Are you cold?

Options
I am frequently soooo cold these days. Is this caused by my weight loss (over 100) or is it just a colder Canadian winter?

Replies

• twistedge
    Options
    I totally blame the weight loss.... I'm freezing all the time now.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    How much iron are you getting? Iron deficiency is often accompanied by coldness. It's not unusual for people who are "dieting" to become iron deficient because they tend to cut out foods that are high in iron like red meat and dark meat poultry due to these being fattier.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    It must be the weight loss. Two down sides of losing weight. It's colder, and chairs are harder on you butt.
    But I am on the other side of canada, and the daffodills are just about to bloom.
    It is Still damp though, that gives me the chills.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Certain places are always cold like my hands and feet. However, my thighs, butt, and back are always warm. I've noticed that the areas around large muscle groups will stay nice and warm (could have something to do with increased muscle mass since I'm bulking) but places without a lot of tissue (boney places like hands and feet) get cold very easily. Especially since I've put on enough mass that my ribs are much less visible I've found that they stay a bit warmer now. I think fat and muscle work to insulate your body.
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Definitely losing weight and being a woman for me. It's horrible! I'm cold all the time. Especially in the Summer - we have the air conditioning unit on at work as men always appear to be too hot (and I work in an office which are ALL men!) and I'm just sat their layered up like it's a cold winter's day!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It must be the weight loss. Two down sides of losing weight. It's colder, and chairs are harder on you butt.
    But I am on the other side of canada, and the daffodills are just about to bloom.
    It is Still damp though, that gives me the chills.

Yes! My tailbone hurts much more now than ever - but I'm trying to build up my glutes to help. :)

I think you do feel the cold more initially but you do acclimate after a while. I'm not sure if there's a logical reason behind this but I seem to be warmer when I'm exercising consistently so maybe up your activity level to help?
  • jeansuza
    jeansuza Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I'll check that...
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am freezing. I have been slowly upping my calories to try to heat up. So far, no luck. When I am at home, I will do 5-10 minutes of exercise to wam up. It doesn't go over well in the office. In addition to these short warm ups, I work out almost an hour a day, so overall activity level isn't helping. At least I am warm for that hour, even if my partner won't let me give him a sweaty hug when he steps out of the shower.

I live in Texas, so I can't really blame the cold winter.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    On high protein, low fat, low carb diet, I freeze. If I eat carbs in the morning, it gets the fires burning. The increased metabolism makes me burn calories better and keeps me warmer.
    I just had to get rid of the wheat. The wheat made me hungry all day and I couldn't stop eating. Now I have a potato with vegetables for breakfast. I know, ODD. But it works for me. The potato has a bad rap, but is super high in potassium and fiber. It really has no more calories than an apple.
    The jury is out on the brown rice for me right now.
    At night, I get cold feet. Now I jus rotate each foot and the rotating increases blood flow and warms my feet right up, so I sleep compfortably.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    i am glad you brought this up, i thought it was just me being cold all the time.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    yes i am always cold at work. my fingers even go numb sometimes
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    at least being cold keeps me from sitting. Some times I will run on the spot or get outside for a run with the dog. That way I am warmed up for a while.
  • MozzarellaSheep
    MozzarellaSheep Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    It's freezing here! Pouring rain and all that jazz
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i feel the same way! my fingers sometimes even go numb when I'm typing my notes in class! this is a pretty chilly winter too.. i might have to get me some gloves! (:
  • Pinkiepreppie
    Pinkiepreppie Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well...In spite of the 3 feet of snow outside my window, I am HOT most of the time. I live in my own "private summer." The best is when people ask me why I have a red rash all over my face and chest...it's called a hot flash people! I look forward to cooling off one day...
  • PoleBoy
    PoleBoy Posts: 271
    Options
    when you're running at a deficit the body "helpfully" lowers it's thermostat to save energy
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have been known to walk around in a jacket all winter long, with my 82 pounds off my butt is freezing this year. I'm wearing sweat shirts, long johns, and a winter coat to keep warm. So I believe it's the weight loss.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i lost 110 pounds yeas ago, and i'm often cold now. i solve this by wearing sweaters and doing push ups.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    When I'm eating over maintenance, like bulking, I'm always warm. When I'm cutting and in calorie deficit, I'm cold a lot.
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yes, since loosing my baby weight from my son, I do get colder. It has been about a year for me. i joined MFP recently.
    I do think there is something about weight and feeling warm or cold. When I was at my highest, I was always hot.
    Now I feel the cold in my hands and feet mostly.
    I like to get a cup of hot tea ready in the afternoon, keeps me warm and its very relaxing to have it in my hands.