Struggling with diet and exercise

Options
I thought I was doing pretty good started to eat right and exercise even if it was 10-20 mins each day, even managed to lose 3-5lb. But now I've hit a wall. My diet is practically out the window all the things' I said I wouldn't eat I am eating and the exercise is practically non-existent!
I feel fat, ugly and yuk! Can't stand to look in the mirror and it's just making me feel down to the point I just can't be bothered and want to stay in bed and cry. It's just one vicious circle!! I want to get out of!!

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have eliminated completely from my diet are trips to McDs.

It sounds to me like you went on a very restrictive diet and have already found out that this wont work for you.

Now, try a sensible diet. Eat lots of veggies and lean protein, a bit of grain, fruit and nuts and the occasional indulgence.

Maybe you could work on adding things to your diet (ie, veggies) rather than focusing on eliminating things.

Figuring out what works for you is the only way out of the cycle.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Patience and self-love is what gets us through the hard parts - self loathing never got anyone anywhere. I had to start by telling myself, over and over again, that I was human. That this was a learning process. That we all have good days and bad days. Brake the cycle, the destructive thoughts of "this will never work unless I do it 100% all of the time!"

Because you won't do it 100% of the time. None of us do. Life happens and sometimes that life includes cheesecake and brownies or bacon-loaded burgers. And sometimes we don't work out and sometimes we just don't want to do ANY of it. But the way to get back to doing it all is to just get back to doing it all.

Self-admonishment isn't nesscary and hating yourself certainly isn't. The cycle isn't that you do well and have a bad day, the cycle is that you do well, have a human day, and then beat yourself up for it. Which leads to giving up, which leads to more self-hate, etc etc.

You're diet is not out the window. It's never too late to just pick up and get back to it. There's a quote that says "Tired of starting over? Then don't stop!" You don't have to stop because of one bad day (or week or month). You just have to work on loving yourself enough to keep going.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have eliminated completely from my diet are trips to McDs.

It sounds to me like you went on a very restrictive diet and have already found out that this wont work for you.

Now, try a sensible diet. Eat lots of veggies and lean protein, a bit of grain, fruit and nuts and the occasional indulgence.

Maybe you could work on adding things to your diet (ie, veggies) rather than focusing on eliminating things.

Figuring out what works for you is the only way out of the cycle.

What she said. If you deprive yourself too much you won't last long. Works some treats into your calorie allowance and enjoy them. If you feel that don't have enough calories you may need to either increase your calorie intake or make adjustments throughout the day to allow for it.

Also, you have to decide which has the bigger payoff - eating better and exercise OR eating what you want and how much you want and being sedentary. If you hate the effects of the second choice enough you'll do the first instead. Just do your best to be reasonable. Losing weight doesn't have to mean starving and deprivation and suffering.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Your profile pic says"Small changes make a big difference." Post this all over your house. Make a few small changes every week. The first small change your should make today is to forgive yourself for being human. Then decide to make a small change this week--like marching in place during the commercials or swapping our one high calorie food for something lower in calories each day If you can't do it--try it next week. We have all been there. Just DONT GIVE UP on yourself!
  • CaddieMay
    CaddieMay Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You're getting such good advice here! I haven't been to McDonald's in about a month - which is amazing for me. In the meantime, I tried new things: mangoes, avocados, ground flaxseed, almond milk, kefir. And now these things have become part of my "diet." I read and research and question everything (probably way too much), and I am lazy as hell, but I know that this will take some time. I am developing new habits to replace old ones. I have learned that every time I jump into something headfirst, I end up quitting. So this time I am taking it day by day.

But yes, I DO want to lose weight now. Like, right now. I am impatient. But that, too, will change.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Stop eating those things and get back on it. NBD. You'll be feeling good again after one hard workout. Promise.
  • charuw
    Options
    I eat OK during the day but I throw good sense out the window at night/evenings when I am tired. I am trying to train myself but I eat what I shouldn't be eating at night. I feel like I am training to eat healthy, but, don't know when I will be sensible in the evenings too???
  • Superchas
    Superchas Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    You have a finite amount of willpower.
    Focus what you have on your first effort and then your next.
    I have bad days I have bad weeks but never two bad weeks in succession.
    Exercise becomes easier and easier as diet gathers momentum.
    There will be plateaus but mfp helps.

