When should I start weightlifting?

Options
I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and working on figuring out my post baby fitness goals (and ultimately deciding what equipment to get for our home gym area). Obviously I'm not going to start weightlifting till after I give birth at the earliest, but should I wait until I get down closer to my goal weight, start right away, ect? I think I'll be around 235 after I give birth and my goal weight at 5'9 is 160. Also if I should start doing weightlifting or resistance training right away what would be the best machine at home to have or are simple weights the best? I know my husband would also like to bulk up so we could take care of 2 birds with 1 stone.

Replies

• SnivyToast
    SnivyToast Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am currently 33 weeks pregnant and working on figuring out my post baby fitness goals (and ultimately deciding what equipment to get for our home gym area). Obviously I'm not going to start weightlifting till after I give birth at the earliest, but should I wait until I get down closer to my goal weight, start right away, ect? I think I'll be around 235 after I give birth and my goal weight at 5'9 is 160. Also if I should start doing weightlifting or resistance training right away what would be the best machine at home to have or are simple weights the best? I know my husband would also like to bulk up so we could take care of 2 birds with 1 stone.
    If you feel up to it, start as soon as possible. The muscle helps to eat up calories and the progress numbers on lifts are really motivating. The general consensus is that free weights are better for you.

Look into a program like Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5, both are a good basic weightlifting program.
  • RainbootsToBikinis
    RainbootsToBikinis Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    6 weeks after giving birth is when most DR's will clear you for exercise :) with your doctors permission start weight lifting right away! If you are only going to be working out at home a good set up dumbells and barbells are better than a machine :)
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    As soon as your doctor says it's OK.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    As soon as your doctor says it's OK.

Yes
    babydumbbells_zps1772c5e3.jpg
  • akb2006
    akb2006 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I am sorry I guess I wasn't clear, know I need to wait to exercise until the dr gives me the clear. (and heck with 3 kids 5 and under I'm sure I wont have the energy for a while) But I am was just referring to the number on the scale. Should I bulk up with weights at 235 or do cardio until I get closer to 180's and then start toning? Everything I used to know was all cardio, cardio, cardio, women don't lift but I know thats not true! ;) I'll definitely look into the books!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting is just as good (some say better) for weight loss as cardio. Start as soon as doc says its ok. It has tons of benefits and will help you keep your muscle as you lose weight (you want to lose fat not muscle :smile: )
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    Also, you won't "bulk up", you'd have to eat above your maintenance to build muscle, so don't worry about that.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    No, you were very clear. Apparently we weren't. The answer to when you should start strength training is *as soon as your doctor says it's okay*.

You'll be eating in a deficit, not bulking up.