how often should someone work out?

Options
I need some help. I am doing my home work outs everyday. First was the 30DS and now i'm on 6w6p..because it was my birthday this week I have steered of course the last week. I was reading some posts on here about how you should workout everyday... what do you think??

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on what you feel you can stick to. There is no hard and fast rule about when you should workout, how long, how many days etc. It's what ever your personal preference is.

Me, I exercised 5 days a week. I just finished Insanity and got used to 6 days so I'm going to continue with that. That's not to say that I'm not going to skip a workout if I feel I need to but this is what right now I feel is going to work for me.
  • NYCNika
    NYCNika Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I now do cardio every other day. My main purpose for working out is keeping metabolism up since I am eating significantly less now.
  • Jojo1859
    Jojo1859 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I feel like you need to give yourself one rest day every other week at the very least. Give your body some time to recoup :)
  • sleibo87
    sleibo87 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    You definitly should give your body One day a week off! I tend to workout six days a week but even when i would skip here and there and only do 4 days I still lost. I love jillians body revolution since it kept changing dvds i never got bored like some do with 30ds. I usually workout for 45 mins to an hour and really try to bust my butt in that time. I would rather RUN for a half hour then walk for an hour and a half to burn the same calories, but thats more cause I just don't want to spend the time lol. Just do what you can, 5-6 days is a good goal, but like I said try to give your muscles a day to rest.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For optimal health, adults should get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise per day so that's what I strive for.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For optimal health, adults should get a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise per day so that's what I strive for.

Brought to you by the same people that gave us the food pyramid....
  • jimmie65
    Options
    I do strenuous exercise 5 or 6 days a week, depending on how my body feels. But even on rest day, I get at least 30 mins of light cardio (but usually over an hour).
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    for me, 5 days a week is ideal
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your body does need recovery, but that doesn't mean you do nothing necessarily. I have 3x weekly aerobic zone (30 min), 3x weekly recovery zone (30 min) and 3x weekly heavy lift with one day "off"...but I'll still go for a walk with the dogs...play with my kids at the park, etc. Since my focus is on strength training, I can't overdo the cardio or my lifts will suck *kitten* due to a lack of recovery.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I believe your body does need a day of rest. I LOVE rest days! Some weeks I work out twice in one day, just to get an extra rest day :-) I think it comes down to what works for you! Good luck!
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

:laugh:
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options
    I workout pretty much every day but I listen to my body.. it usual tells me after the 7th day to take it easy, maybe walk instead of doing high intensity cardio.

IMO, it's all up to how you feel
  • rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I work out everyday, sometimes twice a day. It works for me but I realize it is not for everyone. I think it is all about finding your sweet spot, not someone else's.
  • lawrence_warmachine
    Options

I was thinking the same. However they mean by 'exercise' just walking around, shopping...not being sedentary.

I wonder why anyone wants to be in a gym every day!
    Doing weights every day is madness. If you do weights, take a day off between sessions to recover/rest/grow.
    That's if you do a 3-day split. If u do full-body w'outs, you might need 2 to 3 days rest between workouts, if you're v strong.

On rest days, it's nice to sauna or swim, or something low impact.
    If you weight train and diet properly, you shouldn't need cardio to lose weight. Eat less food.

I recommend speed rope as cardio. You only need 5 minutes!

:)
  • litatura
    Options

Ummm....okay. Not sure why you're poking fun at that. :huh: People should get some sort of exercise every day. Just like you need to eat your fruits and veggies.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    Ummm....okay. Not sure why you're poking fun at that. :huh: People should get some sort of exercise every day. Just like you need to eat your fruits and veggies.

The food pyramid made the US fat. The 30 minutes a day is making the US lazy.

30 minutes is a bare, bare minimum.
  • litatura
    Options
    Yeah, hence the reason why I said minimum. I run 5kms three times a week, 10 kms once a week, and do 30 minute videos on my off days to get my other body parts moving. I hardly think that qualifies as lazy.
  • jimmie65
    Options
    Yeah, hence the reason why I said minimum. I run 5kms three times a week, 10 kms once a week, and do 30 minute videos on my off days to get my other body parts moving. I hardly think that qualifies as lazy.
    I didn't say you were lazy. But you're citing a random number some bureaucrat pulled out of their butt as a goal for daily exercise.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options

The food pyramid made the US fat. The 30 minutes a day is making the US lazy.

30 minutes is a bare, bare minimum.

Actually, I don't think the food pyramid made Americas fat. It was highly processed, highly addictive processed food, fast food, and soda consumption. Those all skyrocketed since I was a kid.
  • dixiewhiskey
    Options

Thanks Mom :) ....