Never been to a gym or really exercised... I NEED SOME HELP!

Options
Im sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum, I just created this today to see if i could get some answers. Ive joined a gym (stil haven't gone) but i have NO IDEA what to do. Ive never been over weight, but ive always had that extra fat in my tummy, and have recently put on 10 pounds because of a new medication. im 5'2" .I used to weight 110-114 And now i weight 124-128 I just want to drop my weight back down to where it was and tone my stomach area so my muffin top goes away. Also toning my butt, thighs, and arms wouldnt be too bad either. I NEVER exercise. Literally. So i dont know where to start in the gym. Is there a place where people warm up? or do i just go where no ones at sit on the floor and start stretching? or doing squats? or lunges? or other exercises like that? I dont know how to weight train? how do i know how much to lift and what way to lift it? Ive thought about hiring a personal trainer for a few days to get the hang of it but i cant afford it... Im a really awkward person, and i know everyone else will be in their own little worlds. But i mean id probably laugh if i saw clumsy awkward me come strolling in the gym with no clue on how to properly use any equipment or even know what to do! I dont know what exercises to start with or any exercise routines. Im an absolute beginner in fitness.. I didnt even do PE in highschool... Id just do something to get in trouble so i didnt have to do it... I SERIOUSLY NEED SOME HELP!!! And once again im sorry if i posted in the wrong area. I know people dont like that kind of stuff... Thank you!!!

Replies

• Reema_capricorn
    Reema_capricorn Posts: 1,032 Member
    Options
    Honestly? gymming is a huge waste of money and without a trainer,there's no hope!(I used to gym without a trainer and I quit,I am not a pretty sight anymore :( but I am working out to get in shape :smile: Since you are a beginner and need to be educated about workout and good eating I recommend that you go through www.shape.com and similar websites(try Google) and to start with working out at home you can browse through youtube for videos.I am doing JM boost metabolism and there's www.sweatn.com,www.fitnessblender.com and www.tribesports.com for encouragement and advice! I hope this has helped you.
  • etmadly
    Options
    Given that you've never really worked out your first goal should be to get your body adapted to it. If you are really looking to get serious about it I suggest you start with some stationary bike to see how you feel after a little cardio and work your way up from there.

As far as the rest of your body goes you may want to get into a yoga program at your gym or some type of group exercise to help you learn more about working out and meeting new people. Looking up workouts on the internet is great but it is hard to feel good about working out when you feel awkward around the people at the gym. So join a group program, meet new people, and learn new things. Whats the worst that could happen?
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Don't worry! Lots of people are nervous about going to the gym at first.. I definitely was! And I am still learning tons of how-to's..

If I were you, I would go and powerwalk on the treadmill or try the elliptical machine or stationary bike machine. All of these can be very mellow depending on the resistance number you set and the speed. Also maybe ask a friend to go with you to help you learn about the machines? Or even watch a YouTube video on how to operate these machines..

Download some good, fast paced music ( listen to "dance cardio" on pandora. While you are on the machines, watch what people are doing. That is often how I learn how to do certain strength training g exercises (with free weigs or a machine).

Also for days that you don't wanna go to the gym, you could do a fitness DVD st home. Like Jillian michaels or whatever..

Good luck!
  • chellebublz
    chellebublz Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I think I would start with the treadmill actually, do a couch to 5k type of thing. So many people say that the biggest changes they've seen in their body came from running. And then work your way into weight training to tone.
  • YakovSmirnoff
    Options
    Hi samantharose8,

Most gyms usually have a freestyle area that is used for aerobics/boxing/yoga/etc so you can try stretching there.

As for technique - are there any staff that can assist you in the correct usage of equipment? Do you have any friends that exercise regularly who would be willing to assist?

In terms of weight - start out low (lower than what you think) to give your body time to adjust, help you perfect your techique and form, and avoid injury. My rountine of weights is usually 15 reps by 3 sets, alternating between two machines (one legs, the other arms). For example: 15 repetition of lateral pull downs, followed by 15 reps of leg press, then repeat that twice more to get 3 sets.

Also remember that when doing weights, make sure your movements are fluid and in control. None of this jerking, erratic movements!

Hope this helps a bit.