Yoga, anyone?

Options
I see a lot of people who do insanity p90, 30 day shred etc etc but are there many people who do yoga?
i try and hit the gym 5-6 times a week and do cardio, but have been thinking about incorporating yoga a few nights a week as well. any suggestions on a good dvd (for beginners!) or anything i should know?
also, is a yoga mat necessary or just an extra that's not really needed?

Replies

• Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    You'll definitely want a yoga mat for grip-- and probably a yoga block as well, when you're starting out.

I like to do yoga once a week as an adjunct to my regular workouts, though I'm no yoga nut. Wish I were. The most fit-looking people I know are astanga yoga nuts.
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    i looked on amazon and yoga mats vary from $10-$40.... is it better to pay for quality or will they all pretty much be the same?

**also would i want a "yoga for beginners" dvd or a "yoga for weightloss"?
    both are like $8 on amazon and both got good reviews so i'm not really sure which would be more beneficial?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Love yoga. Been great for balance, strength and really helped reduce my TMJ symptoms and helped reduce pain from rotator cuff surgeries. I started with Rodney Yee's yoga for beginners. He's got a couple, but the one i have has a morning and afternoon routine. I am starting to add some of his harder routine's. Believe me, you can be sore the next day, so start out easy. I do cardio, light weights and yoga. I really think that is one of the best ways to have a well balanced exercise routine. Also nice variation.
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Yoga is great. It will be a perfect addition to your exercise plan as it will help with flexibility particularly if you are doing alot of running. You may find that you have difficulty at first with flexibility because of the other workouts (tend to contract more than stretch the muscles) but it will come with time - be sure not to force anything.

Yoga is also great for building strength as well as flexibility - holding the poses will challenge many muscles, and when you are more advanced, there are some really challenging arm balances.

The yoga mat in most cases is necessary because you will practice barefoot - the "stickiness" of the mat will help with holding poses that may cause you to slip otherwise.

I prefer a slower "flow" as apposed to some of the more dynamic classes that are out there - especially if you are a beginner. There are quite a few good dvd's by GAIAM and Yoga Journal.

Definately give it a try! Have fun!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do yoga at home with dvds. I have a mat, it came with a Karen Voight set, but I never use it. I do my yoga on carpet, so no need for a mat.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Eh, I think all the mats are the same, personally. Mine cost about $14 bucks, IIRC, and I've never found it lacking. :)
  • MonkeeBob
    Options
    You could check out videos on you tube. I personally like Sadie Nardini, its a bit faster paced and really informative. She actually explains the poses for you. (I even have my boyfriend doing it, he sweats his butt off!) Start with this one its a beginner sequence- except the crow pose!

http://youtu.be/qlighuHDcP0

There is also a more informative beginners sequence here...

http://youtu.be/m0B8g-bj9Dw

Have fun, and the more you do it the more you will like it (I fell in love) :flowerforyou:
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do Yoga once a week and Pilates twice a week, all with certified instructors. I love the classes and the instructors; they are a great compliment to my strength training routine.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think a yoga mat is a must. I do think that spending the extra money on a good mat is important, but I will say I am not impressed with Lulu's newest mat. Just an fyi. A block is absolutely helpful too!

Personally, I would try to go to a class for awhile for some proper instruction about alignment and balance before getting a DVD, but that's up to you. I practice Vinyasa for the most part and do so at a studio, so I may be biased.
  • AliandTrev
    AliandTrev Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do yoga a few days a week. I just bought a Yoga set from Amazon it was $24 for the mat, bag, 2 yoga blocks and the strap. If you are going to get anything I would get the mat and a strap. I never used a strap until I started going to the yoga studio I am now and it really helps. I like going to actual classes better than DVD's I have bought a few my favorite one is the Biggest Loser Yoga I picked it up from amazon for right around $6. I have found that Bob explains what you need to be doing better than other yoga dvd's and as a beginner (which I still am) it makes a huge difference if your not trying to look at the tv constantly to see what your suppose to be doing.
  • Gettinyoung
    Options
    Love yoga. Been great for balance, strength and really helped reduce my TMJ symptoms and helped reduce pain from rotator cuff surgeries. I started with Rodney Yee's yoga for beginners. He's got a couple, but the one i have has a morning and afternoon routine. I am starting to add some of his harder routine's. Believe me, you can be sore the next day, so start out easy. I do cardio, light weights and yoga. I really think that is one of the best ways to have a well balanced exercise routine. Also nice variation.

