Running - Treadmill or Outdoors?

Options
I love running outdoors, but sometimes it's just impossible where I live with the traffic, the heat, etc. I've read that running outside will actually give you a better workout, but with a treadmill you can be more exact about your pace, calories. Which do you all prefer, treadmill or road?

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I prefer running outside because I find it to be more interesting than running on a treadmill. However, with the sudden onslaught of actual summer weather here in Minnesota (90 degrees plus lots of humidity) I'm starting to remember why treadmills can be nice (not to mention all the bitter cold and ice we get in the winter).

Running outside is usually perceived as harder than running on a treadmill. I've heard different reasons for this (wind resistance, uneven surfaces, etc.) Most of the advice I've read says that the best way to simulate an outdoor pace on a treadmill is to use an incline of 1-2%.
  • ashehoff
    ashehoff Posts: 14
    Options
    I don't live in the safest neighborhood, and I like to run late at night- so since I've lived in this area I prefer the treadmill. I'll be moving back to my hometown soon (dirt roads and open fields for miles :happy: ), so I'm thinking I will revisit outdoor running very soon!
  • chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    Outdoors. I hate treadmills. Running and not actually going anywhere drives me insane.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I do both. The last couple times I ran, I did intervals outside and sometimes it's easier, sometimes it's harder. It really depends on my course. If it's windy, I try to run with the wind or my throat gets really dry (even while drinking a lot of water). I always bundle up if it's chilly 'cause you can always shed layers (think wrapping your jacket around your waist and tying '90s style!). I like doing short interval runs on the treadmill (think 15 minutes) and longer (30 minutes) outside. Yes, you can track your pace on a treadmill but I use a pedometer so can kind of keep track of that too. I tend to burn more calories outside because I push myself harder. On the treadmill, I have a set pace I go for when I run, but outside, I just go as hard as I want...

Ultimately, it's up to you. Try out both a couple times and see what you like better. You can always alternate! Be sure you have GOOD running shoes (as in, you know what kind of pronator are and have shoes with the right amount of cushion and support), and definitely take a break if you get shin splints.
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I dont know what's 'better', but my treadmill allows for you to run 'programs' - where the incline and speed will shift throughout the course, simulating a more realistic terrain. So that's nice when the weather's less than desirable or when you can't get to a walk/run during ideal hours.

I figure, either one is good :)
  • FrankyOsage
    FrankyOsage Posts: 275
    Options
    Outside! I live in Florida (trust me, I know summer weather) but early jogs are still reasonably doable (80degs and 100% humidity at 6am beats heat indexes in the triples with 10+UV in the afternoon). I love running trails through our woods out here (too much traffic near my house). Its interesting and I feel that I work a lot of the "stabilizer" muscles including strengthening my ankles that I wasn't working on a treadmill, even with incline programs.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I like to run on my elliptical machine. Running on concrete is very bad for knees, back and ankles. I also run every day and I like the air conditioning. I think the heat in the summer would make my running less productive, especially the humidity.
  • Ninaad
    Ninaad Posts: 28
    Options
    I like running on a track. Running outside is better for your lungs because of the fresh air, plus the track is better for your joints, vs runnning on concrete. Plus, a track allows you to note how far you have run. I hate running on a treadmill, but I do anyways because of its convenience. You can still get a great workout on a treadmill, so I wouldnt worry too much if you have to run on one.
  • xDeannaGarciax
    Options
    I prefer to run outside because like stated above, I hate running/walking and not going anywhere. But in my case I don't really have a choice with my kids and my hubby's work schedule. When I have the chance I'll sneak out for a quick 30min run/power walk. I run on my treadmill for 2.5-5 miles a day whcih never takes me anymore then an hour (if I'm going for 5) and that I think is because I can set my setting'so what I like and I just push-on through, unlike being outside, which can be very less productive during the heat and certainly unmotivating when your pouring sweat after 5min. Some things I've noticed that make the time go by faster is listening to my favorite songs and going as hard as I can for 8 of them before looking at how long I've walked (I actually have that part covered) after 8 songs I'll take a peak and am at anywhere between 2 and 2.5 miles, that's very motivating and the time goes by quicker. I also have put my treadmill in my garage and open it up so I get the breeze and don't feel all crammed up inside. I'm not sure which is better for you but I can tell you this, power walking between 3.5-5.5 on a treadmill or outdoors is much better for you then running in many different ways, you burn more calories and it's much easier on the joints. Have you tried the couch to 5k? I really like the program and it builds your stamina very quickly. There's a few different threads on this site you can join if you'd like to. Makes walking or joggin alot more interesting. :)
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    I'm a roadrunner :happy: I just love the feeling of the wind in my face, the sound of my feet hitting the road. It feels natural. I don't have anything against treadmills, I just love to run outside, especially when I can get to the beach!
  • jolene1
    jolene1 Posts: 28
    Options
    i'm a road runner myself too....I always feel like i'm about to fall off those darn treadmills...LOL
  • ashehoff
    ashehoff Posts: 14
    Options
    When I run on a treadmill I always imagine I'm running on the track from when I was in high school. When I only have .06 to go I just imagine that 100meter stretch to the finish line!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I use my treadmill only as a last resort. I hate it.
  • 30togomoveit
    30togomoveit Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    When I do run, I do a run/walk routine.

I would love to be able to run outside but i find it more difficult. I have read that it's a better workout.

I have read the treadmill "powers" you along. It makes sense to me.

Right now I can't run b/c of pain in my knee but hopefully once I start losing again, it will subside. Maybe I will try outside again. :indifferent: