Weighing Myself

Options
Alright. So as of lately, I've been having an issue with myself. Back when I first started my weight loss journey, I'd only weigh myself one day a week, and that was on Friday's. And then I'd track my weight loss that way. But for the past 2 months or so, I've been weighing myself every single morning and it's really put a damper on my spirits, because I'll lose and be happy about it. And then I'll weight myself the next morning and have gained and just be completely frustrated. I'm not sure why I started doing this. I think it's because I'm getting so close to my goal weight and I'm afraid that every little thing I eat is going to make me gain weight.
What can I do to get back to weighing myself only Once a week?

Replies

• ashleey1000
    ashleey1000 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have that problem well had that problem. There's really no real advice anyone can give u except to just weigh urself once a week. It may be hard but u gotta just fight the urge n have the will power to do so.
  • NeeneVa
    NeeneVa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I do it too. Know exactly what you mean, and I can fluctuate 5-6 pounds in a day. Very frustrating - I need to stop it too!
  • tomii13
    tomii13 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself a couple times a week and it was just a downer on me. Personally, I couldn't handle it. Then I made myself a promise to weigh myself once a week and I noticed how much less stressful I actually felt (no matter the result) So I just kept the promise to myself.

Sometimes it's tempting to get on it more than once a week. But I don't. Remember, we are bigger than *any* kind of temptation.
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    TBH, I feel better when I weigh myself daily. I just ignore the fluctuations but allow myself the opportunity to see every little loss. I only log losses so if I'm unhappy about my weight for the day I just look on my tracker and see what the trend has looked like over time. I feel like it helps me focus for the day.

If you really only want to weigh yourself weekly, probably the best idea is to put your scale away somewhere (out of sight, out of mind) and only allow yourself to get it out once a week.
  • SweetLillyM
    Options
    I have the same problem. I told myself Monday that I wasn't going to weigh myself until Friday morning but I've been on the scale the last 2 mornings! *argh*
  • JessicaPasieka
    JessicaPasieka Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I've gotten into the bad habit of stepping on the scale every morning. Then I sit and wonder what I did or ate that caused me to gain the weight. And it's very frustrating.
  • trickycoolj
    trickycoolj Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You could always put the numbers in a spreadsheet and make a line graph of it and add a trendline. Then you can feel comforted that its trending down and you could keep track of the upward flux causes. TOM? Sodium? Muscle recovery? Big dinner the night before? Dehydrated? Constipated? (Seriously) They all flux your weight so keeping track of what might impact you can help you realize what caused today's gain or tomorrow's loss.

Personally I know I weigh a good 2 lbs less weekend mornings because I sleep 12 hours instead of 6. That's a lot longer to digest yesterday's food and fast. I sweat in my sleep so I likely lose a bunch of water weight too. Monday morning is a bit of a bummer when it jumps back up but it's still less than the previous Monday.
  • JessicaPasieka
    Options
    I totally understand that too. And the constipation might have something to do with it too. I have maybe 2 or 3 bowel movements a week. Which I'm starting to think isn't normal. I don't feel constipated, but I feel like I should be going more than I do. So today, I picked up so Benefibre, because I don't think I'm getting enough fibre in my diet.
    I get about 6-7 hours a sleep per night if I'm lucky. And I probably don't drink as much water as I should.
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    Put the scale in an incovient location after your weigh in. It's not nearly as tempting to weigh yourself when you have to go get a step stool to get the scale off a high shelf in the closet. :)
  • mlbqd3
    mlbqd3 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Put the scale in an incovient location after your weigh in. It's not nearly as tempting to weigh yourself when you have to go get a step stool to get the scale off a high shelf in the closet. :)
    Totally Agree! I weigh on Wednesdays and then I have to put it away or I drive myself crazy!!
  • EricwStultz
    Options
    Miralax. Keeps you regular.
  • Sincere24
    Sincere24 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to be an everyday weigh-er as well and with not much to loose it was a bit frustrating. Even though I would hide my scale the night prior, I would still find myself on the scale despite my efforts lol.

So what I've done to mentally trick myself from weighing was drinking a glass of water/milk/tea before stepping into the bathroom lool. So I wouldn't be bothered with wanting to weigh myself knowing that the number would be off.

Best move I've done so far, and now only weigh on Saturdays
  • LPilat
    LPilat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't stress the little weight gains. Sometimes if you consume foods high in sodium, you can have a weight gain of 5lbs. It's not a big deal. That goes away. You can also gain 5 lbs and look it during your period. Again, your regular weight will return. You should focus on where you are today compared to when you started your diet, rather than comparing what your number is on any particular day. Personally, I weigh myself everyday and I know that I make healthy decisions and that's what matters. I do eat really bad sometimes but it's okay because I am never going back to what I was and I trust myself that I will not allow that to happen. Keep doing what you're doing right and weigh yourself as often as you wish. Just don't get upset about fluctuations.
  • eb12112
    Options
    TBH, I feel better when I weigh myself daily. I just ignore the fluctuations but allow myself the opportunity to see every little loss. I only log losses so if I'm unhappy about my weight for the day I just look on my tracker and see what the trend has looked like over time. I feel like it helps me focus for the day.

If you really only want to weigh yourself weekly, probably the best idea is to put your scale away somewhere (out of sight, out of mind) and only allow yourself to get it out once a week.

same here! i like to know from day to day even if it goes up so i'm not super surprised from week to week and i can change things more quickly if needed!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have trust issues with scales - is it right? Is it calibrated? Why do 5 scales tell me 5 different numbers?

So I use my drs scale...when I'm in for an appt, I weigh. And THAT'S it. I use a tape measure and how my clothes fit to tell me I'm moving in the right direction.

Also, no matter how much I work out or how little I eat, I don't lose weight. I'm some weird freak of nature. And it's depressing. So I had to break up with my scale. :-)
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Weigh yourself, drink a huge glass of water, and then immediately weigh yourself again. Your weight is supposed to fluctuate day-to-day.
  • JessicaPasieka
    Options
    Weigh yourself, drink a huge glass of water, and then immediately weigh yourself again. Your weight is supposed to fluctuate day-to-day.

Sorry, I'm not sure if I understand. What is the purpose of that?
  • Lexi507
    Lexi507 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I'd consider getting the Fitbit Aria or the Withings scales. They automatically upload your weight and sync to MFP. That way you can weigh yourself and not have to look at the scale - just step on, count to 20 and step off. The weight will be sitting online waiting for you for when you are ready to look at it. There's a site (https://trendweight.com/) that you can sync that will do a moving average of your weight.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I think she was trying to say your daily weight is very dependent on how much water you have drank and how much food you actually have in your stomach and digestive system. I weight myself 2x a day, once before bed after I get undressed and go to the bathroom and once after i wake up and use the bathroom but I usually only pay attention to the morning amount. I also only log my weight once a week even though I check it every day.
  • Yetibite
    Yetibite Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I put my scale away! I have it on a high shelf in my bedroom closet. So to weigh myself I have to get the chair from the office to reach it then take it to the bathroom. It is a task to get it down so I am not as tempted to use it daily. I weigh myself every week. Hope this helps you.