Rodney Yee is great. I did a clinic with him at a Yoga Journal Conference. Do you have his DVD Yoga Burn ? Sounds worse than it is...it's actually a slow flow sequence where he moves in and out of each pose 3 times to help you get a deeper and deeper stretch. Try it!
  • candy423
    candy423 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I do yoga every Friday. I still want to get my daily burn but I know that my body needs rest. I workout 6 days a weeks. One rest day and one yoga day works perfectly for me. I do it at home on the Wii.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Oh Yes!! It's so strengthening for anything else you want to do. It relieves stress, makes you breathe deeper all day, gives great posture, increases circulation everywhere, and on and on.
    My perennial all-time classic forever favorite is Kathy Smith http://www.valorebooks.com/movies/kathy-smith-new-yoga-challenge-intermediate/V-27481918?utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=Froogle&utm_source=Froogle Okay that was a huge link.
    Anyway, it's gorgeous cinematography, and fabulous instruction.
    When you get really good, it is quite a workout to do an hour of yoga.
    I think yoga is better than an excellent massage....
  • aprude24
    Options
    Love yoga! Since the beginning of January, I do yoga about three times a week. I'm no expert (but I can finally hold a plank for longer than 5 seconds!) All I have is a yoga mat & a bottle of water lol! I would try something free, before investing in DVDs or blocks, etc.. Our local cable company has a health/fitness channel, which offers various yoga "classes, (which are taught by YMCA instructors). I also found a Denise Austin (Hot Body Yoga) video in my library's "clearance" rack. Really basic. Rodney Yee's, "Daily Yoga," offers an instructional commentary, which was useful (but slow). Now that I've been doing yoga on a regular basis, I absolutely will invest in blocks and toe socks. I love it! Good luck!:happy:
  • jojohnson090
    Options
    thank you so much for the replies! i eventually would like to go to yoga at a gym but i'm a little shy and would feel out of place.... i've finally conquered my fear of going to the gym and knowing that i don't look ridiculous so i'm sure i will get there! :)
  • gfedex
    gfedex Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Yoga fan here- I do four or five classes per week. I prefer more challenging power yoga/vinyasa classes, but I do a kripalu class that's a bit more relaxing.
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I do yoga every friday. At least twice a week I also do Body Flow, which is a mix of yoga, pilates and tai chi.
  • maru84
    maru84 Posts: 128
    Options
    Yesss, I HAVE to do yoga (hatha yoga- deep stretching, not strength training) or I'm so sore and grouchy. I use a block, strap and mat, and do a 20 minute video a few times a week. nothing fancy. I highly recommend the 5 Day Fit Yoga DVD, by Gaiam, and do day #2. It will change your life.
  • bronnyd
    bronnyd Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    thank you so much for the replies! i eventually would like to go to yoga at a gym but i'm a little shy and would feel out of place.... i've finally conquered my fear of going to the gym and knowing that i don't look ridiculous so i'm sure i will get there! :)

I worked at a yoga studio for years, and I can tell you 100%, honest to goodness no one is looking at you. People often came in very shy about doing their first class and would soon realize that everyone is too busy doing their own thing to notice what others in class look like. :smile:

Like some of the others have said, check out Gaiam DVDs. Rodney Yee is good for beginners. Also YouTube search for a couple of yoga DVD samples, maybe you will find someone who you like that way.
  • underwater77
    underwater77 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

it can be intimidating, but people in yoga (especially) are very focused on their own breathing and their own self to really notice anything. plus yogis tend to be super nice. :) i was scared to go - like SO scared and i had practiced off and on for years. then i sucked it up and went and get better each time!