FISH TACO RECIPES

Options
I AM LOOKING FOR A LOW FAT/LOW CARB FISH TACO RECIPES....THANKS!!!

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most recipe-oriented person. I tend to just toss a lot of things together and then forget to write them down, but here is basically what I do:

I like to grill or pan fry (with very minimal oil) tilapia that I have rubbed with a Mexican-style spice blend (chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, a hint of cayenne pepper).

I break that up and put it in warmed corn tortillas. I typically top that with some shredded cabbage (that I have tossed with a bit of lime juice, salt and pepper), chopped tomato and/or some salsa and maybe some chopped avocado. I serve with a side of black beans.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is low carb, but here is what I do:

tilapia fillets
    egg whites
    corn meal seasoned with salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder
    oil for frying (I use a non-stick pan and a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil)

Place the tilapia in the egg wash and then place in the cornmeal. Coat and shake off the excess cornmeal. Place in oil, cook until done. I also made a yummy dip to go on them that I thought totally made the dish: a little greek yogurt mixed with roasted green chiles. Yum!
  • metalpalace
    metalpalace Posts: 576
    Options
    oh how I LOVE good fish tacos. I love this thread
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I want to keep an eye on this thread. I've been so wanting to try fish tacos.
  • loritas
    loritas Posts: 51
    Options
    I love fish tacos too. Here's how I make mine.

Bake 1 pound of talaphia (lightly salted and peppered) for about 15 minutes at 350 degrees.

Once that is done, I flake it apart.

In a skillet, I heat up some EVOO and toss in some green onions and cilantro and let that simmer. I add the flaked fish and cook for a few more min. Then I add cayenne pepper, cumin, black pepper and garlic salt to my liking.

To serve, just spoon in whole wheat tortillas, add a dash of salsa verde and sprinkle on some low-fat feta cheese. I also will add some fresh cilantro, tomatoes and onions on top too.

Very delish!
  • Bon180
    Bon180 Posts: 26
    Options
    Oriental fish taco's
    Funny I made them last night.....
    This was the fist time I made them and they were VERY non traditional. I had some mixed veggie stir fry that I had left over from the night before...
    As far as the fish preparation....YUM!!!
    Pat dry the Talapia and lightly coat it in corn starch (season corn starch with choice of spices, I used California garlic salt). Fry it in a bit of EVOO until there is a golden color (fish is cooked through). let it rest on a wire rack to drain or pat to remove excess oil.
    I used flour tortillas placed fish in center, topped with stir fry and enjoyed.

I also kinda make things out of what I have...so I'm sure I will have another version of this before long :wink:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most recipe-oriented person. I tend to just toss a lot of things together and then forget to write them down, but here is basically what I do:

I like to grill or pan fry (with very minimal oil) tilapia that I have rubbed with a Mexican-style spice blend (chili powder, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, a hint of cayenne pepper).

I break that up and put it in warmed corn tortillas. I typically top that with some shredded cabbage (that I have tossed with a bit of lime juice, salt and pepper), chopped tomato and/or some salsa and maybe some chopped avocado. I serve with a side of black beans.

That sounds.... Amazing. Never tried fish tacos, but I love fish (especially tilapia) so why not try it? Maybe I'll make it tonight. Thanks!
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Totally saving for later - thanks!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump for later... thanks
  • wantmycurvesback
    Options
    FROM HUNGRY-GIRL.com

Grilled Go Fish! Soft Tacos

PER SERVING (2 tacos, 1/2 of recipe): 273 calories, 5.75g fat, 330mg sodium, 30g carbs, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 27g protein -- POINTS® value 5*

We LOVE these things and DEFINITELY recommend going for the optional fruit salsa topping. Mmmmm!

Ingredients:

For Tacos
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    Two 4-oz. raw tilapia fillets (or other flaky white fish)
    Four 6-inch corn tortillas
    1 cup shredded cabbage or dry coleslaw mix
    1/4 cup chopped tomato

For Avocado Cream
    2 tbsp. mashed avocado
    2 tbsp. fat-free sour cream
    1/2 tsp. lime juice
    Dash garlic powder, or more to taste
    Dash chili powder, or more to taste
    Dash salt, or more to taste

Optional topping: fruity salsa

Directions:
    Combine lime juice and spices for the tacos in a large bowl, and mix well. Add fillets and evenly cover both sides of each with seasoned lime juice. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for avocado cream in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Spray a grill or grill pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat. Grill fish for 5 minutes, and then very carefully flip. Grill for 3 more minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside.

Heat tortillas on the grill or grill pan until warm and just slightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Plate and spread evenly with avocado cream. Break fish into pieces and evenly divide among tortillas. Top with cabbage, tomatoes and, if you like, some fruity salsa. Fold and enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS
  • Garcialynne
    Options
    bump
  • Michellerw1
    Michellerw1 Posts: 367
    Options
    I am SO bad at recipes, because I usually take them and alter them until I get to my preferred yumminess level.

Here is what I do for mine!

For the fish
    I mix together chipotle or cayenne pepper, garlic powder, cumin, cajun spice and rub onto 1-inch pieces of tilapia, halibut, or red snapper.

Heat a pan until it is SMOKING hot, and add a small amount of olive or coconut oil. Seer the fish on each side for about two minutes to blacken.

For salsa
    Add 1 cup orange juice, 2 cloves garlic, and 1/4 cup olive oil to blender. Heat 8-10 dried poblano or whatever kind of chiles in a dry pan for about a minute on each side. Remove seeds, tear into pieces, and add to blender. Add salt and pepper, and purree until fairly smooth. Add mixture to a sautee pan and cook until dark red and thickened.

For sour cream:
    Mix the juice of 1 lime, chopped cilantro, and the zest of 1 lime to about a half cup of sour cream (i use full fat but any works)

I top them with cabbage (so much better than lettuce on tacos), tomato, and queso fresco, all on corn tortillas heated in the oven.

LOL sorry I don't have a recipe OR nutritional facts. :)
  • sunlover67
    sunlover67 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump:flowerforyou:
  • Dedicated
    Dedicated Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    This is one of my favorite meals EVER

Fiery Fish Tacos

Ingredients

* 1 cup corn
    * 1/2 cup diced red onion
    * 1 cup peeled, chopped jicama
    * 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    * 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
    * 1 lime, zested and juiced
    * 2 tablespoons sour cream
    * 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    * 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons salt
    * 6 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 12 corn tortillas, warmed

Directions

1. Preheat grill for high heat.
    2. In a medium bowl, mix together corn, red onion, jicama, red bell pepper, and cilantro. Stir in lime juice and zest.
    3. In a small bowl, combine cayenne pepper, ground black pepper, and salt. Brush each fillet with olive oil, and sprinkle with spices.
    4. Arrange fillets on grill grate, and cook for 3 minutes per side. For each fiery fish taco, top two corn tortillas with fish, sour cream, and corn salsa.

I use a grill pan instead of a grill, use light sour cream, and instead of using corn tortillas I just put the fish/salsa over a bed of quinoa. I also add avocado and tomatoes to the salsa. YUM
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RedneckWmn
    RedneckWmn Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    FROM HUNGRY-GIRL.com

PER SERVING (2 tacos, 1/2 of recipe): 273 calories, 5.75g fat, 330mg sodium, 30g carbs, 5g fiber, 5g sugars, 27g protein -- POINTS® value 5*

We LOVE these things and DEFINITELY recommend going for the optional fruit salsa topping. Mmmmm!

Ingredients:

For Tacos
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup chopped tomato

For Avocado Cream
    2 tbsp. mashed avocado
    1/2 tsp. lime juice

Directions:
    Combine lime juice and spices for the tacos in a large bowl, and mix well. Add fillets and evenly cover both sides of each with seasoned lime juice. Let marinate in the fridge for at least 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for avocado cream in a small bowl and mix well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Spray a grill or grill pan with nonstick spray and bring to medium heat. Grill fish for 5 minutes, and then very carefully flip. Grill for 3 more minutes, or until cooked through. Set aside.

Heat tortillas on the grill or grill pan until warm and just slightly toasted, about 1 minute per side. Plate and spread evenly with avocado cream. Break fish into pieces and evenly divide among tortillas. Top with cabbage, tomatoes and, if you like, some fruity salsa. Fold and enjoy!

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

I made these last weekend, WONDERFUL!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    FROM HUNGRY-GIRL.com

Ingredients:

For Tacos
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup chopped tomato

For Avocado Cream
    2 tbsp. mashed avocado
    1/2 tsp. lime juice

Directions:

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

I plan on making these this week!!
  • georgette70
    georgette70 Posts: 158
    Options
    :happy: bump....Love Love Love fish tacos...only had them once and Milestones and they were soooooooo good!
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    FROM HUNGRY-GIRL.com

Ingredients:

For Tacos
    2 tbsp. lime juice
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. ground cumin
    1/2 tsp. chili powder
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/4 cup chopped tomato

For Avocado Cream
    2 tbsp. mashed avocado
    1/2 tsp. lime juice

Directions:

MAKES 2 SERVINGS

I put the previous receipe with the following one but used the spice for the meat from the following instead of the previous and I omitted the cabbage and tomato from the first receipe and used the following cilantro topping as well as the avacado stuff from the first. I doubled the first receipe and left the second the same but used only 5 and 8 wraps. So awesome! Hope that all makes sense!

Fiery Fish Tacos

Ingredients

* 1 cup corn
    * 1/2 cup diced red onion
    * 1 cup peeled, chopped jicama
    * 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
    * 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
    * 1 lime, zested and juiced
    * 2 tablespoons sour cream
    * 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
    * 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
    * 2 tablespoons salt
    * 6 (4 ounce) fillets tilapia
    * 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * 12 corn tortillas, warmed
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i just had a fish taco at a mexican restaraunt....and IT WAS DELICIOUS! I just had to post that haha, but i didn't eat the corn tortilla. I have had some that were made with ahi ahi (don't know how its spelt) and homemade tartar sauce and the ahi ahi was so light and non fishy my dad swore up and down it was chicken haha