensive.
  • babybluefire
    babybluefire Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Whole chickens are 99 cents a pound at walmart. I roast 2-3 of those a week, make pot pie, soup ect with it. I can control the salt and add all the healthy veggies I want.

Take whole chicken, rinse in clean water. Pat dry. Rub tablespoon olive oil over whole bird. Take about a teaspoon of poultry seasoning and sprinkle over. I cook mine in a roasting pan with a small rack for the bird and a lid. I add about 6 cups plain water to the bottom, might sprinkle some garlic and onion powder in. Then I roast it covered for 2 hours at 350. You can baste it half way, but its not 100% necessarily.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Your username makes me nervous. :p

Especially this time of year.

you hidin' sumpin? lol
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Whole chicken. I make one in the crockpot on Sunday and it lasts me all week. I make all kinds of different meals with it through the week.
  • shimwari
    shimwari Posts: 5
    Options
    What about polenta for that (cornmeal)? It's really cheap, lasts a long time, and can be covered with all kinds of sauces. I found some great cornmeal and apple muffin recipes that are sweetened with applesauce (also not particularly expensive to make on your own).
  • auditorz
    auditorz Posts: 15
    Options
    Tuna Fish is one of my favorite "cheap" proteins. Sometimes I drain a small can of tuna and eat it with Texas Pete or...a tablespoon of salsa. I eat a lot of eggs too.

I wanted to do more Tuna as I even enjoy eating it straight from the can, convenient, but they say you need to be concerned about mercury poisoning so I limit myself to a can a day.…. They say salmon has negligible mercury so I’m hoping to find a cheap deal on low sodium canned salmon than stock up!

I do agree eggs are great I usually eat 6 for breakfast.
  • Porcelain1981
    Porcelain1981 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If I understand correctly what you're after is calorie dense foods (within a budget)?

There's some really good suggestions above, a few more...
    seasame oil - great for stir frys (cheap at chinese/japanese supermarkets)
    coconut oil - online is cheapest

If you can (know you're allergic to peanuts) eat pistachios & almonds, they're a good top up and relatively high protein. Walnuts aren't as high but still good for you and AWESOME mixed with a little honey.

For protein shakes / bars, buy online. The bars can go a good way to eating back the exercise calories, but check the labels as a lot of them will be dairy based.

I'm very much finding that the easiest way for me to not have a huge deficit is to plan more into each meal, i.e.
    brekkie oatmeal - switch water for soya/oatley/rice milk and add a banana & blueberries (go for dried / frozen for cheaper options)
    salads - add real olive oil + cider / balsamic / sherry vinegar (get the oil from a cash & carry) & double the protein (i.e whole tin of tuna instead of half, or add eggs) or add nuts/seeds
  • full4ce
    full4ce Posts: 3
    Options
    I've actually done the research, and, if you buy in bulk RICE is the cheapest food per calorie. Even cheaper than sugar!!! You can buy long grain rice in bulk at COSTCO at 0.00069 per calorie for a 44 lbs. bucket, which is cheaper than the next available options of sugar, rolled oats, flour, or pinto beans.
  • bz26z6
    Options
    Cabbage.... cook in oven with tomato sauce and pepper. Not high in calories but the fibre fills you up completely. Add ground turkey in it for extra . You will be suprised how filling it is. I shred it so that its almost like eating a pasta. delish
  • KateRunsColorado
    KateRunsColorado Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Bananas!

I can usually get 4 bananas for about 75 cents! And they're about 100 calories each.
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Look around your area and see if there's an Asian grocery somewhere. I find the best prices there on large quantities of raw almonds, long grain brown rice, and spices. For example, for the price of a tiny plastic shaker of Turmuric in a regular grocery store I can buy nearly a pound of it at the Asian grocery.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Anything Perishable is gonna cost you! Produce, Meats, Veggies, Fruit even Eggs have gotten out of hand especially if your thowin yolks away. SO...look for Bulk sales and stock up n freeze.

Not necessarily. Esepciay if you have an Asian or Latino grocery store nearby-- their produce is really inexpensive.

I second the Asian or Mexican grocery stores. Veggies are so much cheaper.

Lentils, brown rice, dry beans are inexpensive.
  • weird_me2
    weird_me2 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I think that your ideas are great, and if you want to keep the lower calorie fresh veggies cheaper, adding oil is a great way to do it. I can have a serving of fresh green beans or asparagus for only 20 calories but add 1 T of oil and you've added 120 calories for very cheap. You can get a 3 L of olive oil at Sam's club for about $15, which comes out to about $.63 per 1000 calories. If you went with a cheaper oil, you could probably get your 1000 calories for half that price. Over the course of the day, you could use 3 T of oil fairly easily without making your food too "greasy". Use 1 t to cook your omelette in the morning, drizzle 1 T over your salad at lunch, when you have meat, add oil, use it to cook your veggies, etc. I've even known people who've added "flavorless" oils to smoothies and oatmeal. That would add 300-400 calories to your day easily and for only about $.25-.35.

I also like to use cheese. I can buy a 2.5 lb block of sharp cheddar at Sam's club for about $6. That means that it's actually about $1.25 per 1000 calories, but when you add it to dishes, it's fairly cheap and very flavorful. If you add an ounce or two of cheese throughout your day, you've added another 200 calories for about $.25.
  • 1fatmom
    Options
    Cabbage is usually inexpensive. You can make slaws, boil, bake or frye the green. Red cabbage can be used in salads and you can make sweet and sour cabbage which is delicious!