Exercise Calories - Help!

Options
I just really need a simple answer to this as I have been trawling the MFP forums regarding exercise calories and everyone just seems to go off into huge arguments with each other about what is right and wrong.

Basically my calories are set at 1200 per day, if I then exercise adding up to say 500 calories for example my NET calories for the day are 700 that's too low right?

Should I be aiming to eat those calories back and have my NET calories at 1200?

Replies

• ChristineLondon
    ChristineLondon Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hiya. I read this post, think it explains what you should do:

https://api.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/713460--eating-back-exercise-calories-simple-breakdown

xx
  • octobercycle
    Options
    Yes
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    1200 is the minimum calories that most women should be eating, so yes if your exercise nets lower than that you should eat them back. if your exercise nets higher than 1200 then i would say it's your choice whether you want to eat them back or not, depending on your weight loss goals.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I just really need a simple answer to this as I have been trawling the MFP forums regarding exercise calories and everyone just seems to go off into huge arguments with each other about what is right and wrong.

Basically my calories are set at 1200 per day, if I then exercise adding up to say 500 calories for example my NET calories for the day are 700 that's too low right?

Yes - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options

Yes. That is how MFP is designed to work.

However, expect just as much disagreement on your thread as any other. :smile:
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    You logic is entirely correct.

Although suggest reading this to show you why 1200 net a day is too low:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • JoanneKPerkins
    Options
    Thank you everyone. It does appear even NET of 1200 calories is to low. Apparently I should be eating 1500 or so and that's before any exercise calories come into the mix!! ???? It's all very confusing and I don't know how I would manage eating all those extra calories!
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    I'm also grappling with this recent revelation that I wasn't eating enough.

I had only just got used to eating 1200 net and started to enjoy the slight feelings of hunger, because it meant i was in control of my food rather than the food being on control of me!

I guess alarm bells need to start ringing at that kind of talk!

I've just calculated my sedentary TDEE to be 1688 so I set my daily net calories to be 1400 and to eat back my exercise. Honestly I prefer it this way as it brings in an element of motivation and reward for the exercise.

It's only been 5 or so days since I upped from 1200 so it will be a while before I notice the difference.

Last night I felt uncomfortably full after eating and I hated the feeling - but looking back on my food log I only netted 1300! (I forgot to eat a banana I was planning on eating)

Feel free to add me, my diary is open.
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Emma, I feel exactly the same! I too was almost 'enjoying' feeling hungry as towards the end of last year I never did because I was constantly eating rubbish!

I too have just increased my daily allowance from 1500 to 1700 and it's really hard to increase those calories without feeling 'bad'. In the past I would have stuffed chocolate sweets or cake down my throat but now I'm trying to make a sensible choice, somehow not eating is easier!

good luck!
  • JoanneKPerkins
    Options
    I have worked out my TDEE and then as suggested on other posts I have taken off 30% (I have 69lbs to lose) to give my calorie allowance to lose weight. However, it also states not to eat below your BMR and taking 30% off my TDEE goes below BMR so I have had to go with minus 25% to keep me within BMR but this is still eating 1700+ calories that's 500 more calories!!! Still really confused and disheartened now and have no idea what I am bloody doing :(
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I have worked out my TDEE and then as suggested on other posts I have taken off 30% (I have 69lbs to lose) to give my calorie allowance to lose weight. However, it also states not to eat below your BMR and taking 30% off my TDEE goes below BMR so I have had to go with minus 25% to keep me within BMR but this is still eating 1700+ calories that's 500 more calories!!! Still really confused and disheartened now and have no idea what I am bloody doing :(
    Try not to get too stressed out over it. Try one way for a few weeks and see how you get on. 1700 sounds very reasonable - if you're doing the TDEE -25% method, then don't eat back additional exercise calories. If you're going with a lower MFP goal, then eat back additional exercise calories. Pick whichever way you think would suit you best. If you think you'd rather eat the same number of calories every day regardless of whether you exercise or not - then the TDEE method would be better. If after a few weeks things aren't going as planned, you can tweak things.

And 1700 is not a huge amount to eat - it's less than the average recommended amount for women, so don't worry about not being able to eat it. It might just take a bit of planning at first to make sure you get enough in. If you really struggle, aim for calorie-dense foods (cheese, nuts, seeds, nut butters, avocados, full fat dairy, olive oil... basically thing with fats) so you get more calories without feeling stuffed.
  • EmmaKarney
    Options
    Emma, I feel exactly the same! I too was almost 'enjoying' feeling hungry as towards the end of last year I never did because I was constantly eating rubbish!

I too have just increased my daily allowance from 1500 to 1700 and it's really hard to increase those calories without feeling 'bad'. In the past I would have stuffed chocolate sweets or cake down my throat but now I'm trying to make a sensible choice, somehow not eating is easier!

good luck!

Good luck to you too - we'll get there!