Weight Training Info

Options
So far, I've been trying to tone up with my weight training. I use moderate weight and do 2 reps of 20. One acquaintance who is trying to work on a more "ripped" appearance suggests lighter weight and more reps. However, another friend who is in a fitness class says that after about 1 rep of 15, your muscles stop responding and that more reps don't do anything. I keep finding conflicting info. Anyone have experience and success using either method?

Replies

• slimntrim0884
    Options
    My personal trainer just told me the other day that it doesn't so much matter how many reps or sets you may do, but it's important to switch it up. For example, some days he may have me do 3 sets of 15 on biceps but another day he has me working the biceps more on a time schedule, like for a min straight with less weight. He says weight training is just like cardio, you to have to change it up so that your muscles dont become used to them.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Lower weight and higher reps build muscular endurance and is considered cardio.

Higher weight and lower reps build muscular strength and leads to hypertrophy and is what you need to be doing in resistance training if you consider it different from cardio.

"Toning" or firming up will happen with weight training. Cardio adds to your calorie deficit causing fat loss. Too much cardio without enough weight training leads to muscle atrophy and gives you a "squishy" or "skinny fat" appearance. This is what happened to me and is one of the big reasons why I lift as heavy as I possibly can when I go to the gym. You will NOT bulk up, but you will look lean, firm, and "toned."
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is:
    High weight, low reps (3-5 to failure) builds strength
    Moderate weight, medium reps (6-12 to failure) builds muscle (hypertrophy).
    Low weight, high reps builds endurance - i.e., more cardio than strength.

Sets are usually 3 to 5 for strength and muscle.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules for Lifting for Women - it will explain the hows and why of heavy lifting for women - I love it and it has 6 months of workout routines included
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    set and reps don't matter as much as effort does. It sounds like you're talking about stopping at 20 reps with a weight that you could probably do for 40 reps. It won't matter if you stop at 20 or 6 or 10 or 1 with that small weight. You have got to pick a weight heavy enough that you have to struggle to finish your final few reps, no matter what your rep range is.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If your not using enough weight to challenge yourself it probably isnt doing much good. Variety is good some days I will do higher rep sets and others lower. I usually dont do more than 15. I lift heavy and I am not bulky!
  • angelcurry130
    angelcurry130 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've seen some minor muscle development with my current system. I just don't want to beef out, or lose what I've built up. Pretty happy with the current tone rate.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Ummm..... about beefing out.

It is not possible
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Read the New Rules for Lifting for Women - it will explain the hows and why of heavy lifting for women - I love it and it has 6 months of workout routines included

......it does NOT teach hows and whys of lifting for women....it teaches the hows and whys for lifting PERIOD....

I really wish people would stop spending money on stuff bc it is categorized for a woman....its the same rules for both sexes. You can find the same info on bodybuilding.com. But I am glad it is working for you.

<3
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I've seen some minor muscle development with my current system. I just don't want to beef out, or lose what I've built up. Pretty happy with the current tone rate.

You won't 'beef out'.....if you knew what it has taken me to get where I am now...there is no way that a beginner would beef up. Every girl I train freaks out that when I make them lift big...they will get bulky like me. Well guess what....after 2 months they are whining about why they still dont have super muscle definition and tone. It takes a dang long time to get here....and even longer to get bigger. Try for about a year...then we will see if you beef out. LOL