What to eat, and when?

Options
OK.
I do not fall into a normal category when it comes to working, waking, and sleeping.

I work nights. 7pm-530am. I am in bed by 6-630am. Up around 1030am.
I walk when I am at work. around 8 or 9 pm, and again around 1 or 2 am.

I have a stationary bike that I intend to start riding again, and that will be when I first wake up. I have a shoulder injury preventing me from doing the workouts that I used to do (Bowflex and Pull-Up bar) but soon I will do those again. Probably around 3pm before I get ready for work.

I just have no idea when to eat what foods. I know a certain amount of carbs is needed to give you the energy when you need it.
But, with my goofy schedule, I get confused.

Replies

• tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ?
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would say, generally, whatever feels normal to you in terms of meal distribution. Do you usually eat at noon, five or six, then some time in the middle of the night? Then do that. People do all kinds of things; there is the "six small meals every 3-4 hours" school, and on the other end there is intermittent fasting (basically eating almost everything in a narrow window). But are you really only sleeping 4 hours a day?
    Pre- and Post-workout is a different question, but as to the general question, I would say use your regular meal/snack layout if it works for you.
  • tony1307
    tony1307 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yes.. I usually only get 4-6 hours of sleep. I try to squeeze in an afternoon nap.
    I eat a little before noon.
    I eat at 6-7 PM
    eat at 10-11
    and snack at 1-2am.
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Dude, don't make it so complicated! If you are making smart choices in what you eat and hitting your required macros, then your body will know how to put them to good use. Your digestion system doesn't work on a 24 schedule, think more long term and at the bigger picture. If at the end of the week you are meeting your goals then it's not going to matter what time you ate those calories. Too many people drive themselves crazy with meal timing....there is no need to stress, eat when it works for you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Dude, don't make it so complicated! If you are making smart choices in what you eat and hitting your required macros, then your body will know how to put them to good use. Your digestion system doesn't work on a 24 schedule, think more long term and at the bigger picture. If at the end of the week you are meeting your goals then it's not going to matter what time you ate those calories. Too many people drive themselves crazy with meal timing....there is no need to stress, eat when it works for you.

^^ This.
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Agreed! It doesn't matter when you eat as long as you're eating the right things. My husband works crazy night hours also so he tries to eat every 3-4 hours. I also eat every 3-4 hours that I'm awake (comes out to 3 meals and 2 snacks). But your body doesn't "turn off" at a certain time so it will take the fuel you give it and use it appropriately. Hope this helps!