eat less
    be honest about what you are eating and log it
    exercise more

I measure my exercise in McDonalds cheeseburgers and in 2013 have burnt 243 of them.
    I used to eat six on the way home to my dinner.
    Not going back

Best
  • Lilith5
    Lilith5 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I haven't eliminated everything I think that's the problem. I've chucked out chocolate and crisps but allowing myself a biscuit here and there or share a cake. I've done this before and it went brilliantly for 5-6 years then I moved closer to family and that's when my weight shot up and the struggle started.
  • wahinenz
    Options
    Dont give up you will get there little steps first. I feel like that every time I weigh myself I get off and think oh what hell THEN I look in the mirror and and think that's what the hell ....You can do it!!!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I eat OK during the day but I throw good sense out the window at night/evenings when I am tired. I am trying to train myself but I eat what I shouldn't be eating at night. I feel like I am training to eat healthy, but, don't know when I will be sensible in the evenings too???

I can't see your diary, but this makes me wonder how many calories you are eating - if too few for your activity level, you will be prone to bingeing. I always try to leave a few calories for my evening snack, but I also make sure I have a satisfying dinner.

Are you eating out of habit or boredom? If so, find a new evening routine. I play Wii games more than I watch TV, now, but you might need something out of the house. I actually undereat on dance class days, since i burn twice as much as usual, but am busy all evening. One day, I went upstairs to go to bed at like 9 because I knew that I had the munchies, not actual hunger. I just got as far away from the pantry as possible.
  • Lilith5
    Options
    I don't eat McD's, BK or KFC's I might share (which is prob worse) a chow mein, or kebab but that's only if I don't feel like cooking which is very rare. My local shop don't sell the bread I eat which is Hovis Wheatgerm so then I tend to buy white bread and that's a big baddy for me as I can't eat just one piece.
  • khall86790
    khall86790 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You should review your calorie intake. If it is 1500+ it could be you aren't creating enough of a deficit and should lower by 100 cals or so. But do NOT go below 1200 calories per day, you should aim for more like 1400+ if you can.
    Also, you may need to up the exercise you are doing. As your body becomes used to a style of exercise (e.g. if you are following the same routine constantly) it works the muscles less as they become used to the work load you are giving them.
    Sometimes it can be as simple as adding an extra 10-15 minutes per day onto what you are already doing, other times it can be you should add some weights into the mix or just try a completely new style to get some new muscles and contractions into the mix.
  • Lilith5
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! :smile:
  • Lilith5
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice! :smile:
  • terijoestoes
    terijoestoes Posts: 205 Member
    Options

Eat more fiber during the day and track your protein. Those things will keep you full. Here is a low Cal treaat for evening. 12oz Greek yogurt mix in 1/4 c splenda and one box sugar free instant jello pudding. Stir well. I love the white chocolate flavor. 1/2 c is about 50cals. I add some redi whip on top another 15cals. Plan your evening meal and have enough cals left for a treat. Give yourself at least a month or more to get used to this new life
  • lesinlc
    Options
    don't be so hard on yourself, just start over...everyone slips up from time to time...keep up the work-outs soon you'll be able to work out longer and will start to notice small changes....I still have to tlak myself out of bed to work out some mornings
  • stephaniemejia1671
    stephaniemejia1671 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have gone a few days eating bad or not working out at all. But what doesn't happen is I dont lose focus of my long term goal. Just keep your mind open that in order for you to succeed, you have to fail. You learn along the way what works for you and what doesn't. Your body wasn't built in a day.
  • fluffy925
    fluffy925 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    @ quirkytizzy thx, that helped me too, as i;m having a bad day today! and your post made me feel better!
  • nowpaige
    nowpaige Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've only been a part of myfitnesspal.com for a few days, but already see the benefit of logging everything I eat. It has helped me plan for the next meal. I've included my favorite candy in the diary (Werther's cream filled candy) which I must have after lunch and dinner. I'm also recognizing that I need to have healthy snacks during the day which fill my tummy and hold me over until the next meal. I'm not starving, but definitely look forward to my next meal!

I'm not beating myself up about having a single piece of candy because I haven't eaten the whole bag! (Celebration!)

Trust your judgement and if you have an indulgent day, start again on the next day! I wish you success and perseverance.