KNEE SUPPORT needed!

Options
Hello all,

I'm looking for people who are in a situation similar to my own. I had my first knee surgery at the age of 17 (ACL and miniscus) and my second knee surgery in August of 2012 (ACL, MPFL and miniscus). As a result I need to be concious of my knee at all times.

I'm looking for people who are experiencing the same issues getting back in shape and finding "knee friendly" exercises and sports to get into. I used to enjoy playing soccer, going snowboarding and running. Since my second surgery I have been advised against soccer and running. I'm finding it tough to be motivated to do things like cycling but am getting worried about the long term affect of going against my doctors wishes.

I need KNEE SUPPORT!
if you're interested then shoot me a request.

Replies

• Janelle31
    Janelle31 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I understand the difficulty you're having. My first major knee injury happened when I was 9 and they got progressively worse with repeated patellar dislocations. I finally had surgery 5 years ago which was partially successful in that my knee is more stable. The unsuccessful part is that the tendons etc were redone in a tight enough position that I now have arthritis from the binding and rubbing in the joint. I can't even ride a bike anymore because it aggravates the problem. Unfortunately most exercises and sports are not kind to knees.

I've been to a physiotherapist and got some exercises to help strenthen and stretch the muscles around my knee, but there's no guarantee that it will be enough. I understand your concerns about long term affects. Added to all this, I have a job that keeps me on my feet for most of the day. I have tried some of the Biggest Loser work outs and they're pretty good, but I still have to modify or skip some of the activities. And it's not the same as getting out there and DOING. Basically for me, the "safest" exercises are walking and swimming.

Good luck.
  • mdepko
    mdepko Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I had a torn meniscus removed last year, and when the doctor did the surgery, he said that it was worse than expected and I had very little cartilage left and would definitely be looking at a replacement in a couple years. Knee still hurts, but after a year, amongst other things, I figured that the weight I'm carrying around isn't helping. So to the exercises. I've been using the Wii Fit Plus, with all the options available, I can pick and choose and try things to see how the knee is going to hold up. So far so good. It can get to be a little painful sometimes, but it's working.