Running Question

Options
My husband and I have started walking/running based on suggestion I saw here to walk a song, run a song. So we've been doing that and working up to running two songs, walking one. I seem to have no problem with the actual running or my breathing, but part way into my head just suddenly feels overheated and my face gets beet red. Am I doing something wrong? How am I ever going to run a 5K if I can't run 5 minutes with out my head feeling like it's going to burst into flames?

Replies

• Chelsinicole63
    Chelsinicole63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have this problem in my shoulders. I dont know if theres any way to get rid of this, but i would try maybe bringing water along and pouring a little on your head to cool down. Thats the only thing i can think of.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty normal to me. Burning calories produces heat, heat has to go somewhere, out your head is the most efficient. (This is also why you wear a hat in cold weather)

I have that sensation about 3-5 minutes into a run, and about a minute after I finish... the breeze created when running no longer takes the heat away.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    that's pretty interesting! perhaps bring a bottle of water and pour it on your head as you run? not sure...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I would check out Couch to 5K. It's a much more gradual approach to running a 5K. Perhaps you are doing too much for what your body can handle right now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Although you say you don't have a problem with breathing, I believe that this is one of the most important factors with running e.g. I always run to music so if a quicker song comes on I will usually run a bit faster and my breathing will change also. I try to concentrate on steady breathing. You will find that with practice you will eventually get into a good rhythm and by this stage it feels like you could just keep going forever. The limiting factor becomes muscle fatigue and soreness rather than cardio ability. When I was doing a lot of running, I could go for a 10km run and come back barely puffing if I was cruising. Alternatively, I could also do a 5km one and come back absolutely stuffed if I pushed hard.
  • heatherine
    heatherine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I do run to music and I try to concentrate on my breathing. I have been thinking about checking out the Couch to 5K, maybe I'll download that today. :)
  • mirgss
    mirgss Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    It could be that your body has trouble sweating (mine does). I've found that after running for long enough, my body has learned to get rid of its heat through sweat rather than turning my skin red and making me feel like 200 degrees. What time of day do you run? Is it hot/cold? Muggy? If it's warm or muggy you might want to try running during a different time of day - before the sun comes up or after it's slid behind the trees. I know I always have a much harder time when the sun is beating down on me.

I think if your 1 song run/1song walk or 2 songs run/1song walk is working for you, keep at it! Before you know it you will be a running master :)
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Heatherine - Couch to 5k is a really useful program and would help. Also, do you wear a hat when you run? That may trap some heat on your head and cause some overheating. It does for me sometimes. Mesh running hats with wicking might work better.

Summerbabe - for your shoulders, you might be tensing them up or holding them too high when you run. I have a tendency to do that on longer runs. i sometimes just let my arms drop to my sides every now and then to remind my shoulders to relax. Try that every mile or half mile and see if it helps.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Our bodies change a lot as we get more accustomed to fitness.

When I first started I didn't sweat too much but would have a very high heart rate just on the 2 minute warm up. Then a month later it changed so I sweated more but could run longer.

Move forward again and now it takes 3k just to start breaking a sweat but once I do I can guarantee that I look like I was just caught in an April Shower even though my heart rate is at a constant low rate.

These changes have been very noticeable to me and it is obvious that my body has been adjusting to my ever longer and harder runs. These were big changes but I have been pushing my limits so hard it is understandable that my body has been forced to adapt.

I am sure the couch to 5k would help as it is a gradual increase. If you try to run for longer too quickly (say more than 10% a week) it could just be your bodies way of saying "Whoa, slow down girl!" :flowerforyou:
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I want to jump in and say c25k is awesome. I'm on week 3 now and still feeling good.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    Sip a full bottle of water a half an hour before you run. Also, run only as fast as you can breathe deeply. Breathe as much through your nose as you can. Once you get your breathing under control, you can go faster and farther. I sweat horribly after I exercise. It's unpleasant but it happens. I also feel like I'm having a hot flash for about 30 minutes after. I drink a full bottle of cold water and sit under a fan for about half an hour after my run.
  • heatherine
    heatherine Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your great advice. I will try some of your suggestions and just keep at it. :)