Logging strength training

Options
I have played with mfp strength training madiggydagger (yep that's a word) and find it hard to input strength training exercises. I'm getting ready to use the all-in-one home gym thingee and I'm not an expert to know what the exercises are called. How do you all log your strength training? Or am I having a moment

Thx

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    If you need to know what certain exercises are called, check out bodybuilding.com as they have a huge database.

If you are trying to log it in order to see calories burned, search for weight training under the cardio section and you will find it there.
  • nuevonabieu
    Options
    If you need to know what certain exercises are called, check out bodybuilding.com as they have a huge database.

If you are trying to log it in order to see calories burned, search for weight training under the cardio section and you will find it there.

Thank you. I gave up last week and just did all cardio...AGAIN.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I have a really hard time estimating calories burned with strength training as well. There are just so many variable at work; what sort of move you did, your intensity, your reps... did you sort of shuffle sets together or rest fully between sets and take your time... etc.

At the same time, you know strength training is giving you more of a long term calorie burn than cardio, since the muscle you put on burns additional calories. It's like putting money into a savings account.
  • ittybittybadonkadonk
    ittybittybadonkadonk Posts: 11,634 Member
    Options
    I have a "total gym" you know the chuck norris machine ... I love it but I have no idea how to log it ....would someone assist me Thanks
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options
    I have a really hard time estimating calories burned with strength training as well. There are just so many variable at work; what sort of move you did, your intensity, your reps... did you sort of shuffle sets together or rest fully between sets and take your time... etc.

At the same time, you know strength training is giving you more of a long term calorie burn than cardio, since the muscle you put on burns additional calories. It's like putting money into a savings account.

I agree. I think it's 'pointless' trying to calculate it. I think you're best to do your calories and macros as per your weight...and your goals. Then just eat like that and check you physique in the mirror and then weigh yourself. If you have been training, and u look podgy, then you need less calories!

To be trying to count calories I think is like a dog chasing his tail.
    Weighing food, reading packages...and counting calories burnt. That's overkill.

On that note, I think cardio is not useful/sensible to 'lose weight'. Resistance training of compound, large muscle group areas will help you more. Maybe just twice a week or so. I think it's pointless trying to 'run off' excess weight, when all you need to do is eat a smaller slice of cake after dinner, etc.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    i just write my workout out in my notes section at the bottom of the log.