Concerned about my waist size

Options
2»

Replies

• sofielein
    sofielein Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    It is not the birth that widens that area but the pregnancy itself - as it takes 9 months to prepare for birth. The fact that you did not give vaginal birth does not matter because the hip-waist widening already happened by that time the babies were born.

Looking at your pic your waist is much smaller than your hips so you do have the womanly feature, nothing to worry to about. But your upper body looks totally emaciated - sorry to think this but the first thing that comes to mind looking at you is "is she starving herself"?

Now you want to be skinny, right, but you don't actually want people to think that dieting and skinniness is all you think about and that "she must have an eating disorder" right? That is not a good image. Gain 5 lbs and leave the whole measuring thing.
  • PDXContessa
    PDXContessa Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I completed my weight loss goal back in December and currently weigh ~115-116 lbs (I'm 5'5" and 42 years old). I managed the weight loss by a combination of eating healthy, reducing calories, and exercise, so I believe that I did it the proper way. My measurements all dropped a good bit, but my waist is still out of proportion, and even though I continue to work out, it isn't shrinking. I'm not sure why this is and what, if anything, can be done about it.

I don't know my exact starting measurements, but I think they were in relative proportion - probably something like 44, 35, 45. They are now 34, 28.5, 34. I have had two children and they were both via C-section, so I expected having trouble toning my abdomen, but I didn't think it would impact my waist, so I don't know if that's a factor or not. I know when I was in my 20's, I was much more in proportion with a waist measurement that was probably 24-25, so is this perhaps age related? My exercise throughout weight loss was cardio; I hadn't heard about the emphasis on weight training and have only recently gotten going with it (probably a month ago). Will lifting address the area at all?

First off - congratulations on your weight loss. Well done. Next - I would agree with the other person who mentioned that you look slightly underweight. Definitely do not lose any more weight.

As far as your waist to hip ratio, where are you getting the idea that a 28.5 inch waist is too big? If your measurements are 34 - 28.5 - 34, then you have a nice hourglass shape. I don't think this is due to aging. It may be more related to genetics. There's nothing wrong with adding in some strength training, but I don't think you should be stressing about trying to make your waist smaller.

You look GREAT!
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I've lost an inch and a half in my waist doing bar exercises. Maybe doing some toning? I like Bar Method Change Your Body as a good beginner workout.
  • dontcallmecass
    Options
    I don't think your waist is too big...

My stats are 32 - 28 - 35, so similar to you. I am 5'0 and barely 100 pounds. Some people are just built differently...I will never have a small waist because that's just not how I am built.

I think people get hung up on waist lines because of sizing charts. By a size chart I should wear a 6/8 pants but I'm only 98 pounds so I wear a 1/2. I definitely do not think you need to lose any weight. You are very slim as is.