Exercise or calories first

Options
I am currently aiming to eat 1200 cals a day and until recently was not using up any calories earned through exercise. It made me feel like I was being very well behaved but realised I couldn't maintain this - afterall I need the calories to be able to do the exercise in the first place - which leads me to my question:

Previously i have done exercise as a way to "earn" calories for a treat of an evening (I tend to exercise after work, 7pm ish), a chocolate bar or glass of wine etc as a reward for exercising. Now I am thinking I would be better stocking up on the calories I will burn before I do the exercise so that I have the energy to actually carry out the exercise (5km runs at the mo).

How do other people treat their exercise calories?

Replies

• stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I add my intended exercise calories in the morning and then pre-log my entire day using those calories. This also helps stop me from skipping workouts because I know it will be a pain to have to go back and fix my log for the day.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I just calculate in those calories with the rest.

I have a treat if it fits, whether or not I exercise.

I do NOT reward myself with food.
  • sastrodder
    sastrodder Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea, putting in the exercise cals before they are done, sometimes I put food in before i eat it so I know what I have left, makes sense to do the same for exercise. I'm going to start doing this!!!!
  • semi75
    Options

Great point, rarely should food be thought of as a reward. Our perspective on food determines a great deal of our outcome.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Normally I eat my exercise calories after the exercise because I exercise during the day. So I usually use 3/4 of my calories after lunch time, then I work out and I've earnt enough for dinner and then a snack late in the evening (at the moment it's dark chocolate, but it varies sometimes i will have fruit, a hot drink, yoghurt, etc. just something around the 150 cal mark maximum).
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I eat them all. Maybe not all at once but I will make up for my workouts eventually.
  • I add my intended exercise calories in the morning and then pre-log my entire day using those calories. This also helps stop me from skipping workouts because I know it will be a pain to have to go back and fix my log for the day.
    I do something similar, actually. It helps motivate me later in the day too, because I can only exercise in the evening after work. If I've already logged it, I feel guiltier about skipping.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    thats why i like to work out in the morning. i log the exercise burned and have the calories to play with all day.

btw, i like a post-work out recovery/protein shake. i usually can adjust the amount of calories in the shake to how much i burned.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.

Consider the calories you will be burning through exercise as part of your daily calories. Break it down however feels best to you. Calories from exercise are not special calories that need special timing. They're part of your TDEE.

See
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.

Consider the calories you will be burning through exercise as part of your daily calories. Break it down however feels best to you. Calories from exercise are not special calories that need special timing. They're part of your TDEE.

See
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

Agreed!! I just eat them back same as the rest... Deficit is already there....
  • SkinnyBubbaGaar
    SkinnyBubbaGaar Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the number on Ed's ticker above.

3 Hundred and F'n Eleven.

If Ed's been eating back his calories and has dumped 311 pounds off of his frame then I think that pretty much answers the question now doesn't it?
  • sastrodder
    Options

Great point, rarely should food be thought of as a reward. Our perspective on food determines a great deal of our outcome.
  • sastrodder
    Options
    Thank you
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    My BMR is a little over 1500 so I aim to net about 1600 calories per day. I eat most of my exercise calories back. You can come out the same way by doing more complex TDEE calculations, but my activity fluctuates, so I just use MFP, set it to net 1600 and I lose. What is your BMR? Eat over that but under your TDEE. MFP sort of does the same thing in sort of a backwards way, but I definitely think slow and steady wins the race. :smile:
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I agree food should not be a reward.

But it will motivate me to do extra exercise - I've never been "sporty" and so would not exercise just for health. If by exercising I can lose weight AND have a glass of wine I will approach it with a much more positive attitude than "just" losing weight :drinker:

For example, I now do a short workout before breakfast as well as when I get home in the evening. If I was not going to "reward" myself the morning workout would probably go. And if I'm honest the afternoon workout wouldn't stand much chance either:embarassed: