30 DAY SHRED

Options
Hi everyone

I am just about to embark on the 30 day shred, could anyone tell me how to count the calories lost, would you count it as circuit training??

I would appreciate any advice relating to completing THE SHRED !!!!

Thanks guys:flowerforyou:

Bee xx

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Its circuit training. I don't know if mfp has levels of intensity that you can choose, but try looking for them. Circuit training is fantastic exercise. Enjoy!
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of trying this as well. Does anyone know if it's rough on the knees? My knees are kind of torn up from too much high impact stuff over the years. :)

Good luck, Bee - be sure to share yor progress with it!
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I'm on Level 3 of the 30 Day Shred right now and definitely still a beginner in that level. I really try to push myself throughout the entire videos and use my Polar F6 Heart Rate Monitor. Throughout all the levels, and the about 25 days so far with the video, I have consistently been burning an average of 250 calories for the full 27 minutes (that's including warm up and cool down) of the video for each level. I'm 21 years old, 5'8'', and 151 pounds if that helps at all for comparison also. Hopefully that helps :)
  • SilverRoxy
    SilverRoxy Posts: 64
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to admit that after one work out with 30-day shred I was SUPER sore. I can't see myself doing this every day....any suggestions?
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    There is a decent amount of jumping in the Shred. You do jumping jacks, jumping rope (with no rope), and butt-kicks. There's also lunging to the front and side. I can see how it could be pretty high-impact on one's knees. I'm planning to start Level 2 today... I'm kinda scared... lol. I also just ordered a Poloar F6 HRM last week and I'm really hoping it comes in the mail today. I've just been logging the Shred as 27 minutes of circuit training. I burn 299 calories for the workout according to that.

@SilverRoxy: Everyone is sore after Day 1... Jillian gives you a real workout! The best thing to do is just do it again today. Working out actually helps sore muscles, and after 2 or 3 days, it goes away. I'm not sore after doing it at all, and I never really was from Day 1. EA Sports Active for the Wii was a good way to prepare myself.
  • cbullock115
    cbullock115 Posts: 110
    Options
    I always count it as circuit training and it burns about 257 calories for me. I think that is a little low considering how much I sweat during the workout! It is a little rough on your knees but you may be okay if you just ice them down afterwards or something. It's an intense workout and the day after you do it for the first time you will be incredibly sore and the third day after can sometimes be worse. Even though you will be sore, don't stop, it gets better and easier to do. I am on level 2 right now and it's a hard one but I am pushing through...Hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • Clew
    Clew Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    There is a decent amount of jumping in the Shred. You do jumping jacks, jumping rope (with no rope), and butt-kicks. There's also lunging to the front and side. I can see how it could be pretty high-impact on one's knees. I'm planning to start Level 2 today... I'm kinda scared... lol. I also just ordered a Poloar F6 HRM last week and I'm really hoping it comes in the mail today. I've just been logging the Shred as 27 minutes of circuit training. I burn 299 calories for the workout according to that.

Thanks for the input, lady! Maybe I can alter my moves a bit to take it easy on the old knees while still getting the benefits. Good to know what to expect. :wink:
  • nicolina823
    nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have a bad right knee and a bad left ankle. I LOVE the Shred. Dont be scared. Just expect that you may need a rest day or two with the changes.

I had to take 4 rest days total so far from May 4th. The first 2 I had calf pain because I'm not used to jumping a lot. The second 2 were when I decided to do Level 1 and Level 2 the same day. I do this once a week now. I'm starting Level 3 tomorrow and expect a rest day.
  • IbettR
    IbettR Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear all this. I'm looking forward to buying the 30 day Shred. Please keep us posted on your progress. :smile:
  • beesingh
    beesingh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone

I am just about to embark on the 30 day shred, could anyone tell me how to count the calories lost, would you count it as circuit training??

I would appreciate any advice relating to completing THE SHRED !!!!

Thanks guys:flowerforyou:

Bee xx
  • ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to admit that after one work out with 30-day shred I was SUPER sore. I can't see myself doing this every day....any suggestions?
    Just keep doing it. The first day after I did it, I was so sore I was walking like an old lady. Every workout after that got better and better. Your body adjusts to what you're doing. It will get better.
  • beesingh
    beesingh Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks soooo much everyone, you guys are sooo helpful and lovely!

Will keep you all posted on the progress, anyone who would like to be friends just read my profile and if you like me - add me!!

Thanks again

Beexx
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Thanks for the input, lady! Maybe I can alter my moves a bit to take it easy on the old knees while still getting the benefits. Good to know what to expect. :wink:

I have issues with my left knee. I did just alter some moves. They show some lower impact moves for some of the moves, I followed them. For the lunges, I just went as far as i could and didn't push it. If I couldn't do whatever move at all, I just replaced it with something that worked those same areas while she did the other thing. You can do it.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I can't believe the change in my body in doing the 30 Day Shred. It's fantastic and you do burn up to 260 cals in only 20 minutes! It's fantastic!
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just finished the 30 day shred - I would log it as circuit training for 25 minutes - I like to count the warm up because you are getting your heart rate up, but I don't usually count the cool down because your heart rate is returning to resting. I loved the shred - I'm really surprised I made it through all three levels - the first day I thought I was going to die - I had to keep stopping - but I kept up with it - I have lost 9 lbs and a lot of inches I should probably measure soon since I am finished so I know the total inches lost - anyway I decided yesterday to go back to level one for a work out since I wasn't feeling that great and I was so surprised at how easy level 1 was after completing all three levels - thats proof for me that it works. I feel so strong now!!!

Good Luck to all of you starters - keep it up you can do the whole program and you will get awesome results I know it!!!!!!
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

I could hardly walk for a whole week after the first time I did it. Every time since, I've done extra calf stretches afterwards b/c she just doesn't stretch them enough in the DVD.
  • Lshizz
    Lshizz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Jillian is tough, but I freaking love her! After two levels so far in the shred, I have gone from a size 12 to a 10, and lost 11.5 inches total. I'm amazed that my body changed this much and there is still more to come! I say go for it!
  • ShesaRenegade
    Options
    I did day 1 of the shred yesterday. My soreness is really in my shoulders. I guess it's the push-ups. I'm going to do day 2 later.