Paranoia

Options
I am normally a very open, honest person--even on Internet sites. I usually use my real name, but not here.

For some weird reason, I am SUPER PARANOID that someone I know will see me on this site.

I think it's partly because I fear I won't be honest with myself or others here on MFP if people who know me can read what I write.

There's also a teeny tiny part of me that worries I will "jinx" myself, or somehow set myself up for failure if I go public about my attempt to lose weight.

Anyone else paranoid about revealing their true identity because they don't want people in their "real life" to know they are here?

Replies

• aoifebos1
    aoifebos1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I totally get what your saying and I'm sure many people on here do. It a very private personal journey for some. Its totally up to you if you want to shout it from the rooftops or quietly do it yourself with no outside pressure from others, but support from others in the same boat. Sometimes the "well wishers" in our lives can be the people that put us down the most without even meaning to.

Good luck and much love,
    What ever your name is!!
    :wink:
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to get paranoid about weight loss. It's a personal struggle, and can be hard to be honest about. I can't say I've actively gone looking for people I know unless I've personally suggested the app to them. However, stranger or friend, I try to be as honest as possible. Whatever they think doesn't matter, but if you hide your progress, it becomes harder to stay accountable to YOURSELF. And that is what is the most important part of becoming healthy.

Wishing you an easy transition. :) Keep at it, and you can reach your goals!
  • MarthaAnn8186
    MarthaAnn8186 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm just paranoid. No Matter what the situation. I have to get a grip. Then I am o.k.
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I get it to some extent. I just started doing this, on here and in real-life. Lots of weight to lose. I've mentioned it casually to family and coworkers, but am not making a big deal out of it or wanting it to be the topic of conversation all the time. I put a pic of myself on my profile, and started a blog, but also turned off the settings for people I know on Facebook and Twitter to find me. They don't need to be that in the loop.

I also look at it this way, sooner or later, when you lose enough weight, people are going to know. Then the annoying personal questions/comments start.

You do what's right for you and don't worry about it.
  • aminer31
    aminer31 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I struggle with my friends seeing my diary but found honesty has kept me from eating something because i dont want my supporters to see something terrible in there!
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I did a little. Like how it says i can connect to FB to announce my results.... I don't want people to know how much I lost because they might realize how big I got! And I do have a few RL friends on here and I was still a little up-tight about announcing how much I weigh ...it's a number I don't even want to admit to myself!
  • BlackKat75
    BlackKat75 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. I've been on here over a year, and I only just told people in real life about the existence of MFP and how I've found success with it. I don't have any friends on here that know me in real life and I purposefully picked a screen name that I have never used on any other boards, etc. I felt this was necessary in order for me to be truly open and honest with myself on the site.
  • sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Actually, why would "people you know" need to know your inner thoughts and insecurities and maybe some of your secrets? Not even your mother is entitled to that. It is called personal space. Friends are not friends because we cannot hide anything from them or MUST tell them everyhing about us but because we like each other and can support each other if the other person asks imho. From the "digger" type of people it is even better to hide whatever you can anyways. :smile:
  • fresh_start59
    fresh_start59 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I don't care so much if people know what I eat or even how much I weigh. I don't carry the weight well, so it's certainly not a secret.

I know that part of my weight problem stems from emotional eating (depression) and my laziness about cooking healthy meals (which I think is also linked to depression). And I know that my poor physical health stems directly from my fear of dying from a heart attack or asthma attack while I'm exercising (anxiety / panic attack).

So, for me, losing weight and keeping it off means that I need to deal with the mental health aspect. And part of dealing with it means "talking" about it, here, anonymously. Aside from family and a couple close friends, most people that I know personally or professionally have no idea what a mess I am on the inside. And I don't want anyone to know.
  • moonsforeyes
    Options
    YES! Me me me! I don't want the people around me to know that I am on here. The people in my life aren't very understanding of my lfiestyle and often accuse me of being "extreme," because while I am thin and healthy, I still like to track and maintain but they don't understand it! I found the support and community I need here and it's perfect!