Turning blue during a hard workout?

Options
After doing 30 min on the eliptical tonight my nails were blue and kind of tingly. Just curious what this is, google was not any help. I definitely wasn't cold, I was pouring sweat and red faced. I still went hard for another 10 mins and wasn't overly exhausted. Anyone have this happen and/or can shed some light? Id appreciate it.

Replies

• SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that before. How is your circulation? I know that poor circulation can cause our skin/nails to turn blue. I'm not saying that is the answer, but it is something to think about.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of that before. How is your circulation? I know that poor circulation can cause our skin/nails to turn blue. I'm not saying that is the answer, but it is something to think about.

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like Raynaud's Syndrome.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    blue nails...bhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You are a nurse according to your profile...I would ask the doctors you work with.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Now you've made my mind go into the gutter.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Did you check your MM's?
  • ndj1979
    Options

Now you've made my mind go into the gutter.

LOL sorry could not resist...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    seriously though I have never heard of this ...like Sara said check with a dr that you work with ...
  • cjh022
    cjh022 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I would guess circulation too, but I'm not the expert. I always move my hands/ wiggle my fingers when I'm on the treadmill/elliptical or mine get tingly too; I've always had crappy circulation :laugh:
  • WhitR86
    WhitR86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Did you check your MM's?

not sure what you are referring too, MMs?

As a nurse we are good at assessment and relaying that to physicians who diagnose. Based on expecience I'm wondering if I'm anemic maybe. But like people have said, I can definitely bring it up to someone at the hospital next time I work.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor.....
  • WhitR86
    WhitR86 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It is part of a basic ASSESSMENT. Vital signs are actual measurements.
  • curejenn
    curejenn Posts: 70 Member
    Options

That's what I was thinking. Sounds like Raynaud's Syndrome.

Raynaud's was my first thought as well. My mom has it. Her fingertips and toes are always blueish.
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'd be really careful here until you get checked out. Blue nails like this when exercising makes me think low blood O2, though there could be other causes. It could be nothing, or could be as serious as a previously undetected heart condition. Are you short of breath at the same time?
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Also a good sign of a good healthcare provider to ask medical advice over the internet. Cause obviously, random internet strangers will diagnose you. My point is that as a nurse, you should know what cyanosis means and the potential implications. And not trust the opinions of random internet strangers. But whatever, guess that makes me a jerk.

It says this at the bottom for a reason:

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    It is part of a basic ASSESSMENT. Vital signs are actual measurements. Heres an abbreviation I use for rude people. FU.

No need to be rude to anyone here. You are the one posting on a Fitness forum about something you should see a doctor about. I would avoid doing any exercise until you have a doctor check you out.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    No offense but I don't think she was being rude. Blue fingertips isn't really a mystery....it should be basic knowledge to a nurse. Especially a RN. Hell most of the RN's I worked with gave the doctors advice.
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    This is a simple question that is being asked. She isn't looking for a diagnosis of what is going on...just wants to see if anyone else has experienced these symptoms. It is blatantly obvious that no one should fully trust any answer on these forums, but it is not a place to argue who has more credentials as a nurse than the other. I mean seriously people can't we all just get along?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Also a good sign of a good healthcare provider to ask medical advice over the internet. Cause obviously, random internet strangers will diagnose you. My point is that as a nurse, you should know what cyanosis means and the potential implications. And not trust the opinions of random internet strangers. But whatever, guess that makes me a jerk.

It says this at the bottom for a reason:

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

^This. And Cait - I don't think you are a jerk at all, nor anyone that suggested her checking with a doctor or the ones she works with.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    This is a simple question that is being asked. She isn't looking for a diagnosis of what is going on...just wants to see if anyone else has experienced these symptoms. It is blatantly obvious that no one should fully trust any answer on these forums, but it is not a place to argue who has more credentials as a nurse than the other. I mean seriously people can't we all just get along?

welcome to the internet. It's nice to meet you.