Foods to FILL you up? (help me stop binging!)

Options
Okay, MFPers, the past 2.5 weeks I have run into a bit of a problem - I can't STOP eating!

I've been on here for a year and have lost most of the weight I want to (need to drop another 10ish lbs. to be at GW). I have been stuck at 155ish for over 3 months. I try to NET 1500 (but I find I often go a little over).

Lately, though, I have been eating SO FREAKING MUCH. All I can figure that has changed is that I added a day of biking to my workout schedule and 1 day of hot yoga (instead of straight running 4 days a week, I'm trying to run 2-3, bike 1, yoga 1). I'm burning roughly the same calories as before (and eating them back), so I don't know why i am suddenly a bottomless pit (and no, I am not pregnant).

So my question is - what do you eat, especially at the end of the day, that keeps you from going back for more? I've tried plain Greek yogurt. Kept eating. Tried drinking tea. Still want to eat!

What food really fills you up?

Also, never buy cinnamon bread. It's taking every bit of my willpower to not devour the whole loaf. :)

Replies

• theonlysheesha
    theonlysheesha Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Protein It makes you stay fuller longer
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    what is your meal frequency/timing like..six meals a day ..three meals, etc..?
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    eat a little bit of everything every food group at every meal makes me not as hungry
  • silversociety
    silversociety Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Not a food per sae, but drink lots and lots of water. I find if I'm thirsty and not drinking water I tend to eat and/or drink way more calories...
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt never fills me up. I find fiber filled foods do. apples with some pb ( the real deal about a tbs) or a pear and one ounce of cheese, Vtatops have 9 grams of pure chocolate haven fiber and make a filling treat with some berries. baked sweet potato with some protein keeps me good for hours, and my number one......Eggs, or egg white omelettes and a whole grain. I eat breakfast at 6am and lunch at 2pm. It keeps me great until then. I eat at least 500 calories at beakfast and it seems to help so much later in the day. Nuts satisfy me too 43 pistachios is 130 calories
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm voting for protein.

When I binge it doesn't matter if my stomach is about to explode I still can't stop eating and worse if I puke because I eat too much I still want to eat afterwards maybe I have a disorder lol
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    oh and looked at ur diary breakfast is all carbs, sets your blood sugar up fot a huge crash IE:Hunger. Add some egg and cheese, turkey sausage or someting. Cut some of the processed sugar for fruit. I am trying to so the same/
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Yeah I'm voting for protein.

When I binge it doesn't matter if my stomach is about to explode I still can't stop eating and worse if I puke because I eat too much I still want to eat afterwards maybe I have a disorder lol

ummm you might want to see a DR about that one..seriously...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    you might want to try and IF /lean gains protocol like 16/8 where you fast for 16 hours and then have an 8 hour eating window...

sample day might be..

last meal night before at 8pm
    skip breakfast
    first meal at 12pm (20% of calls)
    work out
    then have largest meal post work out
    then have smaller fill in meal for calls/macros at 8pm...

www.leangains.com

I have been doing this for about 5 months and have lost 3% body fat...
  • ccruns920
    ccruns920 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I almost always have a protein bar and coffee for breakfast (I rotate the brand every two weeks or so). Today was an anomaly because I need to use up the english muffins before they get stale:). I probably eat about 5 small "meals" a day. I like the suggestions so far! I do love vitatops, I'll remember to pick some more up. It sounds like I need to find more protein snacks to spread throughout the day, for sure.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly primal so I'd try to eat more healthy fats & protein & cut down the carbs & sugar, especially in the morning. Fat & protein keep us full longer & make us feel satiated. Nothing against protein bars but many can be glorified candy bars.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I usually start with making sure that I have been drinking enough water. Usually forcing myself to drink a glass a water before I hunt for something to eat in between meals helps a lot from going nuts. You may be getting inconsistent blood sugar levels, avoid carb and sugar snacks, even really sweet fruits. Are you snacking on a bunch of low fat snacks or meals? Don't be afraid of eating fat, eggs, avacado, almonds, etc will actually satiate you for a long time. You basically have 3 sources of energy, carbs, protein, or fat. Carbs effect your blood sugar which in turn increases insulin to lower and tells your body to each more.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Whats going on in your life? What changes? Negativity or positivity, med, hormones, stress, sadness, boredom, anger, unresolved issues? Sometimes writing it down helps me.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    2 Tbsp of Peanut Butter is great for satisfying hunger. On a rice cake also helps. What time of day do you workout? If you are working out at the end of the day, you should load up on protein. Adding fiber (vegetables) will help. I've been spreading peanut butter on celery for a snack or try eating Skinny Pop Popcorn (if you have room).
  • stellabobella79
    stellabobella79 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I eat a can of tuna, squeeze of lemon and kosher salt. I heat it up and pretend I'm eating fish and chips. :)
  • Joshacham
    Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Protein is the biggest thing I use. Whenever I make scrambled eggs, I'll throw in an ounce of ham or turkey sausage to fire up with it. Keeps me full until lunch. Lately, though, for breakfast I've been eating this oatmeal pancake concoction that's two scoops of ok but it keeps me full until well after lunch. That's if I don't drink coffee. Coffee makes me hungry quickly.
  • doubleduofa
    doubleduofa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I would up your calories to maintenance levels for awhile. I find that the closer I get to goal, the slower I have to go. It is frustrating to have to put weight loss on hold, but it is also frustrating to be HUNGRY, but feel bad about eating more. I'd take the pressure off and up your calories by 500 or so for now.

To answer your question - foods that fill me up:

- Coffee w. almond milk and a Trio bar
    - Nuts (I'm hooked on cinnamon almonds now) usually with an apple
    - Salad (lots of fiber). Eat it slow (put down fork between bites) and you can make it a meal - add some good things like eggs, chicken, cheese and nuts/seeds/dried fruit
    - Add veggies to whatever you can - soups, sauces, green smoothies, etc.