calorie limits

Options
I have a silly question. I have noticed that people congratulate each other when they stay under their calorie range, is it best to stay under that range and if so by how much?

Replies

• hheater
    hheater Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I try to HIT my goal, or get as darn close as I can. So if I am a couple calories over, I don't care. I wouldn't go under my goal if I could help it. It's important to nourish your body. :)
  • supergroovychick
    Options
    I think it really depends. I don't think it's healthy if a person has a pre-exercise calorie limit and is staying under that consistantly but I think it's okay when they've earned a bunch a exercise calories and don't eat them all back.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have a silly question. I have noticed that people congratulate each other when they stay under their calorie range, is it best to stay under that range and if so by how much?

For you, no since it looks like you're trying to stay at 1200 (unless I read your note in your diary for today wrong?) Since you're eating 1200 calories (I"m guessing you let MFP pick it for you and didn't read this post for your BMR and TDEE? http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 )

People can stay under their goal like I do-I have my daily goal set at my TDEE -20% so I don't eat back my workout calories which even if I eat over my TDEE -20%, it'll still say I'm under since MFP doesn't realize what I'm doing.
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I usually congratulate people for being within 100 calories of their goal (either higher or lower)--give or take.
  • friggie
    friggie Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    OK so mfp says I should eat 1200 calories before excersize, then when I put my calories burned through excersize it goes up to about 1600. So should I be eating 1600 calories, and if so will I lose weight at that amount?
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Yep, in that case you are counting your NET calories, some people set to their TDEE and not eat the calories back, others use like you do, eating your calories back maintaining your NET.
    If you use the NET "system" it's important never stay too low from your daily calories, since you are already counting the 20-25% less :)

someone correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you are already in a caloric deficit before exercise then I would make sure to replenish what you lost from exercise. Say you are eating at a 500 calorie deficit before exercise, then you go to the gym and workout and burn another 500 calories.....this would be a total daily deficit of 1000 calories! Not good, it will help you lose weight for a while, but over time your body can actually start going into starvation mode which is catastrophic for your metabolism. Also, having too little calories at the end of everyday can really increase your chances of giving into temptations and cravings. Hope that helps a little.
  • friggie
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. So is a 500 calorie deficit a good range to be in at the end of the day? I just don't want to be eating to less! Its weird saying I am worried about not eating enough lol
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help. So is a 500 calorie deficit a good range to be in at the end of the day? I just don't want to be eating to less! Its weird saying I am worried about not eating enough lol

you should have EDIT: NET1200 (sorry, you know what I mean) at the end of the day (as close as possible). It sounds strange, but you are meant to eat back as much of the calories you burn when exercising (as this boosts your metabolism and keeps your burning after, increases health etc anyway). Check my diary for an example.

Good luck!
  • friggie
    Options

you should have net 0 at the end of the day (as close as possible). It sounds strange, but you are meant to eat back as much of the calories you burn when exercising (as this boosts your metabolism and keeps your burning after, increases health etc anyway). Check my diary for an example.

Good luck!
    How do you lose weight then if no calorie deficit? I am confused!
  • eloisemonteiro
    eloisemonteiro Posts: 59 Member
    Options

you should have net 0 at the end of the day (as close as possible). It sounds strange, but you are meant to eat back as much of the calories you burn when exercising (as this boosts your metabolism and keeps your burning after, increases health etc anyway). Check my diary for an example.

Good luck!

Your NET calories is already the deficit, when you set the 1200 you are counting the -20% from your TDEE, that's why you have to eat back your calories :)

You should reach the 1200 NET by the end of the day, if you burn at the gym 500 you should eat the 500 back from that + the 'normal' 1200 during the day, so 1700 - 500 (that you burned) = 1200 ;)
  • friggie
    Options

Good luck!

Your NET calories is already the deficit, when you set the 1200 you are counting the -20% from your TDEE, that's why you have to eat back your calories :)

You should reach the 1200 NET by the end of the day, if you burn at the gym 500 you should eat the 500 back from that + the 'normal' 1200 during the day, so 1700 - 500 (that you burned) = 1200 ;)
    Wow, thanks now I got it, dang I need to eat more the days I do longer workouts then. At least I understand now before getting to far in this program. Thank you all for the help. I really am glad I found this site/group