calories.

Be gentle..my first forum post..
Joined awhile ago..just now decided to log everything and join this great community...

soo..my problem..

I can't seem to get in my calories. I have 565 left for the day.I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I feel full..but always lacking in the calories. how can I add calories in a healthy way? my normal meals..

egg, 2 strips of bacon, strawberries.breakfast
cheese,pickles,lunch meat.snack
salad with cheese, tuna and dressing.lunch
almonds, carrots.snacks
fish,green beans.dinner
air popped pop corn, butter buds spray.snack.

so..not the amt of cals the thing is telling me...i feel i'm eating enough..and feel full.

I'm 5'3 and 196 lbs. moderate lifestyle..45 min cardio 3x a week.

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    the egg one and the fish one... do you kind of just cook everything in water, or have you forgot to count the olive oil/butter that you are making them on?
  • i have a non stick skillet so yes..i don't put oil or butter to cook anything..or I use a 0 calorie spray thing....

and i cook the bacon first so i use the bacon grease to cook the egg..haha...
  • Coconut oil! You can cook with ir or even eat it with a spoon!
  • I need to pick some up..i have heard it is amazing in many ways..skin..hair..food..etc..ty!
  • ktdidit78
    ktdidit78 Posts: 29 Member
    You could add peanut butter (if you like it) to any of your snacks, that adds up fast and is great for energy.
  • I love peanut butter...could just eat a few spoonfuls :-)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    There are foods that are high in calories that are healthier than other choices. Foods like peanut butter, olive oil, eggs, butter (not the substitutes), avocado oil, protein powders, granola bars (like Nature Valley), protein bars, oatmeal, potatoes, yams, sweet potatoes, breads, pastas, rice, cheese, milk, meats, no low calorie condiments/snacks, etc. Maybe include some ice cream :)
  • thanks. I do low carb too so most of those would be off limits..but I could add some of those. if i added cheese and meats to my eggs and salad..i should be ok..
  • If you feel fine and you have not already cut yourself down to a very low calorie intake (like 1200/day) then I would not worry about hitting your calorie goals as long as you are doing okay on macro and micronutrients. Don't be afraid to supplement on the micronutrients either.
  • I always tell my friends who have difficulty hitting their calorie goal to drink some calories. Milk is a great way, and doesn't really fill you up!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    add some avocado to your salad, don't use a fat free dressing

dip your carrots in hummus

celery & pb, more tuna in your salad, apple & pb, banana

eta: use real butter on your popcorn instead of the spray (unless you did that before and you enjoy it that way)
  • sofielein
    i have a non stick skillet so yes..i don't put oil or butter to cook anything..or I use a 0 calorie spray thing....

Oil and fat are not the devil, they are good for you and they ARE supposed to have calories. And they taste much better and they are NATURAL so they won't make your liver go bankrupt and get stomach cancer when you are 60.

If you do everything the low cal and 0 cal version why do you wonder you are hundreads of calories minus?

My advice: cook properly, measure the butter you put in the pan on an accurate kitchen scale (you don't need to overdo it hun, just a tbsp can be enough). It will not be unhealthy like all the 0 cal things, it will help your nails and hair be nice and shiny, it will help you absorb the vitamins and improve your digestion. FAT IS GOOD OKAY? : )

Look at my ticker. I use up an entire bar of butter every week and cook right. And lose weight.

my 2 cents. :smile:

p.s. this process will also help you adapt to your later "normal" lifestyle when you won't be wanting to lose weight and still make good meals.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Definitely add oil.
    As above milk is great, cheese, avocados, nuts. If you are using low fat/lite versions of anything, stop.
  • KristineW78
    KristineW78 Posts: 42 Member
    Joined awhile ago..just now decided to log everything and join this great community...

soo..my problem..

I can't seem to get in my calories. I have 565 left for the day.I eat 3 meals and 2 snacks. I feel full..but always lacking in the calories. how can I add calories in a healthy way? my normal meals..

almonds, carrots.snacks
    fish,green beans.dinner

so..not the amt of cals the thing is telling me...i feel i'm eating enough..and feel full.

I would listen to your body and not try to eat more or add calories
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    i have a non stick skillet so yes..i don't put oil or butter to cook anything..or I use a 0 calorie spray thing....

Oil and fat are not the devil, they are good for you and they ARE supposed to have calories. And they taste much better and they are NATURAL so they won't make your liver go bankrupt and get stomach cancer when you are 60.

If you do everything the low cal and 0 cal version why do you wonder you are hundreads of calories minus?

My advice: cook properly, measure the butter you put in the pan on an accurate kitchen scale (you don't need to overdo it hun, just a tbsp can be enough). It will not be unhealthy like all the 0 cal things, it will help your nails and hair be nice and shiny, it will help you absorb the vitamins and improve your digestion. FAT IS GOOD OKAY? : )

Look at my ticker. I use up an entire bar of butter every week and cook right. And lose weight.

my 2 cents. :smile:

p.s. this process will also help you adapt to your later "normal" lifestyle when you won't be wanting to lose weight and still make good meals.

I so agree about the butter. I'm a careful measurer and make sure not to exceed my calories, but my asparagus sautéed in butter is one of my frequent joys. Also handful of walnuts in my muffins, slivered almonds in my green beans, some cashews in my stir fry. All good.
  • ty everyone. i will cook with evoo and butter..not use the fake stuff..that will help. adding natural healthy fats will be ok....thanks!
  • sofielein
    Good luck! Avocado, Peanut Butter and all the other suggestions are good too. The key is to just measure so you can calculate and decide how much you want to have from it.

(when you get good with measuring you will soon be able to tell just by eyesight how much that piece you cut off weighs : ) - it will help tremendous later when you have to eat out or anything)
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member

soo..my problem..

almonds, carrots.snacks
    fish,green beans.dinner

I would listen to your body and not try to eat more or add calories

Right, because we all became overweight by being so in tune with our bodies...

In addition to other suggestions above, what kind of dressing are you using? If it is non or low fat, ditch it for something with olive oil!